Dometic Compressor RV Refrigerators?

Phestinan

Hi all. I am hoping someone can tell me about their experience with converting to a Dometic refrigerator with compressor, the 8 cu ft DMC2841RB or the 6 cu ft DMC2641RB. These are described as operating on 110 volt AC or 12 volt DC, switching automatically as needed. This is a lot different than the 'household' refrigerators I have read about and described in this forum, since these Dometics are designed for RV's to replace an RV refrigerator with little or no space modification, and no special electrical needs beyond what was already available for the old 2-way or 3-way RV refrigerator that it is replacing. How did it fit? How well does it work? Is it powerful on 12v and 110v like you would expect a compressor refrigerator to be, not 'weak' like an absorption refrigerator? Does the cold air circulate well inside? Does it operate on a thermostat like your home refrig? Am I correct in my understanding of how they operate? I have read numerous accounts in which users have hunted and found a small apartment sized refrigerator that they either can fit or modify to fit, researched and found a suitable power converter, and vented and anchored the appliance and so on. I am not looking for more info on reverse engineering household units unless they fit perfectly, work perfectly, without modification, and don't forget the converter and refrigerator model numbers (but thanks anyway). Can I freezing containers on it after this? I found information about this on the https://storageboxreviews.com/ but maybe something will change?
PS: I also cannot find any ratings or reviews by users for these Dometic units. None of the merchants who sell it have any user reports whatsoever.

Last edited:

danemayer

Hi Phestinan,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. If I understand your question, you currently have a gas absorption refrigerator and want to replace it with a 12V DC compressor type. I don't think I've seen where anyone has done so, but perhaps someone will chime in.

I think Heartland is using a 12V DC compressor refrigerator on some travel trailer models now. As to performance, perhaps you'll hear from an owner who has one of them.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
You might try looking at refrigerators made for boats. We had one as far back as 1996. It was only 4 cubic feet, but there were 8 CF models on larger boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have a friend that did that conversion.
I'll check with him to see how it's doing and report back here later today.

Peace
Dave

Mikemm62

Mike & Suzanne
Hi all. I am hoping someone can tell me about their experience with converting to a Dometic refrigerator with compressor, the 8 cu ft DMC2841RB or the 6 cu ft DMC2641RB. These are described as operating on 110 volt AC or 12 volt DC, switching automatically as needed. This is a lot different than the 'household' refrigerators I have read about and described in this forum, since these Dometics are designed for RV's to replace an RV refrigerator with little or no space modification, and no special electrical needs beyond what was already available for the old 2-way or 3-way RV refrigerator that it is replacing. How did it fit? How well does it work? Is it powerful on 12v and 110v like you would expect a compressor refrigerator to be, not 'weak' like an absorption refrigerator? Does the cold air circulate well inside? Does it operate on a thermostat like your home refrig? Am I correct in my understanding of how they operate? I have read numerous accounts in which users have hunted and found a small apartment sized refrigerator that they either can fit or modify to fit, researched and found a suitable power converter, and vented and anchored the appliance and so on. I am not looking for more info on reverse engineering household units unless they fit perfectly, work perfectly, without modification, and don't forget the converter and refrigerator model numbers (but thanks anyway).
PS: I also cannot find any ratings or reviews by users for these Dometic units. None of the merchants who sell it have any user reports whatsoever.

well let’s see I will try to answer most of your questions 🙂
Dutch Aire in Shipshewana is where we had ours done after one failed attempt to replace it with a Norcold part..
we have had numerous issues that turns out to be the refrigerator box itself,,, the company has stood behind the product without question and at no charge whatsoever,, keep in mind that a “ conversation “ is still an absorption refrigerator the only difference is your using a positive mechanical supply to the cooling plates,, which is a huge difference.
Depending on your camping style and power availability as to what style you need. The 120v only draws 1-2amps while operating, it still uses the same electronics that controll your current refrigerator..
As I stated before our refrigerator box is past its life cycle ... I would welcome you to call and discuss it on the phone as it would be easier to explain ... on finger typing is a slow process.

Mike
269-830-6317

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There ya go. Mike is a refrigeration guy so I would trust what he has to say.
One thing he didn't mention is that he told me the freezer rocks at -3 but the refrigerator box won't settle down.

Peace
Dave