Heartland is recalling 2019-2021 Cyclone & 2020-2021 Bighorn Traveler trailers

MCStreete

I just had mine done at the heartland factory along with some other warranty work. It’s incredibly easy to add the brace and shims. I can get some pictures in the next couple of days if you still would like them. I have to let the snow settle a little bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pictures would be great, I understand about the snow.

cashmore

Good morning all, sorry for the delay in getting these pictures posted, I had to wait for some snow to melt here so I could get them.

I've added some pictures of what the Heartland factory (repair center) in Elkheart did for the recall on my 2020 Cyclone. There is a double crossmember that bolts to each of the front landing gear legs using 4 bolts 2 on the front and 2 on the back of the leg with a couple of shims behind it. It appears as though they are just tying the two landing gear legs together. If you're looking for something specific that isn't included here, let me know and i'll try and get some different photos.

I was told that its because they re-designed the frame in 2019 and they removed the slight angle from where the landing gear mounts which can cause undue stress and possible collapse, so they designed the crossmember to tie everything together to give more strength. Again this is just what I was told.

This link at NHTSA https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCRIT-20V521-9835.pdf contains the repair instructions that appear to be from Heartland.

Recall 1.1.jpgRecall 1.jpgRecall 2.1.jpgrecall 3.jpgRecall 4.jpg

cashmore

Did they weld that square tubing to the I-beam frame?

Peace
Dave

No. There is about a 1/2" gap between the I-Beam and the new square tubing. All it appears to do is tie the two landing gear legs together and not really add more points connecting them frame.

Chad

MCStreete

No. There is about a 1/2" gap between the I-Beam and the new square tubing. All it appears to do is tie the two landing gear legs together and not really add more points connecting them frame.

Chad
Thanks for the pictures, it looks straightforward. What was the time frame on start to finish?

cashmore

Thanks for the pictures, it looks straightforward. What was the time frame on start to finish?

I had my unit in for other issues as well such as a crack in the side wall and some other warrantee work as well as some work Lippert had to come out and do for spring hangers so it was there for about 15 days in total. As a side note I was very very happy with the Heartland's repair facility, they were great to work with and went beyond the things on my list and corrected items that I didn't even catch myself. If you read the PDF that is available at the link that I posted, it says that heartland will pay .5 hrs for the job. In my opinion, if you have the parts and the correct tools, looking at what was done if it takes more than 30 min to complete you probably shouldn't be doing it in the first place, very simple.

Matt750

I just got off the phone with Heartland. Our Cyclone 4007 is not on the recall list according to the VIN number. He explained that some of the units had the front landing legs installed straight up instead of on a slight angle. The units with the front jacks installed "straight up" are the issue. I know ours are on an angle, but I don't have any pictures at this time. Next time I go out to the camper I'll get some pictures and try to see what degree of angle they sit at. It would be interesting to compare the recalled units against the non-recalled units.

cashmore

I just got off the phone with Heartland. Our Cyclone 4007 is not on the recall list according to the VIN number. He explained that some of the units had the front landing legs installed straight up instead of on a slight angle. The units with the front jacks installed "straight up" are the issue. I know ours are on an angle, but I don't have any pictures at this time. Next time I go out to the camper I'll get some pictures and try to see what degree of angle they sit at. It would be interesting to compare the recalled units against the non-recalled units.

It'd be interested to see for sure. Im pretty sure that mine are still strait up without any angle to them even after the recall fix. Next time I get to the trailer i'll take a picture from ground level front and we can compare.

Matt750

Well I went out to the camper today, but my digital protractor went dead on me. I was able to lock it into position and then trace it out onto some paper. I used a regular protractor and came up with 4 degrees. I took the measurement from the landing gear mount (what the gear bolts to) and the top of the frame piece that goes to the other side. The landing gear does kick out, but not like I was thinking. It's kind of difficult to tell from the pictures, but there is some degree of angle.

Attachments

• IMG_6076.jpg
    IMG_6076.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6075.jpg
    IMG_6075.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 39

danemayer

Well I went out to the camper today, but my digital protractor went dead on me. I was able to lock it into position and then trace it out onto some paper. I used a regular protractor and came up with 4 degrees. I took the measurement from the landing gear mount (what the gear bolts to) and the top of the frame piece that goes to the other side. The landing gear does kick out, but not like I was thinking. It's kind of difficult to tell from the pictures, but there is some degree of angle.

Looks pretty normal.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Well I went out to the camper today, but my digital protractor went dead on me. I was able to lock it into position and then trace it out onto some paper. I used a regular protractor and came up with 4 degrees.
A few years ago I was told by Lippert that 4° is the optimum angle.

Peace
Dave

dpatrickr

I have had my RV dealer, Heartland and LCI working on completing this recall on my 2020 Bighorn Traveler since January. They can't seem to get the brace to fit, to long, to short, bolt holes mis aligned. A regular nightmare. LCI is sending a tech to look at it. Have you heard of anyone else who are going through this nightmare? Not real happy with La Mesa RV here in Tucson about this and other issues.