Norcold 2118 Frost Build Up

Short-Bed-Dually

I have a 2017 Bighorn 3575EL with a Norcold 2118SST that is building up frost on the back freezer wall. I have turned it off for several days two times to defrost it, but the frost is back in two days. At this time the doors are only opened to check it once a day. I removed the Made in America label, shimmed the left door, tested the seals with a dollar bill. Maybe I should have used a one hundred dollar bill! I also added 5/16 weather stripping under the door gaskets. The drain hose is clear with the plug installed. I do see moisture on the top of the lower doors center flap. Any ideas?

danemayer

Warm air can infiltrate by way of the drain hose that terminates outside at the lower wall vent. Dometic units have a drip end cap on the hose that restricts air intrusion. I'd assume something similar for Norcold.

Also make sure the flap between the doors is actually closing.

RoadJunkie

Expediency while accessing the refrigerator is your best defense against frost buildup. Sometimes the seal is, well, not a seal and moisture enters. We found that an ice machine outside the freezer helps to lower door openings. Bottom line...it's normal to have the frost buildup and your freezer will have to be defrosted every few weeks.

Short-Bed-Dually

The drain hose is clear and the plug is in place.
We are home so the refrigerator is not being open and closed at this time. I defrosted it again and in two days it is getting a frost build up.
It does not have an ice maker.

SNOKING

Is the door flap catching on the lower floor of the frig compartment? Open both doors and Close the left one and assure the flap swings into place. Twice I have had to space up the left door. You pull on the cover piece between the freezer and frig door and remove that up hinge. Then lift the door off the lower pin and place a washer or two on the pin and put in back together. We lived full time in our 3575el for almost two years and now spend 4.5-5 months in the summer living in it. And have to defrost the freeze about every three months. Trailer no longer goes on the road, so it will get a residential frig one of these days, that will keep ice cream. As the NeverCold does not. Chris

Attachments

• IMG_20200721_184458.jpg
    IMG_20200721_184458.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 10

carl.swoyer

Just made a post about it. Lol
b2c3ab49fe546fff7a310a9298e9ad57.jpg
104d3326168620c054de60981b691d79.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Piperflyer

It might not be the door seals. I have had frost build up inside my freezer because the air vents inside the freezer have become blocked. The freezer contents have blocked the vents at times and without air circulation, frost developed. Frost has been so bad, eventually the vents became blocked with frost. Make sure the vents are not blocked and see what happens!

carl.swoyer

It might not be the door seals. I have had frost build up inside my freezer because the air vents inside the freezer have become blocked. The freezer contents have blocked the vents at times and without air circulation, frost developed. Frost has been so bad, eventually the vents became blocked with frost. Make sure the vents are not blocked and see what happens!
What do the vents in the freezer look like?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk