Rotted Floor in Slide Out

jhardin

Your opinion's please... First of all, I am not bashing Heartland, Im just try to share some of my experience's that my fellow owner's may avoid or check theirself.
Should a 2018 Landmark Oshkosh (the long slide of slide in slide) floor be rotted out in 2 yrs 8 months, which is used mabe a total of 2 to 3 months a year? (I had a rotted out basement floor replaced within a 1 1/2 years of purchasing RV) I store it on my property in a covered shelter with side walls. I have had caulking checked / maintenance since bought new. Before the Landmark, I had a 2012 Bighorn (new) that had mabe 2 or 3 problems the entire time of ownership. I gave myself a Landmark for retirement based on the experience with my Bighorn and am starting to think I made a big mistake. I have had things fixed and I think to myself, this is it, finally got all the issues of owning a new RV completed to only have others show up. I have had so many issues since the purchased of my New Landmark (I can list with pic's if you want). Just curious if other owner's of newer units are having many problems with their unit.
I hope I'm able to get some help from Heartland on this rotted floor issue, as you know as well as me, its going to be pretty expensive. Either way it has to be fixed (By Affinity RV in Indiana) . Yep, I will travel from South Georgia to Indiana to let Affinity Rv work on my camper. They are one of the best in my book.. I have also included a pic of separation when hooked up to truck. Once you offload the truck the caulk line is flush.

Attachments

• 20201012_161851.jpg
    20201012_161851.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 73
  • 20201012_161834.jpg
    20201012_161834.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 70
  • 20201012_161759.jpg
    20201012_161759.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 66
  • 20201013_144012.jpg
    20201013_144012.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 63
  • 20201013_144019.jpg
    20201013_144019.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 59
  • 20201013_144036.jpg
    20201013_144036.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 60
I had the floors in two of my slide outs have the same issue. I have a 2018 Bighorn Traveler. Heartland covered the replacement of these floors under their three year structural warranty because of the way the drip edge on the bottom was improperly placed during the build process. It took lots of back and forth between Heartland and me because I wouldn't take no for an answer to have the replacement covered. Contact Heartland if your unit is three years old or less and battle for what should be covered.
I also had Affinity do my work, but I'm only 2 hours away from them. Great people.

danemayer

Hi Jerry,

I believe you have a 3 year structural warranty, so there's a pretty good likelihood that Heartland will take care of this for you. You should call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. The rep, especially a new one, may want to get into a caulking and sealant discussion. If they do, stay calm and point out the inside storage and regular maintenance.

I can't quite tell from the pictures here what's damaged, so you might want to take some additional shots and be prepared to email them to Heartland.

ParkIt

Have just had the same issue with the drip line trim on the larger slide out though it was mostly due to wind and not being level during some storms. I was able to patch the trim line with Eternabond tape then found some rubber mat material for free when a full size trampoline collapsed to patch under both corners after removing the corplast and 2x2" water damaged flooring. We still have another week of storms coming up but for now, it's holding and staying dry.

I got lucky, this rig is 9 years old and only starting to show issues after sitting in storage for so long.
Hope HeartLand gets you fixed up in no time.

jhardin

Hi Jerry,

I believe you have a 3 year structural warranty, so there's a pretty good likelihood that Heartland will take care of this for you. You should call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. The rep, especially a new one, may want to get into a caulking and sealant discussion. If they do, stay calm and point out the inside storage and regular maintenance.

I can't quite tell from the pictures here what's damaged, so you might want to take some additional shots and be prepared to email them to Heartland.

Danemayer,
I got kinda excited there for awhile. I did a little research on the 3 yr structure warranty. I found out the unit had to be built after November 1, 2017. Mine was built March 16, 2017 and I didn't purchase until January of 2018. Mabe they will feel sorry for me and make an exception. I'll call them Monday and see or should I just let Affinity RV repair handle it ?

danemayer

Danemayer,
I got kinda excited there for awhile. I did a little research on the 3 yr structure warranty. I found out the unit had to be built after November 1, 2017. Mine was built March 16, 2017 and I didn't purchase until January of 2018. Mabe they will feel sorry for me and make an exception. I'll call them Monday and see or should I just let Affinity RV repair handle it ?

Page 4 of the 2017 Landmark Manual includes a 3 year structural warranty. There was a general change adding a 3 year structural warranty to other models which is I think what your research found. If you don't have a copy of the LM manual, here's a link to the 2017 document.

But you're not quite home yet. The warranty covers "defects" which means some type of manufacturing defect or mistake. It might be that. It could be attributed to some other cause - lack of maintenance for example. Storing under a shelter with sidewalls argues that it's more likely to be a defect.

But I'd say that in general, Customer Service supports Landmarks pretty well. So you should have a calm discussion with them. I usually recommend starting by describing the problem and asking them what they think might have caused it. Then if they go to maintenance, you can ask questions like how they might tell the difference between a factory or materials defect and a maintenance issue. At some point you bring up how the unit has been stored.

I'd expect they would want the unit inspected by a dealer before they commit to anything. They'll probably agree to let Affinity inspect and make a determination of the cause.