Did I max out my hitch?

Lost_my_beer

Recently traded my Keystone 5er (13k loaded) for my new Cyclone, which was just weighed at 20.5k. Loaded as we normally camp including a golf cart and my Hayabusa in the garage... 50 gals of gas, but no liquids except for about 30 gals of potable water. Honestly, this should be close to the max we should ever get to.
I currently have been using a Demco 21k hitch, which I love. Looks like I have just 500 lbs to spare to be at the Demco’s max. If I had full waste and potable tanks, I would be just over that 21k! I do notice that the hitch creaks a good bit with this trailer. Never heard that before. Lubed it up and its better, but still creaking.
Should these hitches creak ever? Is this safe? What buffer, if any, do the mfgs use? Hate to waste money on a new larger hitch if I am safe, but dont mind spending money if I have put myself in an unsafe position. Am I making sense?!
If I must upgrade, pretty sure I will move to an air ride hitch. I was toying with buying an air pin box anyway. Whats the recommended brands/models that wont break the bank? I do realize that they aint cheap.
Thanks in advance.
Troy

Eric1234

Good morning

a couple of thoughts come to my mind:

1. Your hitch is rated at 21k but what is your loaded trailer pin weight and what is your hitch rated at?

2. If it were me, run the hitch you have. You are within the design specs.

3. I am probably going to get a new hitch as well in the future and I am interested in the gen Y gooseneck hitch with auto latch.

hope this helps.

Eric

Lost_my_beer

I would have to go check the report, but I believe it was right at 3500. If I recall correctly, the hitch vert weight was 5k.
The creaking has me worried I guess.
Troy

Flick

Recently traded my Keystone 5er (13k loaded) for my new Cyclone, which was just weighed at 20.5k. Loaded as we normally camp including a golf cart and my Hayabusa in the garage... 50 gals of gas, but no liquids except for about 30 gals of potable water. Honestly, this should be close to the max we should ever get to.
I currently have been using a Demco 21k hitch, which I love. Looks like I have just 500 lbs to spare to be at the Demco’s max. If I had full waste and potable tanks, I would be just over that 21k! I do notice that the hitch creaks a good bit with this trailer. Never heard that before. Lubed it up and its better, but still creaking.
Should these hitches creak ever? Is this safe? What buffer, if any, do the mfgs use? Hate to waste money on a new larger hitch if I am safe, but dont mind spending money if I have put myself in an unsafe position. Am I making sense?!
If I must upgrade, pretty sure I will move to an air ride hitch. I was toying with buying an air pin box anyway. Whats the recommended brands/models that wont break the bank? I do realize that they aint cheap.
Thanks in advance.
Troy

I do think you are ok. If you get any more trailer weight, you’ll also be over on axle capacity and then there’s the truck payload max to be concerned about. So, generally speaking, I wouldn’t worry any more about the hitch since you are within the specs. I would look further into the noises coming from the hitch (if it is actually coming from the hitch) and totally grease or wd40 every moving part on it. I understand you said you did this. Lot of weight hanging on it to have a dry area that is supposed to move freely.
My opinion is that the weight tolerance specs are there to give you the max that you should carry, but certainly should allow for overages within reason.

RickL

In my opinion until you actually weigh the truck and truck and trailer to get the weights everything is just guesses. Second your hitch may be rated for 21K, but what is the rating of the pin weight?

Again, my opinion, I want a “fudge factor” that is why I am running a B&W 25K hitch. Probably one of the top 5th wheel hitches out in the market. Bottom line is knowing your actual weights.

Lost_my_beer

Could always call hitch mfr and ask them.

They haven’t returned my calls.
Troy

- - - Updated - - -

In my opinion until you actually weigh the truck and truck and trailer to get the weights everything is just guesses. Second your hitch may be rated for 21K, but what is the rating of the pin weight?

Again, my opinion, I want a “fudge factor” that is why I am running a B&W 25K hitch. Probably one of the top 5th wheel hitches out in the market. Bottom line is knowing your actual weights.

No guesses here... actual weights as stated.
I am currently 500 lbs under max tow weight and about 1500 lbs under max pin weight.

Just wondering how close is safe. When I bought this hitch I thought it was way overkill for the 13k trailer I bought, but loved the weight and options it has. Now I am thinking of an air ride hitch. Any recommendations?
Troy

btw, the truck has a 34k max. It is no lightweight. An F350 specd to a 450 minus the steering box.

jmarnell

We've been using the Andersen Ultimate hitch with our Cyclone, and love it. It's rated to 24,000 pounds so plenty of capacity. It's also very easy to hook up, and the lighter weight of the hitch itself makes it a breeze to take in and out of the truck bed.

Lost_my_beer

I wondered about the Anderson. Love how easy it is to remove. Isn't it kind of a pain to line up the ball tho? Wonder if I can pair that to an air ride pin box?
Troy

jmarnell

I wondered about the Anderson. Love how easy it is to remove. Isn't it kind of a pain to line up the ball tho? Wonder if I can pair that to an air ride pin box?
Troy

I find the Andersen easier to line up than our old traditional style hitch. You get it reasonably close, and the cup part of the Andersen slides right down over the hitch ball. We have a Trail Air air ride pin box on our Cyclone, and the two work very well together.

Lost_my_beer

Whelp. Bit the bullet and just ordered a TrailSaver BD5F. After our last venture up 95/26 in SC last week, even the wife thought an air ride is worth a shot...even for the money.
Will let everyone know if its worth the extra dough. Figured an upgraded 25+K hitch was gonna run around $1200. Add an air pin box for another 12... helps to justify. In my lil head anyway!
Troy

ILH

Whelp. Bit the bullet and just ordered a TrailSaver BD5F. After our last venture up 95/26 in SC last week, even the wife thought an air ride is worth a shot...even for the money.
Will let everyone know if its worth the extra dough. Figured an upgraded 25+K hitch was gonna run around $1200. Add an air pin box for another 12... helps to justify. In my lil head anyway!
Troy

I think you'll enjoy the Trailsaver. I previously had a Road Warrior (the small one - twin axle) and had the BD3 TrailSaver (the little brother to yours). When it was dialed in properly, it was very smooth. You'll have to play with the proper air inflation to suit your load - and it varies depending on what you're hauling and road conditions.