Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: 2 inch receiver on 37SS

  1. Print this Post   #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    USA - AZ
    Posts
    59

    2 inch receiver on 37SS

    I have a 2017 Bighorn Traveler 37SS and want to put a 2 inch trailer hitch on it to carry two kayaks. I am thinking about the Curt 13703. It bolts in as I donít want a welded in place because of vibration. It is rated at 350 lbs. Has anyone put this type on their rig or have any other suggestions. Kayaks weight 57 pounds each. Going to use the Verikayak carrier that holds two kayaks.

  2. Print this Post   #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    USA - IN
    Posts
    1,300

    Re: 2 inch receiver on 37SS

    Thats a lot of weight to have hanging on the back of a fiver, on a receiver thats just bolted on. Not all fivers have the road bounce like ours did apparently. Ours going down the road developed a bouncing affect. That was amplified in the rear of the coach specifically to the point , where ours with a bolted (flimsy) on receiver snapped bike racks like rag dolls. So consider not just the static weight of the load, but perhaps the road shock xferred into your rack for your kayaks.
    2015 Landmark Ashland 365
    2014 RAM 3500 Laramie Long Horn, HO diesel dually, 3.73, AISIN
    2013 Big Horn 3260RS (sold)
    2011 Elkridge 26RLSS(sold)

  3. Print this Post   #3
    Moderator danemayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    USA - CO
    Posts
    19,973

    Re: 2 inch receiver on 37SS

    I've seen where people carry kayaks on the back of their RV. But length of the kayak could be a problem.


    Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • Goodyear G114 17.5" tires
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps & Dirt Destroyer

    2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Sailun Terramax A/T 4S, 235/80R -17. 5 Tires
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS


    Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

    Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

  4. Print this Post   #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    USA - AZ
    Posts
    59

    Re: 2 inch receiver on 37SS

    Quote Originally Posted by danemayer View Post
    I've seen where people carry kayaks on the back of their RV. But length of the kayak could be a problem.
    We have 10 footers and the rack is adjustable to keep them from hitting the ground. But, Iím sure the bounce would be terrible. Thinking of a receiver mounted underneath the rig not bolted to the square bumper. thanks for your thoughts!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by sengli View Post
    Thats a lot of weight to have hanging on the back of a fiver, on a receiver thats just bolted on. Not all fivers have the road bounce like ours did apparently. Ours going down the road developed a bouncing affect. That was amplified in the rear of the coach specifically to the point , where ours with a bolted (flimsy) on receiver snapped bike racks like rag dolls. So consider not just the static weight of the load, but perhaps the road shock xferred into your rack for your kayaks.
    Was yours bolted to the square bumper or up under the frame of the rig?

  5. Print this Post   #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    USA - MI
    Posts
    12

    Re: 2 inch receiver on 37SS

    So this is a question near to us, we looked at that same hitch and stayed away. We had a 2" tubing hitch custom built and welded onto our '16 Bighorn, loaded the "Kayak Rack" with 2 12 foot kayaks and two bikes, the amount of twist was bad enough I was worried not only breaking off but hitting the back window. Were not so much worried about bounce as we have a Moryde suspension that keeps that down to a min but, I'm leaving in an hour to go back to the welder and have it stiffened and braced. We do carry '12 kayaks and the nose is 17" of the ground, which puts us at '13 "5 which is one inch under the limit. I will be documenting the install, both for us and the welder. Unfortunately, Kayak season is over up here but we still carry 2 bikes no problem on a bike rack.
    Bob n Lori
    2016 Bighorn 3570RS
    2014 Ram 6.7CTD DRW 4.10 Asian

  6. Print this Post   #6
    Senior Member Flick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    USA - TX
    Posts
    429

    Re: 2 inch receiver on 37SS

    Quote Originally Posted by NewHopians View Post
    I have a 2017 Bighorn Traveler 37SS and want to put a 2 inch trailer hitch on it to carry two kayaks. I am thinking about the Curt 13703. It bolts in as I donít want a welded in place because of vibration. It is rated at 350 lbs. Has anyone put this type on their rig or have any other suggestions. Kayaks weight 57 pounds each. Going to use the Verikayak carrier that holds two kayaks.
    Iím always for overkill but for my thinking, I would consider a pair of 2Ē receivers spaced several feet apart instead of the normal one. This would reduce a lot of the side to side twisting and offer a more secure setup.

    - - - Updated - - -
    Eddie and Jomaye
    HOC #7088

    2015 Heartland Cyclone 4100 HD
    -4 U Cam observation camera
    -Dish Tailgater Pro
    -On The Go Double Standard softener
    -Splendide washer/dryer combo
    -TireMinder bluetooth TPMS
    -RV Smart 50 amp surge protector

    2019 Ford F-350 DRW FX4 Lariat
    -Ultimate Lariat package
    -4:10 LS gears
    -2Ē front lift/Bilstein shocks
    -Air Lift 5000 Ultimate air bags
    -Air Lift Gen 2 Bluetooth wireless compressor
    -20k Reese fifth wheel and rail adapter
    -35Ē TOYO Open Country M/T tires on stock 17Ē rims
    -RDS 60 gal tool box combo w/gauge
    -RV Toll Pass

Similar Threads

  1. Bragging on my dealer and Heartland (Bighorn Traveler 37SS)
    By rmn72 in forum Bighorn Traveler - General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-24-2017, 08:03 PM
  2. Front mount 2 inch receiver
    By DWChris in forum Trailer Hitches and Pin Boxes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-23-2017, 11:44 AM
  3. 2-inch receiver hitch on my 2013 3070
    By LyleJones in forum Bighorn - Modifications
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-28-2015, 03:01 PM
  4. 2 inch receiver on Bighorn
    By Redrider007 in forum Prospective Owner Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-05-2014, 11:03 AM
  5. 2 inch,hitch, receiver
    By twowheelers in forum Bighorn - Ask The Factory
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 09:22 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •