Nails!!

Routemaster

I am up on the roof with the solar and all the way down the roof both sides the nails holding the radius metal under EDPM are popping up. What is the fix?
What's is next?
Den.

carl.swoyer

I am up on the roof with the solar and all the way down the roof both sides the nails holding the radius metal under EDPM are popping up. What is the fix?
What's is next?
Den.
I would call heartland Monday morning have the last 6 of your VIN number. Describe your issue to them.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Routemaster

I would call heartland Monday morning have the last 6 of your VIN number. Describe your issue to them.

Hey Carl. Thanks. I am not the original owner will that make any difference? I guess it is good for them to know. I will have to take some pictures.
Den.

carl.swoyer

Hey Carl. Thanks. I am not the original owner will that make any difference? I guess it is good for them to know. I will have to take some pictures.
Den.
Heartland is a really great company. Describe what's going on. Also have the last 6 of your VIN number

Routemaster

Hi Jim.
It looks like a forest up there to me I guess if I had to fix it myself. I am thinking pull the nails out then replace with screws. Then use as you say Eternabond tape to cover the the screws. don't want repeat of this.
Lets see what Heartland says Monday.
But what Do I know?
Den.

carl.swoyer

I wondering if you could remove the strip that the rain gutters are installed to. Then cut back the EPDM material to expose the cove and the nails/ screws. Replace the ones that are problematic. Then re secure the roofing material, reinstall the strip and use the tape Jim spoke of.
Hopefully this makes sense.

mlpeloquin

If you remove the rain gutter, the end/edge of the EDPM roofing should be exposed. Just pull up gently. You should be able to add some adhesive on the shank and push/tap them back in. Use five minuet epoxy. It sets fast, once cured it adheres well to metal and wood, and will not bother the EDPM roofing. Then get some EDPM roof adhesive to glue the EDPM membrane back down. Also get a "J" roller to use when gluing the membrane back down. If you can lift the membrane high and back enough, then a good stainless steel wood screw would be preferable. Make sure the screw is not longer then the nail.

rhodies1

You will most likely find that these nails are actually staples which are holding the metal curve...Once the track is removed the rubber membrane can be lifted pretty easily...been there....If you decide to drive them back in,,,,use a hammer and punch versus just a hammer.The hammer will bend the metal, it’s very thin.You can pull them out and screw the metal down,,,I went this method and no more issues.Also when I had it apart I re taped the seams with gorilla tape versus the cheap tuck tape that was used from the factory.
Much better finish once rubber skin was put back.If you need to do both sides front to rear you have a huge amount of work. Good luck.

jbeletti

Den - don't use screws as often times, the space under that metal radius is a wiring chase for wires to items on your roof or in the ceiling (air cons, TV antenna, speakers, ceiling lights, ceiling fan, exhaust fan etc.). One misplaced fastener could cause some trouble.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I’ve had those nails visible for 3 plus years on a 4 year old rig. Until one of them compromises the membrane they’ll be left alone.
If and when one does break through I’ll pull it out, make a small slit, inject a bit of caulk, then cover with eternalbond

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm with Lyle, I've had them sticking up for ten years now. No problems yet.

Peace
Dave