Norcold 1210 1 Fan Not Running

Redrider007

I just noticed that I only have one fan running on the refrigerator and wondered if this is normal? It is pretty cool out where I am at but last time I looked both fans were running at same time. If this isn't normal and help would be appreciated! This unit dies while under warranty the first year so when it was replaced I bought a 4 year warranty for around $400 and of course it expired a few months ago!

RoadJunkie

I don’t have your Norcold model, but on my Norcold the fans are connected in parallel through a single thermal switch. They are only replaced by pulling the unit away from the mounted position.

danemayer

A single thermostat controls both fans. So the likely problem is that the fan has gotten tired and needs to be replaced.

Norcold 121x Fans.JPG

I was able to add a fan above the existing fans without removing unit as I could not reach the two existing fans . . .

Gary521

Are you referring the the fans IN the refrigerator or the fans Behind the refrigerator?

Gary521

I added three fans to the backside. two at the top and one at the bottom, and a new thermostat. I left the existing fans in place. The bottom blows in and up and the top fans blow out. I also sealed off around the top of the fridge so it does not trap air around the top.

Here is one way to do it. I used the fans he is talking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wVTP89-Btg

Redrider007

I added three fans to the backside. two at the top and one at the bottom, and a new thermostat. I left the existing fans in place. The bottom blows in and up and the top fans blow out. I also sealed off around the top of the fridge so it does not trap air around the top.

Here is one way to do it. I used the fans he is talking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wVTP89-Btg

Unfortunately I have no room for that mod- my cooling fins are almost flush with the opening and there is a metal plate that run up to the fins across the whole opening which I am guessing is used to direct fan air into the fins. That is a great simple mod I wish I could do rather than pay probably a $1000 to get fridge pulled out to replace a $80 fan though I will replace both if I go this route!

Gary521

Attach the fans right on the vent door. They do not have to be angled. Use zip ties. Most of us have the metal baffle that is there to direct air over the fins. The fans right on the vent door will suck the trapped air out of the top of the chamber behind the fridge. As I mentioned, I added a fan to the bottom vent blowing in, which helps the air get moving.

Redrider007

Attach the fans right on the vent door. They do not have to be angled. Use zip ties. Most of us have the metal baffle that is there to direct air over the fins. The fans right on the vent door will suck the trapped air out of the top of the chamber behind the fridge. As I mentioned, I added a fan to the bottom vent blowing in, which helps the air get moving.

Thanks I didn’t think I had the room but it looks like the fans are under an inch and that is what I need. I’m also considering the lower fan as well.;Which fan did you use there?