Fresh water tank drain location

dweigman

I know this question has been discussed in the past but after reading all of those discussions I'm still not finding my fresh water tank drain. I recently bought an older 2012 Big Horn 3455RL 5er as a project trailer. It has a long history of neglect and I've solved most of the problems caused by the former owners lack of care. I'm just now turning my attention to the fresh water system. I want to sanitize the system and in that process I can't seem to find the tank drain. I've owned several similar 38' trailers over the years and all of them have had a drain under the belly somwhere. I can't find a drain under this trailer anywhere. Not hidden near the axles where its harder to spot or anywhere. The whole belly is covered nicely and is undamaged. NO signs of a hole where the drain may have been pushed up thru. I'm stymied. Can someone help me crack the secret location code? Was this manufactured without a tank drain? Is it about just running the pump until the tank is below the level of the pump pickup? Thanks for any help you can give me.

danemayer

Hi dweigman,

After I had independent suspension installed, I couldn't find the fresh tank drain. Turned out that the drain came out right where the new parts were installed, so they positioned it on top where I couldn't see it.

It's also possible the coroplast underbelly was replaced at some point and the drain was left above the new panel. You might remove a few of the coroplast mounting screws on the off-door-side and peer in around the axles to see if you can spot it.

rhodies1

I know this question has been discussed in the past but after reading all of those discussions I'm still not finding my fresh water tank drain. I recently bought an older 2012 Big Horn 3455RL 5er as a project trailer. It has a long history of neglect and I've solved most of the problems caused by the former owners lack of care. I'm just now turning my attention to the fresh water system. I want to sanitize the system and in that process I can't seem to find the tank drain. I've owned several similar 38' trailers over the years and all of them have had a drain under the belly somwhere. I can't find a drain under this trailer anywhere. Not hidden near the axles where its harder to spot or anywhere. The whole belly is covered nicely and is undamaged. NO signs of a hole where the drain may have been pushed up thru. I'm stymied. Can someone help me crack the secret location code? Was this manufactured without a tank drain? Is it about just running the pump until the tank is below the level of the pump pickup? Thanks for any help you can give me.

I own the same year and model Bighorn. My fresh water tank drain is located on the drivers side of the unit about 3 feet behind the axle. Check closely to see if there is a small slit in the coroplast and it got pushed back up inside the unit. It should have a ball valve shut off attached to the end .If it was never put through the coroplast from the factory and the previous owner only used the pump,the water quality being left in the tank over the years would be very bad,you’ll need to sanitize the tank very well. You could remove a few screws holding the coroplast in this area,use a flashlight and see if the drain is lying on coroplast. Good luck.

dweigman

Thanks guys. I will go forth now with more energy (if I can muster any...lol) knowing now to look around or just behind the axles on the driver side. The trailer is in having brake and bearing work done at the moment and I'm waiting for the call that it's done and I can go get it. Hopefully I'll still have enough money for diesel once I pay for it. Anyway...soon as I get it home I'm going back under it and will find the drain and sanitize the tank. Leaving for S. Arizona (from NE Washington) in two days. thanks again....