F-350 and Bighorn?

gpcvg

Does anyone use a SRW F-350 to tow a Bighorn? I have a 3760 and I want to get rid of my dually if I can. Our Bighorn isn't much over dry weight, We never have water in the fresh water tank and I always try to have very little water in the gray or black tanks when traveling. It might have 1000 pounds extra when we travel. Just exploring the idea of the SRW for now.

Kennyk

I’ve towed a 3870 bighorn for the last 3 years with a f350 srw. Never had a problem. Tows like a dream. Stops well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYSUPstater

Does anyone use a SRW F-350 to tow a Bighorn? I have a 3760 and I want to get rid of my dually if I can. Our Bighorn isn't much over dry weight, We never have water in the fresh water tank and I always try to have very little water in the gray or black tanks when traveling. It might have 1000 pounds extra when we travel. Just exploring the idea of the SRW for now.

What are the weight stats of your Big Horn?

donr827

I towed all of my fifth wheelers with a SRW but we had trailers that were not too long and we were vacation trips only. Good idea to weigh your trailer.

rhodies1

I tow tow with a Ford 350 SRW. My Bighorn is a 3455 model..dry wt 12900 lbs. had it weighed.. I tow all over Nova Scotia and have towed to Pennsylvania every year ..No issue. Truck handles well. I agree with the comments that Duallies are better but I’ve never had an issue. Just ordered a new truck yesterday...2021 GMC 3500 SRW. Denali..Dually is not for me...

gpcvg

What are the weight stats of your Big Horn?

I haven't put the trailer on the scales yet,(planning to do that on our way back home on this trip) but I would guess we are around 14200-14500 lbs. We only tow twice a year for long distances(spring and fall trips). All of our other trips are local and no more than an hour or 2. The F-350 I'm looking at has a payload of 4260 and I think we should be under that with the wife, 2 Labs, and I. We travel light for some reason. After this trip, I'm planning on removing some of the things I have that aren't used in awhile.

NYSUPstater

I haven't put the trailer on the scales yet,(planning to do that on our way back home on this trip) but I would guess we are around 14200-14500 lbs. We only tow twice a year for long distances(spring and fall trips). All of our other trips are local and no more than an hour or 2. The F-350 I'm looking at has a payload of 4260 and I think we should be under that with the wife, 2 Labs, and I. We travel light for some reason. After this trip, I'm planning on removing some of the things I have that aren't used in awhile.

Will gather that the 14,5 is max weight. If so, then yes a SRW will be AOK. I had a '15 F350 SRW and thought she'd be the last truck I'd get. Then we got the Big Country which put me at max on everything and over on some.Truck towed it w/o a prob as most will state and like yourself, I love the SRW (especially in the winter and towing a 4 place sled trailer). Year after we got the BC, we decided to go to FL in mid summer for vaykay. Being over on tires w/o anyone in cab and knowing all the extra heat we'd encounter, I had a gut feeling that would not go away. So ended up getting a DRW. Now, our dry weight is 14,000 and max is 16,000. Scaled out w/ the '15, pin is 3700 and 5er is 15,980. The DRW is awesome for towing the 5er, and so-so w/ the sled trailer. I know the newest of trucks have increased their GVW's and now in the mid 4,000 range of cargo. This being said, we'd have less than 1,000 lbs avail (which is still a lot), but IMO cutting it close if you have 4-5 people in truck and such). Many will state too that anything north of 15,5 max trailer weight is DRW territory, and there are others that will say otherwise. Have to look at your own reasons.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We towed our Landmark Key West with a 3500 are and did fine with bigger wheel and heavier tires on the truck to handle the pin weight. Yours is lighter though. We just like the stability we feel with the dually, then with our Landmark and now with our DRV.

mlpeloquin

If you are not going cross country or north to south with high winds or gusts, a srw will do. But as soon as you do, you will wish you had the dully. I loved the stability. I watched srw trucks with fifth wheels get pushed with gusts that did not move me. Made me glad I had picked a dully. I can park it almost anywhere, because I am used to it. I still have my truck and love it. My back and knees cannot handle the setup and tear down of a fifth wheel now, but miss the storage space and room that we had along with the Heartland rallies.

gpcvg

We do 2 big trips each year or at least big to me. We have one planned in the spring to Arizona and one to Wyoming, Idaho, and Utah in the fall. Outside of those trip, we stay within 2 hours of home. I have the dually now and would like something smaller if I can. But only if it works. We have only been RVing for about 4 yrs so all the advice is welcome.

cashmore

If you are not going cross country or north to south with high winds or gusts, a srw will do. But as soon as you do, you will wish you had the dully. I loved the stability. I watched srw trucks with fifth wheels get pushed with gusts that did not move me. Made me glad I had picked a dully. I can park it almost anywhere, because I am used to it. I still have my truck and love it. My back and knees cannot handle the setup and tear down of a fifth wheel now, but miss the storage space and room that we had along with the Heartland rallies.

X2 - I’ve used both SWR and DWR trades for the DRW about 15 years ago and being based north of Denver I travel in wind a lot and I’m glad that I have stuck with the DRW. I have no issues parking sometime I just have to walk a little bit longer but never an issue.

SNOKING

Pin weight and TV Rear GAWR rating is the issue. We towed our 2017 BH3575el for two years, most loaded heavy as full timers with a 2015 RAM 3500 SRW 4x4 CC SB. The 3575el has a low 2435 dry pin weight. Any trailer with a 3000+ dry pin weight will most likely overload the rear axle/tires of a SRW when loaded for extended travel. We did not have a W/D or gen set. If we did we would have been over our 7K RGAWR. Cat Scale is your friend. Chris

brianlajoie

We have a F350 srw and a bighorn 3010re. When I weighed the wheel positions, I found out 1 tire was over weight. Combination of offset fuel tank and OEM tires not fully rated for 1 ton (in my opinion). Bought custom 19.5 wheels and run Toyo commercial truck tires. Solved weight issue and stability much improved. Took rig to Alaska in 2018 and never had an issue.