Cargo door components

I have a 2016 Bighorn 3270RS that the cargo compartment door underneath the awning has rotted. I need to purchase a new piece of plywood to rebuild it with and was hoping I could find out what thickness I need to buy. Apparently its not pressure treated wood or it would not have rotted so fast. Any ideas on what I should buy or is this a question I need to reach out to Heartland to get an answer?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have a 2016 Bighorn 3270RS that the cargo compartment door underneath the awning has rotted. I need to purchase a new piece of plywood to rebuild it with and was hoping I could find out what thickness I need to buy. Apparently its not pressure treated wood or it would not have rotted so fast. Any ideas on what I should buy or is this a question I need to reach out to Heartland to get an answer?

It might be possible to buy a door assembly from one of the RV Salvage companies, like Bontrager. When the doors on our former 2009 BH swelled from freeze/thaw, I replaced them with ones I purchased from another owner that had upgraded his to slam style doors.

In actuality, there isn't much (if any) wood in the door. Its got a thin outer skin over a foam core. Problem with ours was the little holes at the bottom of the door panel frame. When water runoff from snow or rain collected in the door frame, temperature fluctuations allowed it to wick into the foam core. When it froze, it swelled the panels. When I replaced the doors, I sealed those holes and mounted gutter strips over the door openings to direct runoff away from them.

Attachments

• OEM Door 1.jpg
    OEM Door 1.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6622.JPG
    IMG_6622.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
  • Door Side.JPG
    Door Side.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 26
It might be possible to buy a door assembly from one of the RV Salvage companies, like Bontrager. When the doors on our former 2009 BH swelled from freeze/thaw, I replaced them with ones I purchased from another owner that had upgraded his to slam style doors.

In actuality, there isn't much (if any) wood in the door. Its got a thin outer skin over a foam core. Problem with ours was the little holes at the bottom of the door panel frame. When water runoff from snow or rain collected in the door frame, temperature fluctuations allowed it to wick into the foam core. When it froze, it swelled the panels. When I replaced the doors, I sealed those holes and mounted gutter strips over the door openings to direct runoff away from them.

Thank you I'll look into that. I haven't taken it apart yet , so I only see the edge damage

Attachments

• PXL_20201006_171037262 (1).jpg
    PXL_20201006_171037262 (1).jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 28
  • PXL_20201006_171123698 (1).jpg
    PXL_20201006_171123698 (1).jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20201006_171011190 (1).jpg
    PXL_20201006_171011190 (1).jpg
    4 MB · Views: 30

JohnDar

Thank you I'll look into that. I haven't taken it apart yet , so I only see the edge damage

OK, my bad. I forgot the outer panel is thin wood with a Filon covering, similar to the wall panels. That's what doesn't play well with water. At any rate, what I purchased from the previous owner of the doors was the door and frame assembly complete, so when I installed the "new" frames, I caulked the beejeebers out of the flange backside before attaching it.

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
OK, my bad. I forgot the outer panel is thin wood with a Filon covering, similar to the wall panels. That's what doesn't play well with water. At any rate, what I purchased from the previous owner of the doors was the door and frame assembly complete, so when I installed the "new" frames, I caulked the beejeebers out of the flange backside before attaching it.
I am ordering wireless door locks for my cargo doors, by any chance do you know the thickness of the door? RV lock is asking is the door 1" or less or 1" or more,

JohnDar

I want to say 7/8” thick, but don’t quote me on that. Try removing one of the latches and measuring the thickness through the hole to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

david-steph2018

I am ordering wireless door locks for my cargo doors, by any chance do you know the thickness of the door? RV lock is asking is the door 1" or less or 1" or more,
Less than 1". I replaced all of mine last year during their sell. Speaking of that, RVLock is currently having their Black Friday sell. Their website says the sale ends in 4days, 16hours.

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
Less than 1". I replaced all of mine last year during their sell. Speaking of that, RVLock is currently having their Black Friday sell. Their website says the sale ends in 4days, 16hours.

yes I know that's why I was asking just ordered mine saved like $216 good sale Thanks