Rv antenna booster

carl.swoyer

Hello folks,
Since I got the Landmark back from the new roof job I been unable to scan out of air successfully.
I tested for dc volts at the coax by placing the negative on the barrel and the positive on the copper wire in the middle. Zero reading.
Check out the dc to the booster, we have dc going in and nothing going out.
Un less I'm missing something " A bad booster.?
And has anyone updated the booster to the more expensive one with the signal meter? Was it worth it?
Thanks
Any suggestions would be great.
Seems to simple. Lol

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

danemayer

Check for a blown fuse in the main fuse box. Check the fuse with a meter. Although you're reading voltage at the booster, if you have LEDs next to your fuses, the LED may pass enough power to the booster LED to illuminate it, and to show a voltage reading on a digital meter, despite having a blown fuse.

You may have a barrel connector under the boot at the base of the antenna, and another under the directional crank in the bedroom. As the roof was worked on, I'd check the base of the antenna first.

carl.swoyer

Thanks Dane,
I pulled the booster tested dc volts on the backside of it. It has dc at the circuit board.

danemayer

Thanks Dane,
I pulled the booster tested dc volts on the backside of it. It has dc at the circuit board.

On my 2011 LM, if the fuse to the signal booster is blown, a very low current flows through the fuse box LED to the booster circuit board. You might be reading that very low current 12V.

Flick

Hello folks,
Since I got the Landmark back from the new roof job I been unable to scan out of air successfully.
I tested for dc volts at the coax by placing the negative on the barrel and the positive on the copper wire in the middle. Zero reading.
Check out the dc to the booster, we have dc going in and nothing going out.
Un less I'm missing something " A bad booster.?
And has anyone updated the booster to the more expensive one with the signal meter? Was it worth it?
Thanks
Any suggestions would be great.
Seems to simple. Lol

Thats just to coincidental. There has to be a problem where they reinstalled the antenna. I’d look there before replacing booster.

carl.swoyer

Thats just to coincidental. There has to be a problem where they reinstalled the antenna. I’d look there before replacing booster.
Well that's what I thought.
Rv roof. Com said hire a mobile rv tech and the would pay.
But tommorow I'm going to test all the coax cable in the rv. I have 12.6 at the booster circuit board but zero at the output. Hopefully it a bad booster.
which brings me back to one of my original questions has anybody installed the power booster for the antenna with the signal meter if you have is it worth it

carl.swoyer

Check for a blown fuse in the main fuse box. Check the fuse with a meter. Although you're reading voltage at the booster, if you have LEDs next to your fuses, the LED may pass enough power to the booster LED to illuminate it, and to show a voltage reading on a digital meter, despite having a blown fuse.

You may have a barrel connector under the boot at the base of the antenna, and another under the directional crank in the bedroom. As the roof was worked on, I'd check the base of the antenna first.
Hay Dane,
Checked out the 5amp fuse it is good.
Tested the coax for Short's. They all passed the continuity test. I then removed the 3 coax from the booster and tested. They passed.
While the booster was disconnected I put the tester on each connection two passed one failed. This was with the dc disconnected.
So I'm thinking they shorted the booster when they cut the coax on the roof?
Does that sound possible

danemayer

Hay Dane,
Checked out the 5amp fuse it is good.
Tested the coax for Short's. They all passed the continuity test. I then removed the 3 coax from the booster and tested. They passed.
While the booster was disconnected I put the tester on each connection two passed one failed. This was with the dc disconnected.
So I'm thinking they shorted the booster when they cut the coax on the roof?
Does that sound possible

Carl,

I suppose it's possible. But I'd note that over the years it's been pretty common to find ground strands in contact with the center leads. I don't recall that being associated with blown booster boards.

Maybe take advantage of the roofer's offer to reimburse cost of mobile repair.

carl.swoyer

Carl,

I suppose it's possible. But I'd note that over the years it's been pretty common to find ground strands in contact with the center leads. I don't recall that being associated with blown booster boards.

Maybe take advantage of the roofer's offer to reimburse cost of mobile repair.
Dane ,
That's what I just did.