Electric Fireplaces won’t run at the same time ?

bigdob24

I’ve got one in living room and one in the bedroom and they don’t run at the same time and I’m on 50amp service.
‘These are factory installed and never have worked together.
‘They were on 750 watt the low setting .
‘Any ideas why?
BD

Bogie

I'm guessing they are on the same circuit. If they are both on the same 15 amp breaker that might be a bit too much. Also, you should check what else is on the circuit. If for example, if the electric element for the water heater is on the same circuit too, that could easily put you over.

If none of that pan's out, I would check the connections for each fireplace to make sure they are tight and good.

Finally, if you are comfortable working with electrical systems, you could investigate if it is possible to move one of the fireplaces to the other leg of the 50 amp service.

danemayer

Someone else posted about the same problem a while back but I can't find that post and don't remember what the solution was.

I'd suggest looking in the main circuit breaker panel (with power disconnected) to see if there are 2 black wires in the fireplace circuit breaker. If so, a solution might be to take one of those wires and put it on a separate breaker. If there are no empty slots, you can probably replace that breaker with a twin from any hardware store. Or, you might seat one of the wires in the air conditioner breaker. You likely won't be using both the fireplace and the A/C unit at the same time.

bigdob24

They do not trip the breaker, there is something internal that shuts them both down. Seems like it’s something Heartland wires in the circuit and I thought it was only supposed to trip when not enough current”30amp” .
I thought if I could find out where it is and remove it , may have to contact HL.
‘Thanks
BT

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Did you try adjustng the fireplace thermostat, if it's equipped?

Peace
Dave

bigdob24

I’ll just leave it the way it is and not take a chance of damaging one or the other heater
Thanks for all the input
BD