Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: RV Greenhorns; 2021 Milestone 386BH Winter Tips wanted!

  1. Print this Post   #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    USA - TX
    Posts
    5

    RV Greenhorns; 2021 Milestone 386BH Winter Tips wanted!

    Hi All,

    Wife and I just bought our first fifth wheel and it's the 42' Milestone 386BH! Seemed like our best option with the 5 kids. It is currently being delivered to the final destination in Sullivan County, PA Appalachian mountains. (I didn't want to try towing this thing from Texas without any experience).

    I know it states that it has a heated underbelly but I am wondering what else I should consider doing to live in it during the cold winter months? So far I am planning on heat wrapping the well water line right up to the intake as well as the stinky slinky. I will probably place insulation underneath the RV as well as a skirt. Should I add any insulation to the windows or should these new models be ready to handle the cold?

    It has 2 full baths but I am a bit concerned about a 6 gallon tank with 5 girls Would it be better to add in a tankless water heater? I also heard since we are connecting the water in from a well it'll be such cold water that it will have an effect on keeping the water hot...so I am wondering if it is better to add in another large water holding tank for the water to acclimate first? I plan to leave the grey water lines open and I would love to figure out a way to keep the black water open too... maybe install a P-trap and force flush water system in the toilet? I have 0 experience with staying in an RV so I am trying to prep this thing to make it as easy on us as possible before winter hits.

    I guess the heat is done through the propane tank furnace and vents are in the floor but two 30lb tanks probably won't last that long correct? I may add a large 500 gallon propane tank outside the RV and tie it in. OR do people have better heating experience with just using a few electric space heaters? (We will be hooking up to the 50amp panel getting installed on site).

    When it begins to snow should I be clearing the roof off? Would it be worth it to just build a stall for it to keep the rain, snow and sun off of it?

    We don't plan on moving it anytime soon, could be years, and so I want to rig it up best as possible for long term use while we build out the cabin on the property.

    Any other tips and things I should plan on getting to have around would be greatly appreciated!

  2. Print this Post   #2
    Moderator danemayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    USA - CO
    Posts
    19,907

    Re: RV Greenhorns; 2021 Milestone 386BH Winter Tips wanted!

    Hi baldwinsthename,

    Congratulations on the new Milestone and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

    In cold weather, the hard part, as you've figured out already, is keeping the water running. Take a look at our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide for a more comprehensive view of what to do.

    You'll definitely want the large external propane tank. And you'll want to keep an eye on propane levels so you don't run out at 3 AM on the coldest night of the year.

    You can't leave the black tank gate valve open or you'll get a poo pile in the tank that will eventually cause a huge problem.

    With the grays, you can leave them open but will need to close them a day or two before dumping the black tank, so you can rinse out the system with gray water.

    You'll definitely need more hot water. Accumulating hot water inside the trailer may not add hot water. If located before the water heater, you'll still be constrained by the 6 gallon size. If after, the accumulator will not stay hot.

    I'm sure others will chime in with additional thoughts.


    Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • Goodyear G114 17.5" tires
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps & Dirt Destroyer

    2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Sailun Terramax A/T 4S, 235/80R -17. 5 Tires
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS


    Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

    Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

  3. Print this Post   #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    USA - TX
    Posts
    5

    Re: RV Greenhorns; 2021 Milestone 386BH Winter Tips wanted!

    Thank you sir, I will check out that guide. I'm going to rig up everything I can to keep those water lines from freezing!

    Is there a difference between using the grey water tank to flush out the black water and the flush out inlets that are available to hook up for it? I figured using the grey water was maybe when dumping without a water hookup to flush, but I could be wrong?

    I'm wondering if I can just install a horizontal 40 gallon hot water heater in the storage area since it's a pretty large space, I would just have to figure out if it can be electric or needs to be gas.

    I'm surprise nobody has engineered a way to keep the black tank open directly into the sewer and avoid the pile, I think I may have found my mission. I'll keep posted on how it goes!

    Thanks!

  4. Print this Post   #4
    Moderator danemayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    USA - CO
    Posts
    19,907

    Re: RV Greenhorns; 2021 Milestone 386BH Winter Tips wanted!

    When dumping the black tank, sewage can make its way through the pipes to the gate valves for the gray tanks. If you leave the grays valves open while dumping the black tank, you'll probably end up with some sewage in the gray tanks. If you close them while dumping, the only way to rinse the sewage out of the pipes near the gray valves is to dump gray water. The black tank flush won't help with that.

    The galley gray tank can get pretty foul with bits of food if allowed to decay. If you run with the grays open, I'd suggest a good strainer in the kitchen sink to catch as much as possible.


    Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • Goodyear G114 17.5" tires
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps & Dirt Destroyer

    2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Sailun Terramax A/T 4S, 235/80R -17. 5 Tires
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS


    Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

    Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

  5. Print this Post   #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    USA - TX
    Posts
    5

    Re: RV Greenhorns; 2021 Milestone 386BH Winter Tips wanted!

    Quote Originally Posted by danemayer View Post
    When dumping the black tank, sewage can make its way through the pipes to the gate valves for the gray tanks. If you leave the grays valves open while dumping the black tank, you'll probably end up with some sewage in the gray tanks. If you close them while dumping, the only way to rinse the sewage out of the pipes near the gray valves is to dump gray water. The black tank flush won't help with that.

    The galley gray tank can get pretty foul with bits of food if allowed to decay. If you run with the grays open, I'd suggest a good strainer in the kitchen sink to catch as much as possible.
    That's a good point, I didn't think about sewage that could find its way into the gray tanks. Good call on the strainer!

  6. Print this Post   #6
    Senior Member Flick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    USA - TX
    Posts
    387

    Re: RV Greenhorns; 2021 Milestone 386BH Winter Tips wanted!

    Quote Originally Posted by baldwinsthename View Post
    Hi All,

    Wife and I just bought our first fifth wheel and it's the 42' Milestone 386BH! Seemed like our best option with the 5 kids. It is currently being delivered to the final destination in Sullivan County, PA Appalachian mountains. (I didn't want to try towing this thing from Texas without any experience).

    I know it states that it has a heated underbelly but I am wondering what else I should consider doing to live in it during the cold winter months? So far I am planning on heat wrapping the well water line right up to the intake as well as the stinky slinky. I will probably place insulation underneath the RV as well as a skirt. Should I add any insulation to the windows or should these new models be ready to handle the cold?

    It has 2 full baths but I am a bit concerned about a 6 gallon tank with 5 girls Would it be better to add in a tankless water heater? I also heard since we are connecting the water in from a well it'll be such cold water that it will have an effect on keeping the water hot...so I am wondering if it is better to add in another large water holding tank for the water to acclimate first? I plan to leave the grey water lines open and I would love to figure out a way to keep the black water open too... maybe install a P-trap and force flush water system in the toilet? I have 0 experience with staying in an RV so I am trying to prep this thing to make it as easy on us as possible before winter hits.

    I guess the heat is done through the propane tank furnace and vents are in the floor but two 30lb tanks probably won't last that long correct? I may add a large 500 gallon propane tank outside the RV and tie it in. OR do people have better heating experience with just using a few electric space heaters? (We will be hooking up to the 50amp panel getting installed on site).

    When it begins to snow should I be clearing the roof off? Would it be worth it to just build a stall for it to keep the rain, snow and sun off of it?

    We don't plan on moving it anytime soon, could be years, and so I want to rig it up best as possible for long term use while we build out the cabin on the property.

    Any other tips and things I should plan on getting to have around would be greatly appreciated!
    What you are going to do sounds like so much fun, especially for your girls, but I totally agree that if you don’t plan this out properly, it can turn into a real nightmare shortly after the honeymoon period is over.
    The following is what I would do. It wouldn’t be the most economical but I think it would work, using your circumstances.
    First of all, since your talking possible years, I would house the RV in a building similar to what you suggested but close it in. This could help eliminate most of your freezing water problems a lot. If the building is strategically built, it could be a real asset later.
    Second, I would contact an LP gas dealer and let them advise you on your propane needs, size tank, piping into RV and safety in general. Gas is nothing to cut corners on.
    Third, I would consider putting a tankless home water heater on the outside wall of the building. New models have freeze protection and are great to use. After you get your cabin built, it can be removed and installed elsewhere. I would pipe the hot water into the RV temporarily bypassing the RV water heater. If you go with an RV tankless water heater, I think you’ll be wasting your money. And go with propane because electric units demand to many amps for your setup.
    And by the way, well water is generally warmer than any other type of water source. It’s thermally protected by the ground except for your pressure tank and it can be insulated.
    Good luck and enjoy the experience.
    Eddie and Jomaye
    HOC #7088

    2015 Heartland Cyclone 4100 HD
    -4 U Cam observation camera
    -Dish Tailgater Pro
    -On The Go Double Standard softener
    -Splendide washer/dryer combo
    -TireMinder bluetooth TPMS
    -RV Smart 50 amp surge protector

    2019 Ford F-350 DRW FX4 Lariat
    -Ultimate Lariat package
    -4:10 LS gears
    -2” front lift/Bilstein shocks
    -Air Lift 5000 Ultimate air bags
    -Air Lift Gen 2 Bluetooth wireless compressor
    -20k Reese fifth wheel and rail adapter
    -35” TOYO Open Country M/T tires on stock 17” rims
    -RDS 60 gal tool box combo w/gauge
    -RV Toll Pass

  7. Print this Post   #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    USA - TX
    Posts
    5

    Re: RV Greenhorns; 2021 Milestone 386BH Winter Tips wanted!

    Quote Originally Posted by Flick View Post
    What you are going to do sounds like so much fun, especially for your girls, but I totally agree that if you don’t plan this out properly, it can turn into a real nightmare shortly after the honeymoon period is over.
    The following is what I would do. It wouldn’t be the most economical but I think it would work, using your circumstances.
    First of all, since your talking possible years, I would house the RV in a building similar to what you suggested but close it in. This could help eliminate most of your freezing water problems a lot. If the building is strategically built, it could be a real asset later.
    Second, I would contact an LP gas dealer and let them advise you on your propane needs, size tank, piping into RV and safety in general. Gas is nothing to cut corners on.
    Third, I would consider putting a tankless home water heater on the outside wall of the building. New models have freeze protection and are great to use. After you get your cabin built, it can be removed and installed elsewhere. I would pipe the hot water into the RV temporarily bypassing the RV water heater. If you go with an RV tankless water heater, I think you’ll be wasting your money. And go with propane because electric units demand to many amps for your setup.
    And by the way, well water is generally warmer than any other type of water source. It’s thermally protected by the ground except for your pressure tank and it can be insulated.
    Good luck and enjoy the experience.
    Thanks for the advice, I am sure it'll seem fun at first and then we'll wonder what we got ourselves into lol. I'm also wondering if I should just put a regular 50 gallon hot water heater tank inside a storage shed type structure and tie that right into the RV. 20200820_063253_HDR.jpg It will be setup right near the barn and draw from its well water and electric. If things went real bad we would just go into " Grams House" until remedied. That shed is also hooked up and could install 50amp service in it. Maybe I'll make it a utility shed, add the large propane heater in it and a 50 gallon hot water tank in it then run it to the RV.

  8. Print this Post   #8
    Senior Member Flick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    USA - TX
    Posts
    387

    Re: RV Greenhorns; 2021 Milestone 386BH Winter Tips wanted!

    Quote Originally Posted by baldwinsthename View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I am sure it'll seem fun at first and then we'll wonder what we got ourselves into lol. I'm also wondering if I should just put a regular 50 gallon hot water heater tank inside a storage shed type structure and tie that right into the RV. 20200820_063253_HDR.jpg It will be setup right near the barn and draw from its well water and electric. If things went real bad we would just go into " Grams House" until remedied. That shed is also hooked up and could install 50amp service in it. Maybe I'll make it a utility shed, add the large propane heater in it and a 50 gallon hot water tank in it then run it to the RV.
    All good thoughts. Hot water will be your biggest accomplishment because otherwise 7 people could take forever to have enough hot water for all your needs.
    Eddie and Jomaye
    HOC #7088

    2015 Heartland Cyclone 4100 HD
    -4 U Cam observation camera
    -Dish Tailgater Pro
    -On The Go Double Standard softener
    -Splendide washer/dryer combo
    -TireMinder bluetooth TPMS
    -RV Smart 50 amp surge protector

    2019 Ford F-350 DRW FX4 Lariat
    -Ultimate Lariat package
    -4:10 LS gears
    -2” front lift/Bilstein shocks
    -Air Lift 5000 Ultimate air bags
    -Air Lift Gen 2 Bluetooth wireless compressor
    -20k Reese fifth wheel and rail adapter
    -35” TOYO Open Country M/T tires on stock 17” rims
    -RDS 60 gal tool box combo w/gauge
    -RV Toll Pass

  9. Print this Post   #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    USA - TX
    Posts
    5

    Re: RV Greenhorns; 2021 Milestone 386BH Winter Tips wanted!

    Is it still best to add a RV skirt for the winter even if the unit has a "heated underbelly" ?

  10. Print this Post   #10
    Moderator cookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    USA - WI
    Posts
    9,441

    Re: RV Greenhorns; 2021 Milestone 386BH Winter Tips wanted!

    Quote Originally Posted by baldwinsthename View Post
    Is it still best to add a RV skirt for the winter even if the unit has a "heated underbelly" ?
    Absolutely.

    Peace
    Dave
    Dave and Mary
    and C. J.
    2011 Bighorn 3585RL

    2013 RAM 3500, CC, DRW, Aisin
    Heartland Owners Club
    Member #1026

    Owners Club Membership is now free! Click here to learn more

    Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 1 Week Ago, 10:17 AM
  2. EVENT: Heartland Chapter Rally: MS, Picayune - 4/15/2021 to 4/18/2021
    By mountainlovers76 in forum Mississippi Chapter
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-25-2020, 08:13 PM
  3. EVENT: North American Heartland Rally: IN, Goshen - 6/14/2021 to 6/20/2021
    By jbeletti in forum 2021 North American Heartland Owners Rally
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-15-2019, 12:48 PM
  4. Winter Dry Camping Tips
    By Steve and Sharon in forum Heartland General Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-06-2011, 01:46 PM
  5. Tips for winter travelling
    By timeshare in forum Full Timing General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-04-2009, 04:22 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •