Toilet stinks

Redrider007

We have been dry camping without moving for months and even prior I have noticed a foul sewer smell when flushing. I have replaced valves under sinks and run a fish tape down my vents but can’t stop the smell. I don’t think the tank is full but it almost always reads full after dumping and flushing tank so it’s hard to tell. I’ve used a variety of black tank additives but after a couple weeks it gets bad.

LBR

We have been dry camping without moving for months and even prior I have noticed a foul sewer smell when flushing. I have replaced valves under sinks and run a fish tape down my vents but can’t stop the smell. I don’t think the tank is full but it almost always reads full after dumping and flushing tank so it’s hard to tell. I’ve used a variety of black tank additives but after a couple weeks it gets bad.

You possibly could have a poop pyramid building that will be increasingly harder and harder to break up if forming.

Lou_and_Bette

Ours usually doesn't stink but, when the tank is nearing being full, we get a pretty foul smell. If we put off dumping, for one reason or another, we will then get the "burp." This phenomena occurs when the tank is nearing the completely full state. When you depress the flush pedal, a good sized bubble will come up before the liquid goes down. Also, most of us do not trust/check the tank level lights. They are notorious for being inaccurate. You will learn which sign works for you. Mine are 1st the smell, then the "burp."

RoadJunkie

Long term camping without moving: Are you leaving your dump valve open all the time, or are you allowing the tank to fill before dumping? If the former, you are asking for long term trouble and would potentially be the source of the odor. Use plenty of water when flushing, water is your friend.

mlpeloquin

You cannot rely on tank sensors. It becomes second nature when the tanks get close to full. I learned to leave the gray water tank valves open until the second to the last day. For the black tank and gray, we use Happy Camper. It eliminates odor and really breaks down the paper and poop. If you have a true poop pyramid, you may have to call in a service that blasts the tanks clean. Several parks across the country that we stayed at had advertisements for companies that preformed that service. The only one I can remember off the top of my head is the Oasis RV Park in Las Vegas, Nevada.

rhodies1

The next time you get to a Walmart ,go to rv section and pick up a pack of Commando packets..
Drop one or two into your tank, fill with water and let stand for a few hours..these things are great for breaking up sediment and debris that stays in your tank.( you know what I’m referring to)... they also clean your sensors. I’ve used them a number of times and have been surprised by the additional stuff that comes out when dumping.
Chances are your tanks are not dumping completely even with a flush, dry camping and not moving, your getting some build up in the tank causing the odour.

- - - Updated - - -

hoefler

In warm weather, tank chemical is only good for about 2 weeks. Less if you use the GEO method or non formaldehyde chemicals. By not moving, the tank does not get mixed up to help get things loose.

NYSUPstater

I switched to the Happy Camper product mentioned above over the summer and tho we went almost a month between uses, can say we didn't have any odor. Course there was nothing in black tank except 10 gallons of water, capful each of cheap fabric & laundry detergent (GEO method). Back when the season started, didn't dump tanks, went about 2-3 weeks and then we encountered black tank odor. It was then we inquired here and was told about Happy Camper. So far, so good. Yep, tank sensor readings stink.......even for dry/galley tanks. Figure that one out.

LBR

Long term camping without moving: Are you leaving your dump valve open all the time, or are you allowing the tank to fill before dumping?

OP said dry camping, so I assumed they weren't leaving the dump valve open all the time.... hope not anyway!

Redrider007

OP said dry camping, so I assumed they weren't leaving the dump valve open all the time.... hope not anyway!

Thanks all! I don’t ever leave any drain valves open but just two of us and I’m a pooper! Gonna try the Venturi vent top as well!

MTPockets

We had the odor but it disappeared after I filled the gap with caulk, where the vent pipe exits the roof. In our case, Odor was creeping back into that gap from the roof.