Roof Dilemma

Campfun

Recently purchased a used 2012 Heartland North Country TT. The unit had been setting for about 4 years. Working on catching up on the maintenance that had not been done for about 5 years. Need advice on the EPDM rubbber roof. I am am attemping to access what needs to be done on it. I have observed some cracks in the caulking around A/C, vents, skylight and at the point where the roof meets the front fiberglass. They are small in nature and I will seal with DICOR caulking. In attempting to clean the roof using CW Protect All roof cleaner I discovered a lot of grey rubber roofing material coming off. I have attempted to attach a picture that shows the before and after condition of the roof with the cleaned section being to the right of the skylight and the yet to be cleaned portion to the left. The cleaned section looks like a checkerboard of black and white color. The membrane on the roof is intact with no tears or holes. Not sure if i need a roof replacment but hoping not. How can it get the roof back in good condition with a restored white coating or do I need a new roof ?

danemayer

Hi campfun,

Congratulations on the new-to-you camper and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Many of us use Dawn dish washing detergent to clean the roof, rather than special RV solutions. In fact, I think over the past few years we've had a handful of similar posts about the surface of the roof material deteriorating after use of those solutions.

New roofing is quite expensive and can be very invasive. Before considering that, take a look at Dicor's recommendations, here.

Campfun

Thanks wdk450 and danemayer for the welcome and recommendations. I appreciate any assistance from you as I am new to owning a TT having previously camped in a tent camper. I used the Protect All cleaner because I was afraid the roof material would cause black streaks down the sides and this product I was told by CW person would prevent that. Anyway know I know what to use the next time. I completed the cleaning today and the entire roof lools like a white and gray checkerboard with mostly grey spots. I thought the bottom of a EPDM roof was black and the top white so I am not sure where the gray came from. Like i said earlier the the roof membrane looks OK with no tears or holes. I guees i will try one of the coatings you recommended and see how it holds up the next year. If it works it is much more cost effective than a roof replacement by a RV repair center.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
If you are indeed contemplating replacing the roof, consider FlexArmor, spray on roof. Actually cheaper and quicker install than a traditional roof. About $180 linear foot in the Dallas location, get a quote from the one nearest you. Lifetime guarantee.

https://rvroof.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

esscobra

on previous trailer and my bighoprn- 1x year i use the dicor cleanr and then dicor treatment - unt is outside and rubber is still soft and pliable - when had unit appraised for trade at 2 different dealers though unit was stored indoors because roof was in such good shape- after 8 years still soft and hard and dry and losing material-