FYI - effects of Ethanol Fuel on small tools

BWStark

Most of you probably know this but some may not. I had been having problems with gas powered tools lawn mower, etc.. to to a repair shop and ended up having to have carbs replaced on lawn mower and chainsaw. Culprit was ethanol fuel. I am able to buy non ethanol fuel $2.50 per gallon (yes) and have started using it in all my gas power tools as well as the wife’s car. All my tools run better and will now start after sitting up one first or second pull. My wife’s car gets better fuel mileage now. If you are running a gas generator on your rv and can find non ethanol fuel try it and see if it helps some of the fuel issues. Thanks for listening.

Flick

Re: Info only

Most of you probably know this but some may not. I had been having problems with gas powered tools lawn mower, etc.. to to a repair shop and ended up having to have carbs replaced on lawn mower and chainsaw. Culprit was ethanol fuel. I am able to buy non ethanol fuel $2.50 per gallon (yes) and have started using it in all my gas power tools as well as the wife’s car. All my tools run better and will now start after sitting up one first or second pull. My wife’s car gets better fuel mileage now. If you are running a gas generator on your rv and can find non ethanol fuel try it and see if it helps some of the fuel issues. Thanks for listening.

Yep. Going to get my cans filled today at Robert’s service station. Their price $1.98. The ethanol simply doesn’t co-exist well with traditional rubber products and after a couple years the components start to break down. Thankfully, most of our small towns still have that one place where we can get ethanol free fuel like the one there on Briarcrest.

NYSUPstater

If unable to get non Ethanl, use Star-Tron every time. I use it in my snowmobiles religiously and have so for past few years and no problems. If you cannot get Star-Tron, then K100 or BLUE Sta-Bil fuel additive. I love farmers and will help them anyway I can, but this Ethanal is for the birds.

Anything that sits (gas) for long period of time, Ethanal gums up things like crazy. Have a Stihl weed whacker and few years ago ran like crud. Dealer told me it wasn't worth it trying to clean carb and all ($90.00/hr) and cheaper just to replace carb (at that time was 60 bucks/carb). So finally a couple years ago, I got around to changing the carb and runs very good now. For some reason tho, doesn't run wide open well. Kinda bogs, vibrates and shakes. So I run it about 1/2 way and works ok for what I need. Any suggestions BTW as to what's up w/ WOT?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Another place to look for non-Alcohol gas are Lawn Equipment shops. Tractor Supply may also have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDN

B and B

I just use Premium in Canada. Runs great and my Powerhouse Generator also runs on it just fine.

wdk450

This thread could use a title more connected to the problem addressed, so that forum readers won't skim over this important topic.

I know of specific ethanol blend gas in California, but I don't know if it is a hidden component of our regular gas (I am normally only buying diesel, but I did recently buy some regular for my generator). Thanks for alerting me and others, and I will check this out.

On Edit: The answer is 10% in California, and most of the rest of the US by Federal Mandate.

carl.swoyer

I started using non ethanol in my lawn tractor several months ago and it has made a big difference. Fires right up , runs smoother , and no more back fire when turning it off.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

wdk450

I found non-ethanol gas listed online at Home Depot and Tractor Supply - but it was $20 a gallon. The Star-Tron enzyme based additive treats 48 gallons for around $6 (Amazon price before shipping).