Heartland is recalling 2019-2021 Cyclone & 2020-2021 Bighorn Traveler trailers

Dmetcalf

A7E2D146-F75F-40A9-A9B0-756E4D8E21DD.jpg

I called and had to leave a voicemail with Heartland. I wasn’t sure if anyone else was aware if this.

Matt750

Re: Heartland is recalling 2019-2021 Cyclone & 2020-2012 Bighorn trailers

Thanks for the heads up. If I hear anything, I’ll post it in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akfoote

Wow.. thanks for the heads up.

We just ordered our Cyclone 4006. Hopefully those coming off the line now will have the recall addressed and a proper fix in place.

- Kevin

Dmetcalf

I had to leave a vm on a Tuesday with Heartland and I have not received any reply yet. I guess they must not be very concerned about it ..? I’ll try again on Friday.

danemayer

Keep in mind the announcement says there is not yet a schedule for repairs. Btw, it's pretty common for the announcement to precede schedule and notifications by some number of weeks. On our truck, I often read about a recall and it's 2-3 months before getting a notification.

wdk450

I would think about putting supporting jackstands next to the front landing gear legs, carrying the frame I- beams, until this gets fixed.

SNOKING

Note it says Bighorn Traveler travel trailers. 2020-2021 MY.

zolman

Just called Heartland Customer Support. As of 12PM 9/11/2020 they know nothing about this recall.

Last edited:

'Lil Guy'

Wondering how this slipped past their new quality control system. At least these rigs shouldn't have any leaks at the seals.

david-steph2018

Just sitting here and wondering, the Cyclone is built on the same line as the Road Warrior, with the same frame, landing gear, how does this not bleed over to the Road Warriors or other models? Even how about the other toy haulers built on the same line built with different frames?

danemayer

Just sitting here and wondering, the Cyclone is built on the same line as the Road Warrior, with the same frame, landing gear, how does this not bleed over to the Road Warriors or other models? Even how about the other toy haulers built on the same line built with different frames?

I'm not sure the frames are exactly the same between Cyclone and Road Warrior. AJ pointed out a Cyclone frame enhancement to me a couple of years ago. The arrow in the photo points to the additional framing at upper right (also left). While this is on the upper section of the frame, it's part of the frame assembly that comes in from Lippert. It's possible RW has the same, but it was described to me as a Cyclone enhancement. So I suspect the frames may be different.

Additional framing.jpg

david-steph2018

I'm not sure the frames are exactly the same between Cyclone and Road Warrior. AJ pointed out a Cyclone frame enhancement to me a couple of years ago. The arrow in the photo points to the additional framing at upper right (also left). While this is on the upper section of the frame, it's part of the frame assembly that comes in from Lippert. It's possible RW has the same, but it was described to me as a Cyclone enhancement. So I suspect the frames may be different.

View attachment 64682

Our RW has the same double frame in the pin box area. During the tour in 2019 we were told because of the weight of the units as compared to the other smaller, lighter toy haulers. I wonder were the area is that is giving problems.

Apachegw

This was just posted. Also I verified with my dealer and he was just made aware of this recall. Not sure what to do next. Maybe call Heartland and get on list.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCAK-20V521-8346.pdf

Makes/Models/Model Years: HEARTLAND/BIGHORN TRAVELER/2020-2021
HEARTLAND/CYCLONE/2019-2021

Mfr's Report Date: August 28, 2020
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V-521

Components: EQUIPMENT:RECREATIONAL VEHICLE/TRAILERSTRUCTURE
Potential Number of Units Affected: 1,168
Problem Description: Heartland Recreational Vehicles, LLC (Heartland) is recalling certain 2019-2021 Cyclone and 2020-2021 Bighorn Traveler recreational trailers. Due to insufficient bracing, the front landing legs may buckle and collapse while the trailer is parked.
Consequence: If the landing legs buckle, the trailer will drop unexpectedly, increasing the risk of property damage, personal injury or death.
Remedy: Heartland will notify owners, and dealers will install a jack bracket to reinforce the landing legs, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a recall schedule. Owners may contact Heartland customer service at 1-877-262-8032.

cashmore

I need to call Heartland about some other issues on my new Cyclone, I guess i'll be adding this to the list.

MCStreete

Would anyone have pictures of the landing gear brace? I was able to get ahold of Heartland, explained to them we were unable to take our Cyclone to the repair shop do to we are full time living. Surprisingly they told they work with any moble service to get this done. I wasn't able to get a moble service tech out do to not trusting the manufacturer.

danemayer

Would anyone have pictures of the landing gear brace? I was able to get ahold of Heartland, explained to them we were unable to take our Cyclone to the repair shop do to we are full time living. Surprisingly they told they work with any moble service to get this done. I wasn't able to get a moble service tech out do to not trusting the manufacturer.

If you're trying to say that the mobile service tech doesn't want to accept payment directly from Heartland, you should call Heartland back with a quote from the servicer and ask if Heartland will reimburse you for that amount.

cashmore

I just had mine done at the heartland factory along with some other warranty work. It’s incredibly easy to add the brace and shims. I can get some pictures in the next couple of days if you still would like them. I have to let the snow settle a little bit.

Matt750

I just had mine done at the heartland factory along with some other warranty work. It’s incredibly easy to add the brace and shims. I can get some pictures in the next couple of days if you still would like them. I have to let the snow settle a little bit.

Yes, I think we would all like to see pictures when convenient.