REPAIRED - Southwire power reel issue.

TrailCreek

I have an issue with their 50 amp electric power reel. Inside, a plastic drive wheel with 6 metal studs engages the metal chain sprocket when you retract the cord. The problem I have is the studs have pushed out of place, with three coming completely out of the plastic drive wheel. I put them back and aligned all six but nothing will stop them from dislodging again. Does anyone have a similar issue/fix?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

david-steph2018

Re: Southwire power reel issue.

I have an issue with their 50 amp electric power reel. Inside, a plastic drive wheel with 6 metal studs engages the metal chain sprocket when you retract the cord. The problem I have is the studs have pushed out of place, with three coming completely out of the plastic drive wheel. I put them back and aligned all six but nothing will stop them from dislodging again. Does anyone have a similar issue/fix?

We had the same issue. Southwire sent me a replacement piece at no cost when our reel broke. But at that time the unit was only 15 months old. The replacement they sent was all metal, not plastic.

TrailCreek

I've contacted Southwire but they now make you fill out a form on their website. No confirmation or case number. Guess I just have to be patient. Warranty or not, I need the new metal part.
3c00d7b39f8fa504225a9d4475cf1473.jpg
a59a7e71585061944014016dc8576d1e.jpg

mlpeloquin

Have you tried Gorilla Glue? It is a water proof polyurethane glue that sticks to everything. Well maybe not teflon or delrin. Use a clamp to hold the pins in until set.

TrailCreek

If I don't get a response from Southwire, I'll get a machine shop to make one. Having to pull the J trim is too much work to risk on glue.

TrailCreek

Finally got a reply, but not from the Ask an expert link on their home page. Drilled down to the rv section and sent a message. Got a quick reply.

Had to buy a rebuild kit with a metal replacement part. Works like a champ (so far).

david-steph2018

Glad you got the reel fixed. What I started to do now is not pull my power cord all the way out. We have a 50 amp extension that we always use now, unless we are really close to the power post.
In my mind I know it is repaired, and now with a metal part not plastic, so it should be better. But with all that weight from the cord, can't help but to think all that weight being pulled by that set-up. So I pull out just enough then add the extension cord to reach the post.

TrailCreek

I was lucky and the reel and cord were initially replaced under an extended warranty. The service company gave me the old one and now it's a spare.

Montana Mac

carl.swoyer

Finally got a reply, but not from the Ask an expert link on their home page. Drilled down to the rv section and sent a message. Got a quick reply.

Had to buy a rebuild kit with a metal replacement part. Works like a champ (so far).

What's the part number for the rebuild kit?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

TrailCreek

Is there a way to get to the power cord reel without removing the Jwrap? We have a 2019 3760 BigHorn.
Not sure on a BigHorn but no way without removing it on our Newport. Maybe replace the gears if you remove the end closure that keeps road grime out.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Robert H.

Not sure on a BigHorn but no way without removing it on our Newport. Maybe replace the gears if you remove the end closure that keeps road grime out.

Just received the new parts for my reel. We have a Oshkosh and yes you have to remove Jwrap to gain access to the bolts to remove the reel. Waiting for the rain to stop so I can do mine. Good luck.

TrailCreek

It's been a while since I fixed mine, and it was out since the whole reel assembly was replaced under warranty, and they let me have the old reel. There is a cover plate on the left side, and you may be able to replace the gears without removing the entire reel. Is anyone out there who has fixed this in place?

Wanderers

Thanks to everyone for your guidance. We were able to remove the reel but it did involve removing the J wrap. That wasn't difficult to remove or replace. We were able to find an airline mechanic in our RV park who manufactured. the missing pins using heavy duty nails and glued them back in place. The hose reel works great. We spent about 4 hours on this project including the hour our friend spent making the new parts. However our experience with Shoreline was less than desirable. The rep told us they do not sell parts to individuals, and I was directed to Amazon to buy a new reel at the cost of about $1100. Thanks to our in-house mechanic and the guidance posted on this forum, the cost of this project was a six-pack of beer!