Help pointing non-portable Dish network antenna

Lou_and_Bette

We are back in our wintering spot in South Mississippi. I have this site set up like a sticks and bricks house as far as the Satellite set up goes. I have the standard, non-portable, satellite antenna mounted on a post and this has worked well for us in the past. This year, however, I can not receive all my subscribed channels because some trees have finally grown up to a height they interfere with the reception. Trimming the trees is, for the present time, not an option. I believe that I have another location that will be a clear shot to the satellites. I have never installed one of these antennas myself, original done by installer when I started the Dish Network service. After reading and watching videos on this subject, I feel I can move the antenna myself but have a question before I start removing things.

I believe that when one starts the aiming process, getting the Azimuth and Elevation is generic to a zip code and then the "fine tuning" is done using the Skew. The antenna will be relocated almost directly in line with the old placement but further north which gives me an angle to the birds that is clear. So, if that information is true, then the only adjustment I should have to make after moving the dish to a different, but near by location, is to adjust the Skew setting? Is it really that simple since the dish was previously aimed correctly?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Lou, it's very important to have the mast that you will be using perfectly plum.
As long as you are close, like on the same acre, you shouldn't have to change any settings. Pretty much plug and play.
Once you are mounted you can verify the aiming by using the signal meter on your receiver.

Peace
Dave

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
What Dave says.
Had sat at our previously owned cabin. For the same reason you’re experiencing I had to move it from one tree to higher in another. As long as it’s pointed in the same compass direction, you should be okay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

My experience with Directv aiming is that after you lock in a signal, you fine tune using all three adjustments. A little here a little there.

wdk450

I use a portable tripod like this that I bought from Radio Shack years ago: https://www.summitsource.com/Eagle-...nRQfubFhh-Ed65gnPKhsKGuX0JAno7bRoCc2sQAvD_BwE

I fill a 5 gallon generic plastic bucket from the home improvement store with water or rocks to weight the tripod/antenna down from the wind. You can also pound nail-type tent stakes through the holes in the tripod's feet. I secure the bucket outer lip to the tripod in 3 places with wound up bungee cords.

I recommend the Dish for My RV aiming app on my I phone to find where the satellites are in the sky from my selected tripod site. I use a cheap dollar store magnetic mount short level to level the tripod in 2 axis 90 degrees off from each other. I use the compass in my I phone for gross azimuth, the marks on the dish antenna base for gross elevation and skew. Skew is usually right from the antenna base mount markings. With a simple signal meter like this: https://www.ebay.com/i/183199730743...EBASYzXeSsv8YA9mGCtcKYRspaEAmvnBoCRGgQAvD_BwE you should be able to tune up the 3 satellites.

jbeletti

Restored post by Flick from Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 9:07 PM

Or you could call Dish and they’ll do a repair order and send out a technician to aim it professionally. If you don’t have a maintenance agreement where you can get it done for free, just tell the tech you want the maintenance agreement and he can sign you up retroactively. The visit will be covered and you’ll only owe for the one month which is very inexpensive. The first of next month, you cancel it and they won’t ask any questions. Hmmmm. Ain’t America great.

Flick

Thanks for the info guy's. I will keep you all updated when the move happens
Lou, the reason I know about the maintenance agreement is because I called Dish a while back and was wanting a break in my billing. They told me one way to save a few bucks is to cancel the maintenance agreement and if you have a service that is needed, just call Dish, set up a tech appointment and when the tech gets to your place, tell the tech you want the agreement. He can set up the agreement, your visit will be covered and the first of next month you cancel it. You only have to pay the one month of the agreement which is a few dollars.