Blackstone Griddle Question - re-seasoning

Georgia_Biker

I have just purchased my third Blackstone Griddle (tail gater) and am falling in love with it.

I have a 36” unit that has been sitting idle for about a year so I figured I needed to “re-season” it.

The first thing I did was scrub it with a scrubber and water to clean it and wiped it down with a light coat of Canola oil.

Then I cranked up the heat to start the first round of seasoning and several areas started bubbling up. I shut the heat off and scrubbed these areas clean with a metal scrap and started all over again.

After a couple of rounds it seemed there is a area of bare metal that is not taking the oil. Can my heat be too high? It’s around 750 degrees according to my infrared sensor.

Stumped-

Thanks for any help.

IMG_3949.jpgIMG_3947.jpgIMG_3948.jpg

Flick

I have just purchased my third Blackstone Griddle (tail gater) and am falling in love with it.

I have a 36” unit that has been sitting idle for about a year so I figured I needed to “re-season” it.

The first thing I did was scrub it with a scrubber and water to clean it and wiped it down with a light coat of Canola oil.

Then I cranked up the heat to start the first round of seasoning and several areas started bubbling up. I shut the heat off and scrubbed these areas clean with a metal scrap and started all over again.

After a couple of rounds it seemed there is a area of bare metal that is not taking the oil. Can my heat be too high? It’s around 750 degrees according to my infrared sensor.

Stumped-

Thanks for any help.

View attachment 64697View attachment 64698View attachment 64699

Man, I love that Blackstone. On ours, here’s what I did. Use any kind of cooking oil. Wipe it down with the oil. Turn your heat to about medium and burn the original sealer the factory puts on it completely off. Sounds like you’ve done that already. Medium heat. I actually let the burners burn for about 10 minutes and then let it cool. Oil it down again and reheat. Do this 3 times or so. The last time during this seasoning, let it heat until it quits smoking. Using a good spatula, scrape off any accumulated burn around the edge. Wipe down with vegetable oil and clean with several wipings off the oil. NEVER use any of water or soap. Store with a good film of oil. Shove a paper towel in the grease drainage hole so the storage oil doesn’t run out the back. Cut a piece of cardboard to put on the top of the grill to hold the oil.
Note: if you have a spot that appears to not be holding oil, it will eventually. Be patient and every time you use it, it will eventually totally blacken and will season. Again, no water or soap. Clean with oil. Reheat with oil.

Georgia_Biker

Man, I love that Blackstone. On ours, here’s what I did. Use any kind of cooking oil. Wipe it down with the oil. Turn your heat to about medium and burn the original sealer the factory puts on it completely off. Sounds like you’ve done that already. Medium heat. I actually let the burners burn for about 10 minutes and then let it cool. Oil it down again and reheat. Do this 3 times or so. The last time during this seasoning, let it heat until it quits smoking. Using a good spatula, scrape off any accumulated burn around the edge. Wipe down with vegetable oil and clean with several wipings off the oil. NEVER use any of water or soap. Store with a good film of oil. Shove a paper towel in the grease drainage hole so the storage oil doesn’t run out the back. Cut a piece of cardboard to put on the top of the grill to hold the oil.
Note: if you have a spot that appears to not be holding oil, it will eventually. Be patient and every time you use it, it will eventually totally blacken and will season. Again, no water or soap. Clean with oil. Reheat with oil.

Thanks Edie-

I found a really good video on YouTube put out by Blackstone and it really helped - pretty close to what you were talking about - these Blackstones are awesome.

Take care

Stumped-

Thanks for any help check these are blackstne grills.

View attachment 64697View attachment 64698View attachment 64699
Got some Aidells andouille sausage awhile back, wife got it out of the freezer and she figured grill them. I had gotten them to jambalaya, so went that way. Using my Blackstone was great. Sautéed the chicken and sausage on one side, the celery, pepper, onion, garlic on other side. Then tossed all in a pot with large can of tomatoes, chopped up tomatoes, and turned down the heat in the grill and cooked in the pot outside. Tossed in the rice and chicken broth and some peppered bacon pieces I had. Forgot the scrimp. Other than using way too much cayenne along with the Slap Yo Mama Cajun seasoning and hot sauce, was very good. Made enough for 4 nights meals, so couple meals in the freezer. Love the grill. Easy cleanup as no grease flying on the house stove.

centerline

I have built several flat top grills, using thicker steel, and for seasoning them (or any other type of cookware), one only has to heat the surface until it burns off all the contaminates, scrub and clean it well while its hot to remove and carbon/ash, and then let it cool a little to where the oil you use for seasoning will smoke just a little when you apply it to the surface..... if its too hot, the oil will just flash off in smoke, but you want the oil to run across the surface and not all go up in smoke.... then KEEP IT WET and flooded with oil as it cools down, so the steel can absorb as much as possible when its gets to the perfect the temperature range...

it may look like bare steel, but it will still be fully seasoned....

when the surface gets down near ambient temperature, then you can clean it up and be ready for cooking....

when using it, dont put food on it til its up to temp, and when you are getting it up to temp, make sure it is wet with oil... and after cooking on it, make sure it has oil on it as it cools down, and you will never have an issue with it....

one thing some people dont realize when cooking on a bare metal surface, vs a NON stick surface, is that the food should remain undisturbed until it browns well on the bottom, which will easily release from the surface... but if one flops a raw steak down on a hot grill and tries to move it before it browns, it can still stick to the seasoned surface a little.... potatoes/hashbrowns are about the worst for this, but if left to brown, they will easily lift from the surface with no sticking at all...