2019 T322 - Electric Brakes

We were using a 2017 2500HD Duramax to pull our rig and upgraded to a 2020 3500HD Duramax. When testing the trailer brakes in the driveway by manually using the brake controller the trailer brakes do not lock up and stop the truck. Doing the same process with the 2017 truck it would stop the trailer immediately. I spoke to two GM seasoned mechanics and the 2020 uses a different type of brake controller allowing the truck to calibrate the amount of force the electric brake needs to apply during braking. Just wanted to see if anyone has experienced the same issue and if anyone has any feedback?

Flick

We were using a 2017 2500HD Duramax to pull our rig and upgraded to a 2020 3500HD Duramax. When testing the trailer brakes in the driveway by manually using the brake controller the trailer brakes do not lock up and stop the truck. Doing the same process with the 2017 truck it would stop the trailer immediately. I spoke to two GM seasoned mechanics and the 2020 uses a different type of brake controller allowing the truck to calibrate the amount of force the electric brake needs to apply during braking. Just wanted to see if anyone has experienced the same issue and if anyone has any feedback?

Is it possible that on your 2500, the brake gain was to strong? Your 3500 may very well be closer to what you need, especially since it is a bigger and heavier truck.
With that being said, only you would know if the trailer brakes are holding enough to give you good braking power. If the truck isn’t supplying enough gain and is supposed to adjust accordingly, then I would assume there has to be a way to adjust the gain.
I know someone who has a Duramax will tell you their story. Enjoy your new truck. They are nice.

danemayer

Our 2014 RAM has 4 menu settings for the brake controller. Perhaps yours also has some control settings.

sengli

I had a silverado 3500 prior to the current RAM 3500 I have now. I had okay brakes with that unit maxed out. With the RAM, and my newer land mark with 8K axles...the brake response was dismal . I couldnt lock up the brakes on loose gravel in the driveway. I ended up by passing the IBC in the truck, and installed a tekonsha progidy P3 aftermarket controller with the appropriate wiring harness adaptor. Install took 10 minutes maybe. Now I have brakes beyond belief. Night and day difference, in the response from the same RV, same truck....... just the different brake controller.

I know some of these new OEM IBC's are a pulsed DC output, mine measured maxed out on heavy electric, at 7-8volts a the 7 pin connector at the rear of the truck. Like I said it was dismal braking, barely even noticeable.