Accent light covers have fallen in slides

Hi. We just purchased a 2018 Heartland Sundance 2890cc fifth wheel. It is not our first camper but it IS our first fifth wheel. We love it! We are having a problem with the accent lighting in the two opposing living/kitchen slides. The plastic cover has fallen twice and you can see the LED lights inside. It is probably not that noticeable to others, but to us, its awful. I had it repaired immediately because it fell on the ride home, and all they did was cut a piece and splice it together. One more ride home and it fell again leaving a gap between where they spliced it. I am looking for any info on how to fix it myself or replace the piece with a longer, solid piece so that it cannot fall. They told me that the glue had just melted away in the Texas heat. I'm not sure about that, but I believe I can probably fix it myself with a little staple that sticks out at the bottom of it or something similar. Any suggestions or ideas where I could buy a new piece to replace it? It looks similar to a 1/4" piece of plexiglass that is a milky or frosted color. LED lights are purple-ish. It has fallen in all 4 sides - 2 on each slide. Hopefully someone can tell me how to add a pic and I will post it so you can see what I am talking about. Thanks for any help!

Flick

Hi. We just purchased a 2018 Heartland Sundance 2890cc fifth wheel. It is not our first camper but it IS our first fifth wheel. We love it! We are having a problem with the accent lighting in the two opposing living/kitchen slides. The plastic cover has fallen twice and you can see the LED lights inside. It is probably not that noticeable to others, but to us, its awful. I had it repaired immediately because it fell on the ride home, and all they did was cut a piece and splice it together. One more ride home and it fell again leaving a gap between where they spliced it. I am looking for any info on how to fix it myself or replace the piece with a longer, solid piece so that it cannot fall. They told me that the glue had just melted away in the Texas heat. I'm not sure about that, but I believe I can probably fix it myself with a little staple that sticks out at the bottom of it or something similar. Any suggestions or ideas where I could buy a new piece to replace it? It looks similar to a 1/4" piece of plexiglass that is a milky or frosted color. LED lights are purple-ish. It has fallen in all 4 sides - 2 on each slide. Hopefully someone can tell me how to add a pic and I will post it so you can see what I am talking about. Thanks for any help!

You can purchase frosted plexiglass online any size you want. Just google frosted plexiglass. You may check at the big box stores or Ace also, but I know you can get it online. If you have to buy a larger piece, it can be cut with a fine tooth woodworking blade or thin metal cutting blade on a portable grinder.
Pictures would help but I think you won’t be able to post pictures until you make a few more posts.

wdk450

There is also a window frosting spray paint that you might be able to get to stick to clear Plexiglas, or apply a sander to the clear Plexiglas. If you have a plastics shop in your area, you might consult with them.

Thank you for your replies! I looked up plexi online and believe that I will just have new pieces cut. I would love to post a pic but cannot as of yet because I'm new here. I have seen this design on a few of the Heartland campers, but no one seems to know what I am talking about until I show them. Then they say... ooohhhh ok. I have even heard a couple say that they didn't even know that there were lights in there! That shocks me because I fiddled with every switch in that camper to see what runs what! hehehe

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Are you talking about the LED lights that are embedded in the fascia of the slides?
You might have to remove the fascia to repair that.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

Are you talking about the LED lights that are embedded in the fascia of the slides?
You might have to remove the fascia to repair that.

Peace
Dave

The Original Poster might want to take pictures, and contact Heartland asking to talk to the Sundance product manager, then e-mail him the pictures.

Bogie

I have the same arrangement in my Sundance. You can remove the frame that holds the Plexiglass by prying up gently with a putty knife. Just work from one end gently prying both sides as you move along the frame. Don't try to force it. It may take several passes but it should come off fairly easily. I have done this and its not too hard. The brads that hold it will either pull through (remaining in the slide wing) or stay in the frame. You want to get rid of them because it's difficult to get them all back in the same holes and they won't really hold anyway. If you have to remove them from the frame, pull them from the back (pliers), through the frame piece so as not to damage the finished surface. Or, you can just cut the ends that sick out off with a pair of side cutters.

Check your area for shops that sell Plexiglass. Or, there are places on line where you can order. As a last resort, you may be able to get replacements from Heartland Service though they may be more expensive.

I don't understand why the dealer spliced the existing unless it broke as they should be a single piece. Also, I don't remember how the Plexiglass is held in the frame, but I think it may be glued. You should be able to easily tell the attachment method once you take one of the frames off. Hot glue would probably work well.

Re-applying the frame to the wall is easiest if you have a pneumatic brad gun that shoots 2 inch brads. Be careful if hand nailing. The short wings of the slide are not very sturdy. Also be careful not to nail through any of the wiring.

Hope that helps.