Roof Questions

This is on a 2016 Bighorn 3270RS purchased new in August 2015 kept outside 24/7 until January of this year. Roof was cleaned using Dawn about once per year. Last week I decided to perform a good cleaning since I can not store the unit inside. I cleaned using Dicor Rubber Roof Cleaner last Wednesday. When I went up yesterday to touch up the sealant in areas I noticed the top surface of the roof was tacky/sticky on my hands and knees. I also identified several areas where the top surface of the roof was distorted but appeared intact otherwise. See pictures attached. There are probably a dozen or more of these areas. Some of these areas are where my knees twisted as I was scrubbing the roof with a medium brush and some are where the sprayer was located when I pumped up the pressure. I was planning to apply the Dicor Roof Protectant after the sealant cures. My questions are as follows:

1.) Are these areas where the top surface is distorted of a concern?
2.) Do I need to apply a patch to the areas where the top surface is distorted?
3.) Is there any concern with the tacky/sticky nature of the surface?

Attachments

• RV Roof 091420A.jpg
    RV Roof 091420A.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 135
  • RV Roof 091420B.jpg
    RV Roof 091420B.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 118
  • RV Roof 091420C.jpg
    RV Roof 091420C.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 109
  • RV Roof 091420D.jpg
    RV Roof 091420D.jpg
    759.2 KB · Views: 103
  • RV Roof 091420E.jpg
    RV Roof 091420E.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 100

Flick

This is on a 2016 Bighorn 3270RS purchased new in August 2015 kept outside 24/7 until January of this year. Roof was cleaned using Dawn about once per year. Last week I decided to perform a good cleaning since I can not store the unit inside. I cleaned using Dicor Rubber Roof Cleaner last Wednesday. When I went up yesterday to touch up the sealant in areas I noticed the top surface of the roof was tacky/sticky on my hands and knees. I also identified several areas where the top surface of the roof was distorted but appeared intact otherwise. See pictures attached. There are probably a dozen or more of these areas. Some of these areas are where my knees twisted as I was scrubbing the roof with a medium brush and some are where the sprayer was located when I pumped up the pressure. I was planning to apply the Dicor Roof Protectant after the sealant cures. My questions are as follows:

1.) Are these areas where the top surface is distorted of a concern?
2.) Do I need to apply a patch to the areas where the top surface is distorted?
3.) Is there any concern with the tacky/sticky nature of the surface?

Hopefully someone will give you hands on info on a similar situation they’ve had.
I think your roof has served you well and probably will continue to do so. I’m wondering if the few problem areas could perhaps be covered with Eternabond tape which comes in widths up to 8” wide.
But I would let it sit and mellow out before doing anything. Some of it may correct on it’s own.

carl.swoyer

When I had my roof done with rvflex armor she told me that there is a bad batch
of dicor roofing and dicor is very aware. There's no recall but you should be able to make a claim with the mfg.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

lynndiwagoner

Yes, there was a bad run of this roofing material. I have the same problem and was advised by dicor that this does not affect the waterproofness of the roof or the warranty. The black material under the coating is the actual roofing material and the top coating is what is getting sticky. They will offer you two options, either a 1,000.00 dollar settlement or they will send you out enough material to recover the roof, minus the labor. The labor is pretty high so considering all of the factors I took the 1,000.00. The original warranty is still in effect on the roof. I try to stay off of the roof as much as possible now. Dicor was very nice about it.....your decision. Good luck.

Sluger17

I just noticed the same thing on my 2017 Elkridge today when I went on the roof to install fridge vent fans. Its been outside 24/7 as well since we bought as well and washed once or twice a year. Did you contact Heartland for the roof material or $1,000. Or did you contact the dealer you bought it from?

lynndiwagoner

I just noticed the same thing on my 2017 Elkridge today when I went on the roof to install fridge vent fans. Its been outside 24/7 as well since we bought as well and washed once or twice a year. Did you contact Heartland for the roof material or $1,000. Or did you contact the dealer you bought it from?

Neither....call Dicor directly.

rcapx

I have a 2016 Bighorn 3875FB with the same roof problems. I understand that Dicor will still warranty the roof but how am I supposed to clean the roof now that it is starting to have these sticky areas? Is there anything to keep other areas from having the same problem?

I really don't have anything to offer concerning cleaning the roof. Everything was starting to stick to mine like leaves and pine needles and even little sticks. Ability to clean and impact on potential resale value is reason I chose to take the offer of replacement material and install kit to replace my roof.

SamSmiley

I have the same problem with mine. Dicor told me that the roof would not leak. I took the replacement material. I have it in storage just in case of a leaking problem
Sam Smiley
2010 Bighorn 3670RL
2011 F250

I have a 2014 Elkridge EPDM roof with the exact same Dicor problem. I am only 150 pounds but do leave permanent footprints and knees have scuffed the top layer to expose the black membrane. I am afraid I am going to slide off the forward sloping section near the front cap.

Rather than replace the roof, which was done 4 years ago because of the defective material issue, I'd like to recoat with something like silicone based Eterna Kote, but but sure it will work on the "mushy" base. Dicor makes a coating, but not sure if you can just do part of the roof.

Thoughts or experiences from the forum before I call Dicor? Thanks

carl.swoyer

I have a 2014 Elkridge EPDM roof with the exact same Dicor problem. I am only 150 pounds but do leave permanent footprints and knees have scuffed the top layer to expose the black membrane. I am afraid I am going to slide off the forward sloping section near the front cap.

Rather than replace the roof, which was done 4 years ago because of the defective material issue, I'd like to recoat with something like silicone based Eterna Kote, but but sure it will work on the "mushy" base. Dicor makes a coating, but not sure if you can just do part of the roof.

Thoughts or experiences from the forum before I call Dicor? Thanks
Re coat over a defective material?
I forsee a bonding issue. I would suggest that you consider a permanent solution such as RV FLEX ARMOR ,HOME OFFICE IN GREEN COVE SPRINGS FLORIDA. It is a lifetime warranty against the Vin AND TRANSFERABLE. I have it on my roof. It's a sprayed on application and extremely tough. Do not confuse it with RV ARMOR as it's a rolled on application. 4968.jpg[

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 30033_Manual.pdf
    148 KB · Views: 11
  • 4969.jpg
    4969.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 47

tomhank

You'll need to take good care of your RV roof coating if you want it to last as long as the manufacturer says it will. If you have a silicone roof coating, for example, it is best to clean it every week or two to prevent dirt and dust buildup.
You can also keep the covering in good shape by avoiding as much sun exposure as possible. If you don't have enough space in your garage for your RV, consider purchasing an RV cover that can resist winter and intense summer heat.

lynndiwagoner

I try to stay off of the gummy roof. If necessary I use boards. Hasn't leaked a spot anywhere, it's just the colored coating getting gummy.

SmittN

Is the roof made of aluminum? If yes, you can talk to a company specializing in the area. I mean someone who works with gutter installation, soffit, and fascia. They might know much more about how to work with metal roofs.
Another variant might be to go to an auto repair shop and seek help there. It might be serious because even a small hole in the roof may cause the caravan's interior. Anyways, it’s better to consult a professional to avoid any serious consequences.

Last edited:

oldelmer1

Well, now it's my turn to have issues with my roof, it's not really gummy, but looks like cracks everywhere. Dicor gave me the same choice $1000. or replacement TPO cause they can't get the EPDM material for a year and a halh.Sounds odd??

Anyhow you all that had the armor flex spray on roof put on, are u still happy with it.

carl.swoyer

I had my Landmark roof resurfaced with rv flex armor.
Best money I ever spent. It's been 2 years and I no longer have the agonizing reseal.
Just do it. It's cheaper than the traditional reroof

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re coat over a defective material?
I forsee a bonding issue. I would suggest that you consider a permanent solution such as RV FLEX ARMOR ,HOME OFFICE IN GREEN COVE SPRINGS FLORIDA. It is a lifetime warranty against the Vin AND TRANSFERABLE. I have it on my roof. It's a sprayed on application and extremely tough. Do not confuse it with RV ARMOR as it's a rolled on application. View attachment 66640[

FlexArmor has installation facilities across the country, ours was done in Denton, Tx. Our roof had hail damage, but was also showing signs of becoming gummy. Other 2016 Big Country owners have had their roofs deemed defective by Dicor. They have received replacement material, but they will have to foot the install bill themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Well, now it's my turn to have issues with my roof, it's not really gummy, but looks like cracks everywhere. Dicor gave me the same choice $1000. or replacement TPO cause they can't get the EPDM material for a year and a halh.Sounds odd??

Anyhow you all that had the armor flex spray on roof put on, are u still happy with it.

RV FlexArmor roof done in June of 2020, love it!! I was just up there checking it and the roof is a little dirty, but no signs of issues anywhere. Best part is the peace of mind, we will not have leak problems or hail damage to the roof ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk