Durabak on the deck/ramp

Question,

Anyone have an opinion of coating the side deck/ramp with Durabak (or like product) to prevent water intrusion? It is the best idea I can come up with. I have looked at a bunch of different campers and all seem to have soft decks. I just want to do the right thing and keep it nice. I was thinking Textured on the ramp and smooth on the deck?

danemayer

Hi raymillsus,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. If anyone has tried Durabak or similar products, I'm sure they'll chime in.

david-steph2018

Question,

Anyone have an opinion of coating the side deck/ramp with Durabak (or like product) to prevent water intrusion? It is the best idea I can come up with. I have looked at a bunch of different campers and all seem to have soft decks. I just want to do the right thing and keep it nice. I was thinking Textured on the ramp and smooth on the deck?

Several individuals have used items such as Herculiner to seal the decks. We have not done it to our Road Warrior yet, but I am considering it this winter while in Arizona. I did give it a real good caulking at the joints, bolts and the edges.
But the decks/ramps on the one you are looking at are probably from a different manufacturer then what is on our Road Warrior.
If you check you may have those made by Lippert, our deck/ramps are made by Challenger.
Heartland changed the source for the deck/ramps before we purchased our rig, but not sure the date when they changed.

Tree14

We having same issues with our Cyclone. What will you use to remove the existing coating if you plan to apply new product ?

Love this site. So helpful

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

david-steph2018

We having same issues with our Cyclone. What will you use to remove the existing coating if you plan to apply new product ?

Love this site. So helpful

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Probably just apply over the existing. I looked and it is suggest you use etching primer on the metal to adhere better. Still deciding between products, which would be best.

Probably just apply over the existing. I looked and it is suggest you use etching primer on the metal to adhere better. Still deciding between products, which would be best.

I Was thinking put it on over the existing too. My thought was I would tape it just inside the seal mark and paint up on to the aluminum so it would seal the seam around the frame. Smooth on the deck and textured on the Ramp.

LBR

I applied 1 gallon of Herculiner over the cleaned up rear deck of our CY....it was enough for 2 medium wet coats, then sealed all other hardware.

Afterwards, I purchased 1 quart for yearly touchups where the tires of our X3 rock crawler scuffs up the Herculiner.

I applied 1 gallon of Herculiner over the cleaned up rear deck of our CY....it was enough for 2 medium wet coats, then sealed all other hardware.

Afterwards, I purchased 1 quart for yearly touchups where the tires of our X3 rock crawler scuffs up the Herculiner.

Can you expand on the "then sealed all other hardware" meaning how and what did you use

Flick

Question,

This is what I think l, but I believe putting some kind of coating on an rv deck or ramp should not be necessary and would serve no purpose. I would think most of the surfaces have some form of waterproof covering.
I understand that most manufacturers recommend you not to put away wet but if you do, you need to dry them out the first chance you get.
I believe that most damage to these ramps come from the ends or sides with water entering there.
You mention a soft deck surface. What is the surface?
However, maybe someone else has used a similar product.

Lost_my_beer

Just got our Cyclone with side and rear porches about 3 months ago. Did a bunch of research and was concerned about soggy decks. Decided to use a truck bed paint (Rynoliner I think) that I got at Lowes. Sealed the obvious intrusion area with a good paintable bathroom caulking and then brushed it right over the top. Used 2 thick coats which covered the aluminum into the decking surface. 1 qt worked perfect. Has held up ok. Actually really well, except for on the aluminum. I should have etched it with scotchbright perhaps. To be clear. It is perfect except where the fence rails swing over and scrape the aluminum parts. I try to raise it over to not scratch it now.
Fwiw I did call Lippert and talked to an engineer. Asked her about the failing floors. Asked her if it was just on the older ones and maybe the new ones were redesigned and ok?! She said, yea she knows of the issue, which is still on the new ones. I asked her what Lippert’s recommendations are. She seriously said, “just stow the porch when it rains.” Wtf?
I said, the reason I purchased this unit is so I can still sit outside in a light rain and not get all wet and soggy in the mud. She then says, “wow, yea. I never thought of that.”
Those are the same people designing our trailers.
Troy

david-steph2018

Just got our Cyclone with side and rear porches about 3 months ago. Did a bunch of research and was concerned about soggy decks. Decided to use a truck bed paint (Rynoliner I think) that I got at Lowes. Sealed the obvious intrusion area with a good paintable bathroom caulking and then brushed it right over the top. Used 2 thick coats which covered the aluminum into the decking surface. 1 qt worked perfect. Has held up ok. Actually really well, except for on the aluminum. I should have etched it with scotchbright perhaps. To be clear. It is perfect except where the fence rails swing over and scrape the aluminum parts. I try to raise it over to not scratch it now.
Fwiw I did call Lippert and talked to an engineer. Asked her about the failing floors. Asked her if it was just on the older ones and maybe the new ones were redesigned and ok?! She said, yea she knows of the issue, which is still on the new ones. I asked her what Lippert’s recommendations are. She seriously said, “just stow the porch when it rains.” Wtf?
I said, the reason I purchased this unit is so I can still sit outside in a light rain and not get all wet and soggy in the mud. She then says, “wow, yea. I never thought of that.”
Those are the same people designing our trailers.
Troy

Does your Cyclone come with Lippert ramps? Our Road Warrior has Challenger made on it. Our unit is a 2018.
During the factory tour at the National Rally we were told Heartland had switched to Challenger made, just wondering if they had switched back to Lippert made products.

Lost_my_beer

Been busy, sorry for the delay.
Went out and checked, yep its a Challenger. Funny. The rep at lippert didn't question me.
Have anyone had issues with the Challengers? Would be nice to not worry about stuff like this.
Troy