After a 'blowout' I don't have brake/signal lights on my RV

icechex

Had a blowout (right front tire on RV)

One of the consenquences is I've lost my brake/signal lights on the RV (3690 SL Big Country)

Had wires drooping down on my blowout - so I cut them and wirenutted them off, and saved the wires I removed. When I got the blowout replaced and made it to the house - I started trying to figure out where the wires connect up too. Amazingly I cannot find where they go. I initally thought they went to the J Box (in the vicinity) - however the wires in J Box doesn't show any kind of damage, and the wires won't reach that far anyway. I'm attaching some pictures so someone might be able to help. I have contacted the factory (yesterday) but am still waiting their input. Anything anyone might have to help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• blowout 3.jpg
    blowout 3.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Blowout 2.jpg
    Blowout 2.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Blowout 1.jpg
    Blowout 1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 43

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I don't think you have any side marker lights in your slide do you ?

If not then none of those wires should have anything to do with your lights.

I think you might have 2 completely different problems

Just from what I see

Jerrod

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Flick

One of the consenquences is I've lost my brake/signal lights on the RV (3690 SL Big Country)

Had wires drooping down on my blowout - so I cut them and wirenutted them off, and saved the wires I removed. When I got the blowout replaced and made it to the house - I started trying to figure out where the wires connect up too. Amazingly I cannot find where they go. I initally thought they went to the J Box (in the vicinity) - however the wires in J Box doesn't show any kind of damage, and the wires won't reach that far anyway. I'm attaching some pictures so someone might be able to help. I have contacted the factory (yesterday) but am still waiting their input. Anything anyone might have to help will be appreciated. Thanks!

First question is, what doesn’t work? When my wires tore loose under the driver side slide from the same scenario, I had 110v wires going to fridge on opposite side slide, 110v plugs in the slide, 12v marker lights in driver slide and 12v lights in the slide ceiling and speaker wires in the slide. Took me a whole day to sort them out. It may help when you find out what doesn’t work to go there and see what color wires you need to trace. Just be patient and good luck.

icechex

I don't think you have any side marker lights in your slide do you ?

If not then none of those wires should have anything to do with your lights.

I think you might have 2 completely different problems

Just from what I see

Jerrod

Had blowout around 4 pm - and backing RV into slot at the house (2 hours later) - my wife said - "you know you don't have any tail - lights?" Pretty sure these two things are connected. Thanks for the response.

- - - Updated - - -

First question is, what doesn’t work? When my wires tore loose under the driver side slide from the same scenario, I had 110v wires going to fridge on opposite side slide, 110v plugs in the slide, 12v marker lights in driver slide and 12v lights in the slide ceiling and speaker wires in the slide. Took me a whole day to sort them out. It may help when you find out what doesn’t work to go there and see what color wires you need to trace. Just be patient and good luck.

Hey thanks for the response. The only thing 'not working' are the tail lights. These wires are low voltage. No 110 volt wires here. I'm hoping someone with the same kind of RV I have will read my post and walk outside and look at their RV and see where the wires go. I'm almost sure they go to the J Box but as I said there is no indication of that. I called the factory yesterday but...... I'm not thnking they think too much of my problem. Probally busy making more 'cardboard' RV's, held together with bailiing wire.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Wires for the tail lights should be inside the frame so I think that the lack of tail lights might be coincidental.
Have you checked intside that flex wire chase that I see in your pics?
Have you checked all 12 volt items in that slide? Refrigerator included.
If your tail lights are out are you clearance lights out as well?
Tail lights along with stop/turn out, one side or both?
Just trying to isolate the problem.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

They do have tone tracer electrical testers online and at most Home improvement stores. These put a radio signal on the wire in question, and have a pickup device that can pickup this signal without even touching the wire. You could clip this on the wires at the turn signal lamps to trace out the wires at the break.

icechex

They do have tone tracer electrical testers online and at most Home improvement stores. These put a radio signal on the wire in question, and have a pickup device that can pickup this signal without even touching the wire. You could clip this on the wires at the turn signal lamps to trace out the wires at the break.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I thought of that. Most toners cost $50 and up. I'm still hoping someone who owns a Heartland Big Country 3690 SL will see my post, walk outside and look up under his/her RV and see the wires I'm talking about and let's me know where they go. All I need to do is find a RV like mine - and visually see where the wires go. Simple.....lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Wires for the tail lights should be inside the frame so I think that the lack of tail lights might be coincidental.
Have you checked intside that flex wire chase that I see in your pics?
Have you checked all 12 volt items in that slide? Refrigerator included.
If your tail lights are out are you clearance lights out as well?
Tail lights along with stop/turn out, one side or both?
Just trying to isolate the problem.

Peace
Dave

Hey .. thanks for the reply. Refrigerator is on other side of RV in different slide. Don't believe there are any 12 volt items in this slide. Pretty sure these wires go to the tail lights, cause they (lights) went out right after the blow out. Tail lights out, stop and turn out too. Clearance lights - haven't checked but will.

Flick

All of your lights in that slide are 12V

There should be no lighting wires under that slide.

On my unit, the 12v wires that power the slide ceiling lights are joined on the frame. They then run across and over the wheels to the corner of the slide and up the slide walls.

icechex

All of your lights in that slide are 12V

There should be no lighting wires under that slide.

thanks for the reply

- - - Updated - - -

On my unit, the 12v wires that power the slide ceiling lights are joined on the frame. They then run across and over the wheels to the corner of the slide and up the slide walls.

thanks for the reply - but I have no wires running up the slide. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to locate someone who owns my exact RV.

Called the factory on Tuesday - but no response from them. ​Imagine that?

danemayer

thanks for the reply - but I have no wires running up the slide. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to locate someone who owns my exact RV.

Called the factory on Tuesday - but no response from them. ​Imagine that?

I doubt anyone in customer service will be able to walk you through repairs. They are not service techs.

Asking other owners to look under their trailers for wires is also likely to be unproductive. The wires to tail lights aren't likely to be exposed under the trailer.

If you can't see where the other end of the cut wires are, you may need to call a mobile servicer, or go to a repair shop.

Flick

You will eventually figure this out or someone will give you ideas as you hoped.
One extra comment. You may want to drop the coroplast a bit and peak inside the frame. The other end is probably inside the frame or it pulled out of the loom tubing and you can’t see where that happened. One thing I’ll guarantee. The other end is there somewhere.

wdk450

A cheaper alternative to a signal tone tracer tool would be simple low voltage and a voltmeter or test light. You simply attach alligator clip jumpers to maybe a 9 volt battery, attach one side of the battery to metal chassis ground, attach the other side of the battery to (for instance) one of the wires connecting to the stop/tail light. Then go under the trailer to where the broken wires are, attach your DVM or test light to metal frame ground, and probe around for the wire with voltage on it. Repeat until all the wires are identified, then make your splices.

BTW, here is a link to the cheapest ($18) tone tracer set shipped from the US (short delivery time) I could find on E-Bay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-RJ...993947?hash=item1cf638addb:g:MCMAAOSwP7Re1X3g

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Do you have a Awning on that slide ? Those wire could be the awning wires and light wires for that.
Just another guess

icechex

A cheaper alternative to a signal tone tracer tool would be simple low voltage and a voltmeter or test light. You simply attach alligator clip jumpers to maybe a 9 volt battery, attach one side of the battery to metal chassis ground, attach the other side of the battery to (for instance) one of the wires connecting to the stop/tail light. Then go under the trailer to where the broken wires are, attach your DVM or test light to metal frame ground, and probe around for the wire with voltage on it. Repeat until all the wires are identified, then make your splices.

BTW, here is a link to the cheapest ($18) tone tracer set shipped from the US (short delivery time) I could find on E-Bay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-RJ...993947?hash=item1cf638addb:g:MCMAAOSwP7Re1X3g
GReat idea! I'll get back to you. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have a Awning on that slide ? Those wire could be the awning wires and light wires for that.
Just another guess

yeah but that's not it. Thanks for the reply.

- - - Updated - - -

You will eventually figure this out or someone will give you ideas as you hoped.
One extra comment. You may want to drop the coroplast a bit and peak inside the frame. The other end is probably inside the frame or it pulled out of the loom tubing and you can’t see where that happened. One thing I’ll guarantee. The other end is there somewhere.

yeah... I've been thinking the same thing. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt anyone in customer service will be able to walk you through repairs. They are not service techs.

Asking other owners to look under their trailers for wires is also likely to be unproductive. The wires to tail lights aren't likely to be exposed under the trailer.

If you can't see where the other end of the cut wires are, you may need to call a mobile servicer, or go to a repair shop.

Lol - cust service guy said he was sending the pictures to eng and design a week ago. Nothing. and I'm not surprised. Thanks