Dish HELP

Grey Ghost

We presently have Dish in our old rig with one inside TV and we have a playmaker antenna and use the Wally inside. Our new rig has two TV's and my question is: What do I need equipment wise to allow my wife to watch her shows on the tv in the bedroom while I'm watching football or a movie in the living room? Is this even possible?

Flick

We presently have Dish in our old rig with one inside TV and we have a playmaker antenna and use the Wally inside. Our new rig has two TV's and my question is: What do I need equipment wise to allow my wife to watch her shows on the tv in the bedroom while I'm watching football or a movie in the living room? Is this even possible?

I will give you the CliffsNotes version to answer your questions and then perhaps someone will give you details on what they’ve done to make it work.
First, to allow dual channels at the same time, your Playmaker has to have dual output. You then have to have two coax cables entering your rig. Also you will need a second Wally which will get feed from the secondary coax. Even if you have a dual output satellite, both TVs have to be pulling from the same satellite. For us, that’s sometimes a problem.
Now you could use a splitter and split the hdmi to the second tv, but the program will be the same on both TVs.
We’re big fans of watching different channels as you’re asking about, so for extended stay periods we have two satellites.

greatheron

MD Chapter Member
We have the Winegard Pathway X2 antenna with the main TV on a Wally. Took a while to figure out things and zero in when we set up, but works pretty well. Upstairs we bought the VIP 211z but have never hooked it up.

We have never been able to hook the Pathway X2 into the docking station satellite hook up. Through our research and reading of past posts, the wiring used at the factory is not of a high enough quality and signal strength is not strong enough to travel through the many feet of pre-wired cable in the trailer.

We run the Pathway through a window, but works well on the main TV. Upstairs we settled for over the air or dvd's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danemayer

With 1 receiver, you can only watch 1 program at a time.

If you purchase a 2nd receiver, you may be able to get both working from the Playmaker using a splitter, but as the Playmaker spec says 1 receiver only, there could be reasons why that wouldn't work.

If you do get 2 receivers working with the Playmaker, as mentioned earlier, both channels (programs) must originate from the same satellite. That is not always going to be the case.

esscobra

if you have the playmaker dual - you can have two receivers - 1 on each tv- however as stated - the channels on second are limited to the channels on the same sat as the 1st ( primary ) receiver is on-

before my bighorn - i had a portable unit - which powered 2 reveivers- but many times the same sat/channel issue negated the advertised 2 tv setup advertised - after a couple years bought another of the smaller portable unts and mounted on roof to solve issue - and ordered the winegard roof unit on black friday even before my bighorn arrived - and all problems solved - runs 3 tvs now and any sat./channel on any tv- sold one of portables with trailer and kept the smaller one for 2 years as backup in case of failure/blockage but sold it to friend/newbie as in nearly 4 years never had reception issues

porthole

Retired
if you have the playmaker dual - you can have two receivers - 1 on each tv- however as stated - the channels on second are limited to the channels on the same sat as the 1st ( primary ) receiver is on-

before my bighorn - i had a portable unit - which powered 2 reveivers- but many times the same sat/channel issue negated the advertised 2 tv setup advertised - after a couple years bought another of the smaller portable unts and mounted on roof to solve issue - and ordered the winegard roof unit on black friday even before my bighorn arrived - and all problems solved - runs 3 tvs now and any sat./channel on any tv- sold one of portables with trailer and kept the smaller one for 2 years as backup in case of failure/blockage but sold it to friend/newbie as in nearly 4 years never had reception issues

Which satellites are you using with the rooftop?

Winegard told me if I swap my DTV parts out for the Dish parts I would only be able to view the 61 degree satellite (we use eastern arc) and I would have to manually tune it at that.

carl.swoyer

Winegard told me if I swap my DTV parts out for the Dish parts I would only be able to view the 61 degree satellite (we use eastern arc) and I would have to manually tune it at that.
Several years ago dish went with different satilites and many had to upgrade their equipment. Direct TV is planning on the same. So equipment you buy today may not be compatible later on. I cancelled direct TV and use out of air

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We have DISH service with a King Quest dual output. As others have said, we can’t get adequate quality going through the trailer’s internal satellite wiring, so we bring one cable into the RV through a living area window, and a second cable through a bedroom window. There are flat cable adapters that allow you to do this and still shut the window. We operate off satellites 110, 119, and 129. We have been all over the US and had no problem finding these in the sky. I use an app on my iPhone called SAToolzDish to locate the satellites. We have two VIP211z receivers and watch separate channels on the TVs often. We do have to have the Living area receiver turned on to use the bedroom receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

esscobra

currently using the travlr - it auto finds and have not gone into settings - but pretty sure here in texas its the 110-119-129 - thats what old portables always were on and what i am using at home in san antonio- i can say that it was the best investment i have made and beats the portables hands down- - when i arrive and get power on - i turn on controller and by time i have water and all other stuff setup i can sit down and watch tv to relax for a bit and not worry about moving dish or it wandering off somewhere

porthole

Retired
currently using the travlr - it auto finds and have not gone into settings - but pretty sure here in texas its the 110-119-129 - thats what old portables always were on and what i am using at home in san antonio- i can say that it was the best investment i have made and beats the portables hands down- - when i arrive and get power on - i turn on controller and by time i have water and all other stuff setup i can sit down and watch tv to relax for a bit and not worry about moving dish or it wandering off somewhere

We are in the NE, so 62 and 71 are the predominate SATs. Those two are the non auto locate birds

Last edited:

wdk450

I have the Dish VIP722 dual tuner receiver, and use a self aimed tripod antenna with a Dish 1000.2 antenna. My system is set up to do exactly what you want to do with 1 cable out to the antenna dish, and diplexers at the antenna input in the UDC and at the receiver. I have 1 main TV in the living room, and 1 smaller TV in the bedroom. This was set up when my wife was still alive so that we could watch different programming simultaneously. This setup in the trailer mirrors that installed by Dish network in my house when I still had that.