F350 - No Lockup

pharmafrog

I posted this before and it has been a while since I was able to work on this problem. Just a brief history to get you all up to speed.

I have a HL 4100 King being pulled by a 2014 F350 Dually. I have my gain set at 10 and can not get lock up when test firing it on flat ground.

I am going through brakes at a speed that is unrecordable with existing technology.

I have climbed under and adjusted all six brakes on the trailer, and still cannot get it to lock up. Where next?

I have stood on the brakes and my wife can hear the hum from them engaging, but it is not enough.

It looks like it has to be a connection or the integrated Brake Controller on this truck. What is my next troubleshooting step? I am mechanical, so I can get at what needs testing, just need a path.

Thanks all.

Lost_my_beer

When u manually override by squeezing the levers together, does it stop? Is it an oem Ford brake controller? Maybe new pads are needed. I assume you are setting it at 10 to test and not normally at 10...that would use a bunch more brakes on your trailer than usual.
Troy

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I think that if your wife can hear the magnets buzzing your brake controller is sending a signal.
Have you inspected the brakes for possible grease on the shoes?

Peace
Dave

Flick

I posted this before and it has been a while since I was able to work on this problem. Just a brief history to get you all up to speed.

I have a HL 4100 King being pulled by a 2014 F350 Dually. I have my gain set at 10 and can not get lock up when test firing it on flat ground.

I am going through brakes at a speed that is unrecordable with existing technology.

I have climbed under and adjusted all six brakes on the trailer, and still cannot get it to lock up. Where next?

I have stood on the brakes and my wife can hear the hum from them engaging, but it is not enough.

It looks like it has to be a connection or the integrated Brake Controller on this truck. What is my next troubleshooting step? I am mechanical, so I can get at what needs testing, just need a path.

Thanks all.

As a starting point, try spinning one trailer wheel at a time while someone applies the brakes. If that wheel doesn’t lock up where you can’t spin it by hand, figure out why and go to the next wheel. If after you check all wheels, it may give you some ideas.

CDN

B and B
Hello,

I have a 2016 F 350 OEM brake controller. The paddle will lock the brakes below 20 mph. Set gain at 9. I find the the variable in my case is road surface. I run 9 and Max Effort in DIC. My Landmark weighs 16,000 loaded for travel.

I use exhaust brake and run 2 lane highways 90 % of the time finding I don't have any issues at all.

Brian

danemayer

Thanks all.

Assuming a good charge on the trailer battery, pull the emergency breakaway to engage the trailer brakes independently of the truck. But be sure to plug it back in within a minute or two so you don't overheat the brakes.

If while the breakaway circuit is engaged, the trailer brakes lock up while trying to pull, the problem is in the truck. If the trailer brakes don't lock up, the problem is with the trailer brakes. 1st thing to check is for grease contamination.

Be sure to plug the breakaway back into the switch to disengage the brakes.

Lost_my_beer

Hello,

I have a 2016 F 350 OEM brake controller. The paddle will lock the brakes below 20 mph. Set gain at 9. I find the the variable in my case is road surface. I run 9 and Max Effort in DIC. My Landmark weighs 16,000 loaded for travel.

I use exhaust brake and run 2 lane highways 90 % of the time finding I don't have any issues at all.

Brian

Dayum. I would think 9 or 10 is waaaay too much brake. I use 6 on my 20k (weighed) trailer and it works great. In fact I have had a panic stop and was relieved to see that it stopped great.
Troy

I agree with Jon Holbert, put disc brakes on it.
I had the same issues with this Bighorn and my last coach, a Big Country.
Disc Brakes solve the problem, and give you back your piece of mind.
It’s actually a pleasure to tow, knowing you can stop.

Hockster

NYSUPstater

Being a tri axle, where does the brake go to first? Once you know that, start there and go from there. If I remember correctly, the LF brake is #1 and the rest are "piggy backed" off of that.

Flick

Try hooking a different truck to your trailer to see what response you get. It could prove it’s not the trailer at all. Or perhaps, it could prove it is.