Leaking Roof - RV Flex Armor Roof installed

carl.swoyer

So July 4th weekend we were at Port Hudson Marina.
Right on the gulf of Mexico.
7 pm a storm hits. Rain was coming in sideways. Our awning was tied down, but the wind storm was able to lift one side up and push the other side down. Needless to say we could not save the awning. Still waiting for the awning to arrive.
The next morning I found water in the laundry basket.
Submitted a claim, awning approved for but not the roof.
So I took it to RVROOF. COM
The corporate office did the work. Rvflex armor roofing is now installed.
According to the owner these Landmarks ac's mounting system are notorious for leaking.
Nothing visible as far as preventive maintenance inspections so nothing to see nothing to fix.
Very glad I bit the bullet and had them look at it.
Last time I walked the roof I didn't notice any punky wood.
They also said the Landmark roof has minimal trusses?

But I'm thinking I was lucky.
7a2c0f0a9e42d19b1f73d316bbd15d46.jpg
629972f23ff33f4657e52f09c8f5c812.jpg
20bafb0db7f2b164f5cb1fed97f4770a.jpg
6f17cb14ec938875859b343de94da24f.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
e594953bcdfb1373cb1abe9e37ee10df.jpg

13a06e6048b2cb0e89349637f1abb1eb.jpg

Last edited:

Flick

Re: Leaking ?

So July 4th weekend we were at Port Hudson Marina.
Right on the gulf of Mexico.
7 pm a storm hits. Rain was coming in sideways. Our awning was tied down, but the wind storm was able to lift one side up and push the other side down. Needless to say we could not save the awning. Still waiting for the awning to arrive.
The next morning I found water in the laundry basket.
Submitted a claim, awning approved for but not the roof.
So I took it to RVROOF. COM
The corporate office did the work. Rvflex armor roofing is now installed.
According to the owner these Landmarks ac's mounting system are notorious for leaking.
Nothing visible as far as preventive maintenance inspections so nothing to see nothing to fix.
Very glad I bit the bullet and had them look at it.
Last time I walked the roof I didn't notice any punky wood.
They also said the Landmark roof has minimal trusses?

But I'm thinking I was lucky.
7a2c0f0a9e42d19b1f73d316bbd15d46.jpg
629972f23ff33f4657e52f09c8f5c812.jpg
20bafb0db7f2b164f5cb1fed97f4770a.jpg
6f17cb14ec938875859b343de94da24f.jpg

Wow! That looks like a nice job. Is that similar to or the same type of roof job that Erica had done?
The ac leaking brings back memories. When I replaced my living room ac a few months ago, I had a bunch of rotten trusses that I had to rebuild. The roof ac gasket had been leaking and water got into the ceiling. Hmmm. I wonder how many have this problem and don’t know it. Oh well.

carl.swoyer

Wow! That looks like a nice job. Is that similar to or the same type of roof job that Erica had done?
The ac leaking brings back memories. When I replaced my living room ac a few months ago, I had a bunch of rotten trusses that I had to rebuild. The roof ac gasket had been leaking and water got into the ceiling. Hmmm. I wonder how many have this problem and don’t know it. Oh well.
According to the lady at rvflex armor ( corporate office) " those landmarks and the ducted ac's ... Are notorious for leaking"
Visibly very hard to see signs of water intrusion until it's too late

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Leaking ?

Yes this is the same product we had done. The company originated in Florida, there are licensed installers across the country. In our case, Mark Lamb at the Dallas Metroplex location was a customer first, and then became an installer — he was that impressed by the product.

Looks good, Carl!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

Yes this is the same product we had done. The company originated in Florida, there are licensed installers across the country. In our case, Mark Lamb at the Dallas Metroplex location was a customer first, and then became an installer — he was that impressed by the product.

Looks good, Carl!!

Thanks ,
I'll pick it up Tuesday, Monday they will color match the sides

TravelTiger

Thanks ,
I'll pick it up Tuesday, Monday they will color match the sides

That will look great! Post more pics when you get it back. I can tell you how much I love this roof, an not having to worry about it!

We had about 4.5” of rain in about a day and a half last week, and another 5-6” over 3 days this week. Lots of flooded streams and low-lying areas due to the rapid rainfall.

Benefits of a FlexArmor roof:
1. You can barely hear the rain now in the coach, and 2. Peace of mind, none of that is getting inside from the front or back cap, around anything ON the roof, or the edges of the roof at the gutter!

carl.swoyer

That will look great! Post more pics when you get it back. I can tell you how much I love this roof, an not having to worry about it!

We had about 4.5” of rain in about a day and a half last week, and another 5-6” over 3 days this week. Lots of flooded streams and low-lying areas due to the rapid rainfall.

Benefits of a FlexArmor roof:
1. You can barely hear the rain now in the coach, and 2. Peace of mind, none of that is getting inside from the front or back cap, around anything ON the roof, or the edges of the roof at the gutter!

Tigger,
That sounds great.

carl.swoyer

I added the Finnish picture with the color match on the sides. It looks like the original color. $7467.00! But worth it

carl.swoyer

Thanks
I thought the color match was worth the extra money and it looks original.

jbeletti

Carl - your new roof looks amazing.

With regard to fewer roof trusses in your Landmark - on units with laminated roofs and foam insulation, those roofs are engineered for strength as a unit and as such, don't have the same number of trusses of an attic-style roof of the past and now again today in Landmarks.

Curious as to what is under the RV Flex Armor near the ACs. Looks like they left patches of EPDM. If not, what is it and what is the function?

Thanks for sharing.

carl.swoyer

With regard to fewer roof trusses in your Landmark - on units with laminated roofs and foam insulation, those roofs are engineered for strength as a unit and as such, don't have the same number of trusses of an attic-style roof of the past and now again today in Landmarks.

Curious as to what is under the RV Flex Armor near the ACs. Looks like they left patches of EPDM. If not, what is it and what is the function?

Thanks for sharing.
Jim,
Those are plywood patches.
Without alot of trusses there's nothing to screw to.

carl.swoyer

Ah - makes sense. Looking really nice.
Jim,
While I was investigating the leak I removed the recessed shelf from the closest at which time I noticed the skimpy insolation. So I updated it. I also added the same to the left and right of the box and the top and bottom.
Last summer when I replaced the coraplasti I used the same insolation in the underside of the chassis.
I used fencing wire to cradle it so if water were an issue it won't get wet.
617a39b0bbdf5827c8770325d1481cc9.jpg
1d6c2b269dc97c4e1f23542584bc7af5.jpg
963a1dec82aae4a27c127c738d30c6ee.jpg

TravelTiger

Thanks for sharing.

Jim they do leave the original roof in place if it is secure and undamaged. They cut it around all of the penetrations (ladder mounts, vents, ac openings, corners, front and rear cap, over the radius curves, etc. to make sure the underlayment and transitions are in good shape at those places. They won’t apply the FlexArmor if the substrate is not in good condition. This is when they notify you if you need additional repairs. In our case we had no water damage.

519122a538781d1e74453e4f287a3782.jpg

jbeletti

Jim they do leave the original roof in place if it is secure and undamaged. They cut it around all of the penetrations (ladder mounts, vents, ac openings, corners, front and rear cap, over the radius curves, etc. to make sure the underlayment and transitions are in good shape at those places. They won’t apply the FlexArmor if the substrate is not in good condition. This is when they notify you if you need additional repairs. In our case we had no water damage.

Thanks Erika. I'd think for the best bond, they'd want to spray their material onto the wood substrate vs onto the EPDM or TPO membrane - but they know best and I've heard lots of good things about it.

TravelTiger

Thanks Erika. I'd think for the best bond, they'd want to spray their material onto the wood substrate vs onto the EPDM or TPO membrane - but they know best and I've heard lots of good things about it.

Actually, they don’t apply to the wood (or metal, for that matter) directly, they coat with some kind of primer before applying. The product is two chemicals combined as it’s sprayed. It was described to me as “spraying hot molasses.”

3deed4c869f29a0dac09ddd585d06cae.jpg

E

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
One question - what is the maintenance on the RVArmor roofing? With the manufacturer roofing, yearly maintenance is required. If it's the same with this RVArmor roofing, what's the point.

carl.swoyer

One question - what is the maintenance on the RVArmor roofing? With the manufacturer roofing, yearly maintenance is required. If it's the same with this RVArmor roofing, what's the point.
I will find an answer.

TravelTiger

There is very little maintenance at all. The things you currently have to inspect with a traditional roof are no longer factors. No dicor sealant, anywhere. No caulked edges where the roof meets the gutter. Front and back cap transitions are covered.

And there’s practically no chance a tree branch will drag and create a jagged rip in your roof along the radius curve... or 1” hail will leave your roof dimpled and introduce weakness for future leaks down the road.

Upon review, the Warranty states to “inspect seals and edges periodically.”

Care: “Wash with non-abrasive household cleaners. Mild bleach-water solutions are acceptable.”