How to hook up portable satelite when you have a roof Wingard system

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
We have a roof top wineguard but some times the trees will obstruct the dish. I have purchased a portable dish. I have no Idea where I plug in the coaxial to get it into the trailer.
If I use the cable outlet then It will not hit the receivers.

danemayer

You'll have to disconnect one of the jumpers in the UDC and plug in there. If Directv, depending on the LNB on the portable dish, you may need a power inserter depending on where the existing power inserter is installed.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
You can also buy a flat RG6 cable connector and run the line thru a window close to your receiver. We do that and it works great. You’ll want this phone app: SAToolzDish. Shows you exactly where the satellites are so you can point you’re portable antenna/dish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flick

We have a roof top wineguard but some times the trees will obstruct the dish. I have purchased a portable dish. I have no Idea where I plug in the coaxial to get it into the trailer.
If I use the cable outlet then It will not hit the receivers.

We’ve been using Dish now for several years. When we initially installed, we tried every which way to use the internal factory coax cabling without much success.
I finally went with what Gus suggested to you and ran 2 direct coax cables (I have a dual receiver satellite) from the satellite to the receivers. But I drilled an inlet hole in my udc to feed them to the udc and fished them to the receivers. From the receivers, I hooked them up to a different hdmi input on the TVs. I just change input when watching on the satellite or in your case, you’d change input depending on which satellite you’re using. Works like a charm. No connections anywhere

Krazo

I think I have a solution to your problem. I had a Winegard Traveler on my 2016 3270RS that was totaled in an accident last year in CA. Purchased a 2019 same model as a replacement. Bought a portable for the 2019 Bighorn. Your satellite should have two jumper coaxial cables that connect at the outside hose water hookup panel. Look at the drawing on the side of that panel. You will have to disconnect the input side and hook up the portable satellite dish to that. Use input for living if one satellite hookup. If using two portable satellite the second one will have to be connected in the same as the first one. To use your roof mounted dish you will have to rehookup the two jumper coaxial cables. I do have pictures and schematics if needed. Don’t see anywhere on here to post them though. Would be glad to send pictures, schematics and phone contact if that would help you. Both dealer at 2019 I purchased from and also local Heartland Local dealer were no help.

Krazo

Unhook the jumper coaxial that are marked input at the UDP panel and hook up your portable satellite dish. Reverse the above procedure .to reconnect Winegard Roof Mounted Satellite Dish. Do not use Cable connection, which is strictly for Park Cable.

Last edited:

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
I think I have a solution to your problem. I had a Winegard Traveler on my 2016 3270RS that was totaled in an accident last year in CA. Purchased a 2019 same model as a replacement. Bought a portable for the 2019 Bighorn. Your satellite should have two jumper coaxial cables that connect at the outside hose water hookup panel. Look at the drawing on the side of that panel. You will have to disconnect the input side and hook up the portable satellite dish to that. Use input for living if one satellite hookup. If using two portable satellite the second one will have to be connected in the same as the first one. To use your roof mounted dish you will have to rehookup the two jumper coaxial cables. I do have pictures and schematics if needed. Don’t see anywhere on here to post them though. Would be glad to send pictures, schematics and phone contact if that would help you. Both dealer at 2019 I purchased from and also local Heartland Local dealer were no help.

Thank you, please PM me with your email and I will send mine so you can email the pictures and schematics

rclogg

The easiest way to hook up dish is with a volt meter. Plug in your receiver and with the meter on DV voltage read the voltage at the coaxial connection on the back of the receiver (one lead on the center; one lead on the outer ring) should read 12+ volts DC. The receiver send voltage to the portable to run the adjustment motors. Hook up the box to the extra coaxial connection behind the tv. Now go to the UAC and find the coaxial connector that has voltage. Hook up your portable dish to that connector.