Demopolis, AL to Seattle in winter

Offtrail

Hello,

We are considering going to Seattle from Demopolis, AL....first grandchild. Like to arrive about Feb 1 with no time constraints regarding length of the trip.

We have a 30' 2017 North Trail Caliper pulled by 2020 Nissan Titan with distribution/ sway hitch.

We would stay as far south as possible in the US until we get passed the high peaks of the Sierra range... and then north on the Pacific Coast Highway 101. The question is where do we make the turn north to avoid any unacceptable passes? San Diego? LA? Bakersfield? We have no interest in visiting the cities.

Thanks,

Chas & Bev McKeown

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
If there is Ice, you might have to take Hwy 101 all the way to Tillamook OR and then over to Interstate 5 at Portland. You have a big mountain pass that is in southern Oregon which would be potentially dangerous if the weather was bad and they had freezing temps.

Rod

wdk450

This could be a long, tough, sketchy, trip in midwinter. I 10 is the most southerly route, to I 210 skirting the L.A. basin on the Northern side, to I-5 going north to either Williams or Redding, crossing West over the coastal range to US101 in Ukiah or Eureka. The Redding road is curvier, and more of a challenge. US 101 follows a lower elevation coastal route, but is a 2 lane curvy, bumpier, road in Northern California and Oregon. US 101 from L.A north actually goes through the city of San Francisco on city streets, and across the Golden Gate Bridge. Even when you are not in snow in the pacific northwest, you can expect rain. Recent large wildfires could cause landslides in the rain. Collect road conditions phone numbers for every state you plan to travel through, and be able to be flexible at a moment's notice in your proposed routing.

Have you thought of Airlines or Amtrak?

Offtrail

Thanks for all for providing ideas and insight. For family reasons we hope to get to Seattle by early February putting us at the Siskiyou Pass in January...if we do this.

Have been researching communicating with DOT Oregon, RV Park employees, other RV forums, etc. Here is a statement one full timer sent:

"There is a lot of RVers who wait to head south until after Christmas or even New Years. Yes, they have to adjust their travel itinerary to match up with suitable weather conditions, staying near the passes as required if the weather sneaks in unexpectedly. Fortunately, they know how to keep the passes passable and the delay may only be a day or two."

When you search this idea of 'waiting for the right weather' on the I5 in winter, it seems to be used by many. So....thought we would ask those of you who have been so kind to pass on your knowledge:

- Is this a viable approach?

- Would you do it?

Thank you for your help,

Chas & Bev McKeown

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Thanks for all for providing ideas and insight. For family reasons we hope to get to Seattle by early February putting us at the Siskiyou Pass in January...if we do this.

Have been researching communicating with DOT Oregon, RV Park employees, other RV forums, etc. Here is a statement one full timer sent:

"There is a lot of RVers who wait to head south until after Christmas or even New Years. Yes, they have to adjust their travel itinerary to match up with suitable weather conditions, staying near the passes as required if the weather sneaks in unexpectedly. Fortunately, they know how to keep the passes passable and the delay may only be a day or two."

When you search this idea of 'waiting for the right weather' on the I5 in winter, it seems to be used by many. So....thought we would ask those of you who have been so kind to pass on your knowledge:

- Is this a viable approach?

- Would you do it?

Thank you for your help,

Chas & Bev McKeown

That is pretty accurate. If you have a few days to spare, and travel during the middle of the day, then you will be fine.

Rod

SNOKING

Come West on I-10, in California take the 210, 215 to 138 to Palmdale(this keeps you off the Grape Vine(I-5 Mountain pass North of LA basin). Turn West on E Ave S(across from Walmart, South side of Palmdale), go a couple miles and get on 14 North to 58, get on 58 West to Bakersfield. From Bakersfield head North on 99 and start checking on the Siskiyous road conditions 2 to 3 days ahead that straddle the Ca/Or border. https://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/Road-Conditions?mainNav=RoadConditions&curRegion=7 Not only does Southern Oregon have the Siskiyous, there are 3 or 4 smaller hump to get over. At Lodi California(Flag City RV Park) is a good place to decide if you are going to head to the Coast to get on 101, getting much farther North limits the routes to 101. I good place in mid Oregon Coast to return to I-5 is at Reedsport on 38. If you go past Reedsport, I would suggest just keep going on into Washington state to Raymond and beyond on 101, 107 and 12/8 to Olympia.

If you want some suggestions of places to stay in Arizona, California, Oregon and Washington let me know. With aprox number of miles you want to cover each day. Chris

- - - Updated - - -

I would add that several times going South between Christmas and New Years I went to 101 on the Coast. Never Northbound. One year we crossed the Siskiyous Northbound on April 1st the only day that week did not have snow. Oregon DOT will require that you chain up at least one trailer axle if conditions are bad. Also we had a small amount of snow once on 101 South of the Redwoods. We started the Washington to Arizona migration in 2008. I always planned on a full extra travel day if I went to the Coast. Eureka to Crescent City, Ca is a lot more work as a driver, along with all of 101 to a lesser degree. Chris