specs / measurements

akfoote

Hi All
Newbie question here.. We are about a month away from picking up our new Cyclone 4006 (yep first 5th wheel unit).
I'm in the process of buying my tow rig and have some options I'm looking at.
Is there anyway or does anyone know the clearance measurements around the hitch area on this unit .. I can not locate any of the actual dimensions via heartland.
One of the tow vehicles im looking at is a flatbed which is why im asking .. not a std pickup box.
Thanks for any pointers..

danemayer

Hi akfoote,

It would help to be more specific about what clearances you want to know. Clearance between what and what?

akfoote

Hi akfoote,

It would help to be more specific about what clearances you want to know. Clearance between what and what?

Agh .. sorry you are correct, that was pretty vague.

Looking for some general numbers on:

- kingpin to trailer body (so some horizontal clearance there)
- top to bottom 5th wheel hitch (something like king pin to bottom of bedroom portion of trailer)

One of the tow vehicles I'm interested in is a flatbed (not hauler) I believe a CM 8.5' bed and it has a couple of small 6" or 8" boxes on the deck in the rear.
A little concerned if this will clear the unit in general. I have contacted a local hitch outfit and there are a few options on actual flatbed 5th wheel hitch units out there. So its probably possible but some actual clearance / dimension values from the trailer would be nice.

Flick

Agh .. sorry you are correct, that was pretty vague.

Looking for some general numbers on:

- kingpin to trailer body (so some horizontal clearance there)
- top to bottom 5th wheel hitch (something like king pin to bottom of bedroom portion of trailer)

One of the tow vehicles I'm interested in is a flatbed (not hauler) I believe a CM 8.5' bed and it has a couple of small 6" or 8" boxes on the deck in the rear.
A little concerned if this will clear the unit in general. I have contacted a local hitch outfit and there are a few options on actual flatbed 5th wheel hitch units out there. So its probably possible but some actual clearance / dimension values from the trailer would be nice.

I don’t have a 4006 but the specs for my 4100 should be relatively close.
The top of my pickup bed is taller than most because of my taller tires. My bed height is 60” and still allows me about 5 1/2 to 6” of clearance between truck and overhang of trailer. So if you have a flatbed with tool boxes, you’ll be ok.
My Reese 20k hitch from truck bed to top of hitch is 17”. Ground to bed is 37”. Top of hitch 54” from level ground.
The one area you need to watch for is the distance from kingpin to trailer. The distance from kingpin center to front of trailer is 78”. If your bed is 8.5’ and with the hitch directly over the wheels, you should be ok. However, I will tell you that with my tailgate down, there is only about a few inches clearance and if the tailgate would be down, it would hit the trailer on turns. So check those measurements closely. That is why some flatbeds have the rear corners at 45 deg.

akfoote

I don’t have a 4006 but the specs for my 4100 should be relatively close.

Great information! Thanks ... I'm going to grab some measurements from this thing and see where I get.
It does look like there are some "low profile" 5th wheel hitch options out there ...