Security for pets

Flick

I’m curious if anyone has any ideas or knowledge about an app or security system that could either monitor or allow you to monitor your pets safety if left for a while in our rv’s. I am concerned about an ac or electrical problem, etc. and the harm it could cause.

jmarnell

Since we sometimes leave our dogs in the RV for a while, we use the RV Whisper monitoring system. You need a wifi hotspot for it to work, but it comes with multiple temperature sensors to track indoor air temperature, refrigerator temperature, freezer temperature and outside temperature if you want. You set the temperature limits and it sends an alert to your phone if it gets too warm or cold. It also comes with an electrical system monitor that will alert you if you lose shore power. I've been impressed with it. If you need a camera to see what's going on while your away, a Blink camera from Amazon is a reasonably priced option. The cameras work off batteries and wifi so no wiring required.

Flick

Since we sometimes leave our dogs in the RV for a while, we use the RV Whisper monitoring system. You need a wifi hotspot for it to work, but it comes with multiple temperature sensors to track indoor air temperature, refrigerator temperature, freezer temperature and outside temperature if you want. You set the temperature limits and it sends an alert to your phone if it gets too warm or cold. It also comes with an electrical system monitor that will alert you if you lose shore power. I've been impressed with it. If you need a camera to see what's going on while your away, a Blink camera from Amazon is a reasonably priced option. The cameras work off batteries and wifi so no wiring required.

Thanks. I will check this out. We always carry a hotspot with us.

Lost_my_beer

I hate to come off as too callous, but what would/could you do if you happen to have an AC issue or fire?
Besides, it is very annoying when the rv next to you has the dog that was left alone “for a short time” that wont stop barking. This happens way too often. I go camping to relax.
And yes, I have and bring a dog. I do NOT leave her in the rv while away.
May I suggest not leaving the dog alone? If you have to make a grocery run, bring the dog and leave her in a running truck.
Troy

Flick

I hate to come off as too callous, but what would/could you do if you happen to have an AC issue or fire?
Besides, it is very annoying when the rv next to you has the dog that was left alone “for a short time” that wont stop barking. This happens way too often. I go camping to relax.
May I suggest not leaving the dog alone? If you have to make a grocery run, bring the dog and leave her in a running truck.
Troy

Thank you. In many areas, leaving your pet in a running vehicle is illegal. Our rv is considered our home and trust me, we use good judgement when leaving our pets in either of our homes. Although leaving a barking dog in your rv could be annoying to some, it isn’t illegal unless the rv park has restrictions. Using your barking scenario, no one would be able to own pets because dogs bark in all locations, even in neighborhoods where homes may be stacked on top of each other.
With all the technology available, knowing your pet is safe when going to the grocery store is what I would consider piece of mind.
I’m sure we’ll disagree on the use of technology to monitor pets and your rv in general, but that’s ok. Have a good one and I hope you’re able to relax today.

Gary521

Troy
When you go out to the movie or to get a good steak, do you take your dog with you? Some people live in their RV and just do not go "camping".

Lost_my_beer

Thank you. In many areas, leaving your pet in a running vehicle is illegal. Our rv is considered our home and trust me, we use good judgement when leaving our pets in either of our homes. Although leaving a barking dog in your rv could be annoying to some, it isn’t illegal unless the rv park has restrictions. Using your barking scenario, no one would be able to own pets because dogs bark in all locations, even in neighborhoods where homes may be stacked on top of each other.
With all the technology available, knowing your pet is safe when going to the grocery store is what I would consider piece of mind.
I’m sure we’ll disagree on the use of technology to monitor pets and your rv in general, but that’s ok. Have a good one and I hope you’re able to relax today.

I get that for sure. Last 2 outings we had dogs right next door barking allllll day long. Last one was all night long. Turned out it was a cop that lives there and came home early in the am.
I have heard of it being illegal to leave animals in cars unattended, but never while vehicle is running. Not doubting, just havent come across that yet.
Again, not trying to start chit here, just pointing out the sometimes not so obvious.
Troy

- - - Updated - - -

When you go out to the movie or to get a good steak, do you take your dog with you? Some people live in their RV and just do not go "camping".

I go out to the movies or to get a good steak while at home with my dog in my house where she doesnt bark and disturb anyone. Or many times look for a dog friendly place and bring her along.
I guess my opinion, however warped as it may be, is if one cannot take care of their pets without being selfish, maybe one should reconsider having pets. I went without pets for many years in the early stages of my career as I traveled a ridiculous amount of time.
Dogs barking in a house is one thing. Thicker walls, better insulation, further spaced usually. A dog barking all day in a trailer is very annoying. For me AND the dog obviously.
Most places I have been do have dog barking restrictions. Enforced? Doubt it.
Again, not a personal attack. Unless you are the guy that leaves the dogs alone all day knowing they hate it and bark all day!
Troy

Flick

Jmarnell, thank you very much for your suggestion on the RV Whisper monitoring system. I spent a while today looking at the different options they have to offer in their catalogue and I will put together a system that fits our needs and make our companion pet, Cooper, much safer when we travel. We live on a farm and all our animals are our pride and joy. When we used to do offshore boating, even when we knew seas would be tough to handle with large swells, we always had our lab BG, which stood for Big Guy, with us. So pets are our life. Thanks again.

cableman

We have an extra camera from our home. Also bought a cheap thermometer and kept and old phone to use as a hotspot. I think the phone is ten bucks a month to have on our account. We point the camera at the dogs on the couch and put the thermometer in the corner of the view. We check the camera periodically to make sure everything is good.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I use a few Blink cameras to keep tabs on our cat and they also monitor the temp. You can set alerts to notify you when the temp gets too high.

I also use Simplisafe, (monitored) which will alert me if the power goes out, and does also have a “freeze sensor” which keeps tabs on the temp and alerts me if the temp reaches 40 degrees, but has to be checked manually for other temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Since we already use Nest stuff at the house I added a nest smoke detector and camera to the RV.

The camera needs a connection, so either a hot spot or campground wifi. So we can see the dog/s and I have notices setup that if they were to bark, I would get a text.
Within view of the camera are two small red LED's wired to the main 50 amp breaker in the panel.

If we have power, the LED's are lit