Sailun Tire Blowout

cgaskins

I am a huge fan of Sailun Tires. I have run the 637T since 2014 on this trailer with ZERO issues. I immediately replaced the crap tires Heartland put on the trailer from the factory in the September of 2014 with Sailuns. I replaced them 3 years later in early 2018 with another set of 637Ts. So this tire had probably 12,000 miles on it and was 3 years old (mfg date) when it blew.

I had no warning from my TPMS. I actually caught site of the debris coming off the tire (front axle on driver side) in my mirror before the TPMS went off. I was only running about 50 miles per hour when it blew. The tire was basically shredded. I could tell there was a sidewall blow out on the side facing the trailer deep into the sidewall - not near the edge of the tire but closer to the center of the tire. So I suspect it had a sidewall failure. I am not sure why. I was running 105 PSI at the time (as I always do).

I am going to to just chalk it up to a tire defect or the possibility that I ran over something in the road that I didn't see. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_20200904_103348 (1).jpg

Flick

I am a huge fan of Sailun Tires. I have run the 637T since 2014 on this trailer with ZERO issues. I immediately replaced the crap tires Heartland put on the trailer from the factory in the September of 2014 with Sailuns. I replaced them 3 years later in early 2018 with another set of 637Ts. So this tire had probably 12,000 miles on it and was 3 years old (mfg date) when it blew.

I had no warning from my TPMS. I actually caught site of the debris coming off the tire (front axle on driver side) in my mirror before the TPMS went off. I was only running about 50 miles per hour when it blew. The tire was basically shredded. I could tell there was a sidewall blow out on the side facing the trailer deep into the sidewall - not near the edge of the tire but closer to the center of the tire. So I suspect it had a sidewall failure. I am not sure why. I was running 105 PSI at the time (as I always do).

I am going to to just chalk it up to a tire defect or the possibility that I ran over something in the road that I didn't see. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 64659

All of your comments are right on. You did everything that most of us would do. But the “cleaned” up well used words, STUFF HAPPENS, is applicable here.
Also, Sailuns are being used a lot and if this kind of failure shows up a lot over the next few years, I’m sure we’ll take another look at their quality.

SNOKING

Someone with a Landmark 365 Oshkosh just posted about a failure of one on the Keystone forum.

Attachments

• Sailun blowout 2.jpg
    Sailun blowout 2.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

RickL

View attachment 64659

in looking at the picture and not being able look at it hands on, it appears to be a classic run flat condition. If you have access to the tire look at the inner liner on the tread face and in the shoulder areas. Yes, I understand you were using TPMS, but having been in the tire industry for 35+ yrs I have seen quite a few tire failures. The VAST majority of the failures were a result of an outside object compromising the integrity of the liner. Just my 2¢.

cgaskins

in looking at the picture and not being able look at it hands on, it appears to be a classic run flat condition. If you have access to the tire look at the inner liner on the tread face and in the shoulder areas. Yes, I understand you were using TPMS, but having been in the tire industry for 35+ yrs I have seen quite a few tire failures. The VAST majority of the failures were a result of an outside object compromising the integrity of the liner. Just my 2¢.

Good observation - thanks for the info. I wonder if my TPMS didn't warn fast enough...

-Chris

SNOKING

"when it blew" in many cases is a misnomer.

Here is text for the one I posted.

"
215/75R 17.5 Sailun failure. Running about 65MPH on US550 in the middle of nowhere New Mexico; an explosion. Nothing in my mirror. Betty, you think that was us?? YES the tire on my side just exploded"

This one did blow! A tire with 125 PSI is going to be heard if it has a sudden failure, and most likely a LRG at 110 PSI also will be hurd.

cgaskins

"when it blew" in many cases is a misnomer.

Here is text for the one I posted.

"
215/75R 17.5 Sailun failure. Running about 65MPH on US550 in the middle of nowhere New Mexico; an explosion. Nothing in my mirror. Betty, you think that was us?? YES the tire on my side just exploded"

This one did blow! A tire with 125 PSI is going to be heard if it has a sudden failure, and most likely a LRG at 110 PSI also will be hurd.

It was literally raining so hard - I never heard a thing...

TXgearhead

Someone with a Landmark 365 Oshkosh just posted about a failure of one on the Keystone forum.[/QUOTE

Yeah that was me. Tires were made 4216. Maybe they aged out or I ran over something.
And yes it exploded, loudly.
Discount Tire replaced the Sailun with a Hercules Strong guard HRA. Same specs as Sailun. It kinda busted my bubble about Sailuns.
I will replace the Sailuns before next summer. Thinking about Hercules. Price is about the same. Somebody talk me out of it.

Last edited:

danemayer

Aging of tires is a problem. I put Goodyear 17.5" G114 tires on the RV in Oct 2014. In May 2020 at 5.5 years, looking at a 3,000 mile upcoming trip, I decided I didn't want to chance a tire failure. Even though they had no apparent tread wear at 25,000 miles, I bit the bullet and had new ones put on.

Flick

Someone with a Landmark 365 Oshkosh just posted about a failure of one on the Keystone forum.[/QUOTE

Yeah that was me. Tires were made 4216. Maybe they aged out or I ran over something.
And yes it exploded, loudly.
Discount Tire replaced the Sailun with a Hercules Strong guard HRA. Same specs as Sailun. It kinda busted my bubble about Sailuns.
I will replace the Sailuns before next summer. Thinking about Hercules. Price is about the same. Somebody talk me out of it.

There are so many things that can affect the lifespan of a tire. A couple things that come to mind is the following. If we can store the rv where the tires are not in direct sunlight, that should create more longevity. Hitting deep chuck holes or curbing certainly weakens a tire. Twisting and turning on sharp corners or parking lots can’t be good for them. Running them under inflated certainly takes its toll along with the extreme weight. These are to mention a few. In a perfect tire world, tires probably would last longer than they do.
I’m a fan of rotating my rv tires because that leading tire along with the severe twisting of the rear tire certainly adds to the problems we face with some tires.
I also think it’s great that some people would want to branch out and use a tire similar to the Hercules Strong. How will we ever know if other tires aren’t being used? The Hercules tire, made by Cooper, certainly seems to be a tough tire and that’s what we need. The 14 ply rated Sailun is one of the tires of personal preference for now, but they are China made tires supposedly made in a higher rated manufacturing plant with more strict standards. Problem is that it takes years to get on the road test results and we know there are tires no one should use.
Having a tire failure can be traumatic to the rv and the owner. If anyone installs other than the normally named brands, I hope you will keep all in the loop so we can learn. I owe nothing to the couple of leading tire brands normally mentioned here. Their track record to date is what sells them.

TXgearhead

We bought the Oshkosh used. It didn't look very used, but who knows how the previous owner treated it, specifically the tires. I'm on the fence about the Hercules tires. The 5th is in the shop getting the body damage repaired so I can't just walk out and look at the tire, but I think the Hercules is made in China. I believe the only tire that isn't is the Goodyear. I may even go the Goodyear route. They are a "little" bit less expensive than I previously thought, but the price will still bring a tear to your eye.
I keep a close watch on my tires. I use a Joe's Racing digital gauge that I confirm by another digital and also confirm by the truck TPMS. I can't get my Trakker TPMS to change its base line from 80psi to 123psi.
I have only had one other blowout in my life. I was speed testing my Moms new 1965 Impala 327 on a downhill section of I-45 near Huntsville and had a blowout as soon as I backed it down to 70mph. Close call! LOL

'Lil Guy'

I don't think you can go wrong with the Sailun tires. Had mine since October 2015. Going to attend the Athens rally and then probably replace. Still hold air with little or no leak down which I love and wear is good. I just feel the need to replace after 5 years. I'll go with same tires. I travel at 70 to 75 MPH and haven't had any issues. Price is good and I don't think you could get a better tire. Everyone says they always run the correct aair pressure but I know lots of people who don't. Any tire could have a blowout whatever the cause. JMO

carl.swoyer

I'm staying with the goodyear g614 tires.
There warranty is the best!
To include body work if you have a blowout.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

TXgearhead

One of my issues with Sailuns is where to buy them. I'm not too enthused about buying a tire on line. What do you do if you get a set of tires with very different manufactured dates? What do you do if they are 18 months old? I've never seen any on line seller advertise dates. The mail order center is probably in the Phillipines and the warehouse in Kansas.
Anyone know a dealer that carries Sailun, that might be in the Houston area?

chiefneon

Howdy!

If that was a Goodyear tire they would warranty it, replace it and pay for any damages it caused. I know this because I’ve filled claims with GY before and they have always paid. I don’t know if Sailum does or not please let us know if they do.

” Happy Trails “
Chiefneon

TXgearhead

I don't think you can go wrong with the Sailun tires. Had mine since October 2015. Going to attend the Athens rally and then probably replace. Still hold air with little or no leak down which I love and wear is good. I just feel the need to replace after 5 years. I'll go with same tires. I travel at 70 to 75 MPH and haven't had any issues. Price is good and I don't think you could get a better tire. Everyone says they always run the correct aair pressure but I know lots of people who don't. Any tire could have a blowout whatever the cause. JMO

Where are you buying Sailun tires?

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
One of my issues with Sailuns is where to buy them. I'm not too enthused about buying a tire on line. What do you do if you get a set of tires with very different manufactured dates? What do you do if they are 18 months old? I've never seen any on line seller advertise dates. The mail order center is probably in the Phillipines and the warehouse in Kansas.
Anyone know a dealer that carries Sailun, that might be in the Houston area?

The last two sets I purchased were from Big O. I just had a set put on two months ago, they had 2020 dates, and only 4. Sales guy said they are hard to find this year.

carl.swoyer

The last two sets I purchased were from Big O. I just had a set put on two months ago, they had 2020 dates, and only 4. Sales guy said they are hard to find this year.
Try discount tires direct.
I purchased 4 g614s had them shipped to Sheridan Wyoming. Great price 900 and change.
Goodyear warranty is 5 years to include body repairs if the tire fails.
Goodyear said the five years starts from your date of purchase not the mfg date.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
68fb4d7e12b31627c5fa5d55ef2e53bc.jpg
cfda25894dcd1ac48327a09557e26976.jpg