Simple Green on roof?

aatauses

Hi Everyone,
I have a few stains on my roof---I washed with Dawn (as I usually do), however it would not touch the stains. I then tried a small area with Simple Green and it removed the stains with ease. The questions I have is simple green safe on most of my roof (area that has stains) ? I looked on the label and could not find any petroleum listed, so what are your thoughts?
thanks, al

Flick

Hi Everyone,
I have a few stains on my roof---I washed with Dawn (as I usually do), however it would not touch the stains. I then tried a small area with Simple Green and it removed the stains with ease. The questions I have is simple green safe on most of my roof (area that has stains) ? I looked on the label and could not find any petroleum listed, so what are your thoughts?
thanks, al

We have used Simple Green around our home for years and have used the product to clean just about anything but I’ve never used it on an RV roof. This is my opinion of course and I’m certainly not a chemist, but given the fact that roofs can be somewhat sensitive by nature, I probably wouldn’t do it. It probably would be ok but if it shows up with some damage in the future, the cleaner could be the culprit and it’ll be to late. Better to have a few stains than roof damage from some strong cleaning agent ingredient in the cleaner. Not to mention the streaking that could appear on your sides from roof runoff that wasn’t totally rinsed.

NYSUPstater

If small area, use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. However, they wear out very fast (come apart), so buy quite a few. Wet area and rinse often. You will end up with small pieces of the eraser on ground. I did whole roof on old 5er and have to admit it did come out clean and brighter, I did go thru God only knows how many erasers.

donr827

I have used Simple Green in the past with no problems. If you use it be sure to rinse the sides of the trailer also as you rinse the roof. Simple green can remove the wax if you leave it too long on the sides.

aatauses

Thanks for all the response---I did contact the tech support to find out if the product had any petroleum. This is what I heard from Jason Park, tech coordinator: If you are using simple Green All Purpose---it is safe on rubber roofs as it does not contain any petroleum. He recommend a solution of 1/32 or tough stains of 1/10. He also did state to use a lot of water to wash the sides as the solution may leave streaks. Hope this helps.
al