Sheared screws on bedroom slide

righttime

My Big Country has an electric bedroom slide with cables. Recently I noticed that on the bottom right side of the slide 4 of the 6 screws holding the cable bracket to the slide have been sheared off. The bracket is now at an angle. Is the cable always under tension? Can I just remove the bracket and work on the screws? Any tips on how to remove the screws would be apprciated they are sheared off level. Can I just replace the bracket in a slight different location?

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I wouldn’t move it. That would cause the cable to run against the edge of the cutout in the metal it passes through. I would take out the two remaining screws, drill out the broken screws, and put the bracket back on with the existing holes and new screws. If your cable is real tight when the slide is extended, this could be difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Mine did that also. There are several holes in that bracket so I found some of those flat heat self tapping screws and filled every available hole.

If the bracket is bent I would remove it a straighten it out first then while it is off try to remove any of the screws you can
get ahold of.

Jerrod

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Flick

My Big Country has an electric bedroom slide with cables. Recently I noticed that on the bottom right side of the slide 4 of the 6 screws holding the cable bracket to the slide have been sheared off. The bracket is now at an angle. Is the cable always under tension? Can I just remove the bracket and work on the screws? Any tips on how to remove the screws would be apprciated they are sheared off level. Can I just replace the bracket in a slight different location?

Very handy to have is a set of Speed Out screw extractors available at Lowe’s. They are around $20 and work great. Remove the broken screws and replace bracket. Once the bracket is reattached, keep an eye on it to see if it gets in a bind while working the slide.

Lou_and_Bette

Happened to us right after we left dealership, but we sheared all 6 screws. I have very similar flat head piercing screws and drilled very small pilot holes just above broken screws, inserted new screws and all has been good for last 6 years.

sengli

I have seen new RV's on the lots with the screws broken or sheared off on those same brackets. Seems as if their must be too much tension on the cables.

righttime

Thanks for all the ideas. As I am putting the trailer away tomorrow i will leave the project for spring.

Last edited by a moderator: