Tank vent covers

ORV1980

Sherman
We occasionally get black tank smells in the 1/2 bath. After 2 1/2 years of hearing the DW complain that my toilet stinks i have decided that the vent is not working as well as it should. I want to replace the vent cover on the roof with something that draws the stinky out better.
I am looking at the Lippert 360 roof vent. It looks good in theory, has anyone installed one?
I appreciate the feedback.
Sherman

Flick

We occasionally get black tank smells in the 1/2 bath. After 2 1/2 years of hearing the DW complain that my toilet stinks i have decided that the vent is not working as well as it should. I want to replace the vent cover on the roof with something that draws the stinky out better.
I am looking at the Lippert 360 roof vent. It looks good in theory, has anyone installed one?
Sherman

Since your smell is coming from inside your 1/2 bath, I doubt if your problem is on the roof. You can certainly install a better functioning roof vent, but the smell may continue. You may want to check your toilet flange, sink trap or if the sink is not vented thru your roof vent, your studor valve.

ORV1980

Sherman
Since your smell is coming from inside your 1/2 bath, I doubt if your problem is on the roof. You can certainly install a better functioning roof vent, but the smell may continue. You may want to check your toilet flange, sink trap or if the sink is not vented thru your roof vent, your studor valve.

I should elucidate. The smell comes up when i flush as if the odors are not being pulled up the vent. I know it is common to get a little smell, but it seems a little extreme.
Thank you for the suggestions Flick, those items could cause a stink, but they seem to be fine.
I will give the 360 vent a try.

Thank you all for your responses.
Sherman

SLO

If.....you’re ceiling vent is open when you flush and your black tank vent terminates close to bathroom ceiling vent. Then, as air is expelled up black tank vent, it can be sucked back into the bathroom through the ceiling vent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lou_and_Bette

When we get that "little extreme" smell after flushing, it usually signals getting real close to dumping time. If we don't dump soon after starting to get the strong smell, then we get the proverbial "burp" when flushing and definitely time to dump.

MTPockets

We dealt with that odor until I caulked/sealed around the vent pipe at the roof. The odor was coming back in that gap around the pipe where it exits the roof.

ParkIt

If.....you’re ceiling vent is open when you flush and your black tank vent terminates close to bathroom ceiling vent. Then, as air is expelled up black tank vent, it can be sucked back into the bathroom through the ceiling vent.
Took me awhile to figure this issue out since I leave the standard fan vent open except during winter...and the vent stack is 6" away. Until I get into the list of "gotta fix or change that", I turn the vent fan on for a little bit. I might move to a modified composting toilet eliminating a lot of tank issues.

garyroee

I use Fan-Tastic Vent 801200 3-Speed RV Roof Vent. [FONT=&quot]This thing completely changes my RV! It can suck all the stale air out in just a few minutes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I paired mine with a couple of solar panels and just leave it on all day long. It only draws 18 watts on low, 26 watts on medium and a little over 30 watts on high.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Easy install.[/FONT]

ORV1980

Sherman
Sorry for being out of touch for awhile, but we have been in campgrounds with no wifi, or very very very slow. There have been other issues, but no need to go into that.

I was up on the roof for something else, I don't remember what at the moment, but i finally remembered to take up some caulking and seal around the vent pipes. I had been wanting to do that for a couple of years. I think that did help but since we are in a colder climate for a while, we will see how it goes when it gets warmer.

I will probably still upgrade to the 360 vents at some point.
Also, replacing the bathroom fart fan with a fantastic fan is also on my list of upgrades.

Thank you for everybody's input.
Sherman

jimcat

Im still stumped. We checked the roof vents.. all fine and all recaulked.. Studor valve in half bath replaced for a 2nd time as I do not know where this smell is coming from. Only happens in 1/2 bath and started on our journey from Pennsylvania to Arizona. Actually around Arkansas.. One rv tech believes it is just bacteria odor.. We have used pinesol/calgon,, and the regular camper stuff.. still there.. seal is fine.. no sign of leakage..only when you flush.. does it seem to be omitting the gas smell//. I used the camco wand as well.. idiot gage dropped from full to half full.. I will do that again soon.. Still mystified

mlpeloquin

Im still stumped. We checked the roof vents.. all fine and all recaulked.. Studor valve in half bath replaced for a 2nd time as I do not know where this smell is coming from. Only happens in 1/2 bath and started on our journey from Pennsylvania to Arizona. Actually around Arkansas.. One rv tech believes it is just bacteria odor.. We have used pinesol/calgon,, and the regular camper stuff.. still there.. seal is fine.. no sign of leakage..only when you flush.. does it seem to be omitting the gas smell//. I used the camco wand as well.. idiot gage dropped from full to half full.. I will do that again soon.. Still mystified
Do you run the exhaust vent fan? It can actually pull some of that some poop tank odor out when you flush.

Hollandt

If yo only get it when you flush, You may want to search on toilet problems. I remember reading a post about an issue with waste water remaining in the toilet assembly and causing a similar issue.

centerline

take a vacuum cleaner to the roof and use it to blow very briefly in the vent pipe..... if you get a smell in the trailer, then you may be able to sniff around until you locate the source..... and possible blow out any cobwebs that may be in the vent, as cobwebs will limit the flow of passive air movement, causing the vent pipe to become ineffective.......

if its determined that the smell you are referring to, is not coming up out of the bowl when you flush, the only other place it could be coming from is the flange area, but the smell of a leaking flange usually lingers around for awhile, UNLESS its leaking in such a way that only air is escaping...

when the contents in the toilet bowl gets flushed down, it has to displace the air in the tank, and if the vent is not working or is plumbed wrong, it will purge the tank air up and out the toilet when you flush...... a good test for this is to fill the bowl completely with water.. then flush. if you get an air bubble up from the tank, you know the vent line is NOT working like it is supposed to.... if the mass of water flows freely down into the tank, the vent is working well...

Last edited:

Allen G

Sherman
Had the same problem, I think vent pipe may be a bit small to vent properly, I removed the cap type cover and replaced it with a weather vein type, the slightest breeze creates a venturi and sucks the air out of the tank. This solved the problem completely. The one I put on looks sort of shark fin in case you are considering one.

Allen G

Think the swivle type venturi cap would take care of this problem, the wind can't put pressure down the pipe but will pull it out