possible by-pass valve leak - help please

Mrsfish

2014 BH 3010re...we have been traveling all summer with no issues. (knock on wood) Earlier this week we did routine maintenance on the rig - including checking the anode for wear. all was good, anode reinstalled and water turned back on. We now have a small leak in the area that we cannot find. with the wall down we can see the wet board supporting the UDC. it APPEARS to be wet from the hot water by-pass valve but we cannot find any source of leak..have performed a tissue test on all connections around the water heater or UDC area. the only indication of a leak is the wet board - which of course is seeping into the pass through now. we have now drained the HW tank, reinstalled the anode with fresh plumbers tape and turned off all water to the rig. With a fan blowing to try and dry out the board and the floor of the pass thru I thought i would ask the smarter people on this site for any ideas...and if it is the 3 way by-pass valve - does anyone have a part number?

Last edited:

danemayer

Ann,

On most of our rigs, there's braided flex hosing between the cutoffs and the Pex tubing. I've seen those connections leak. Also, the 90 degree swivel fitting that attaches to the water heater can be troublesome.

Tissue on each of the connection points ought to pick up something.

It's much less common, but I've also heard of the pipe coming out of the water heater outlet (upper connection) developing pinhole leaks.

Mrsfish

thanks Dan - but unless that water is transfering via some unknown means...the leak appears to be at the by-pass valve - or at least the wet wood indicates that. Everything that i tested around the water heater was dry and no visual sign of leaking.

Mrsfish

SOLVED - leak found, part ordered. After drying out the area overnight - we turned the water back on and immediately found the drip coming from the by pass valve and the 90* joint. No fix must replace. - cost ~ $75.. heartland parts department was awesome and we had part ordered immediately..