Slide out awning

Jgolliher

Good evening,

We just took our first trip in our 5th wheel and noticed we don’t have slide out awnings. My question is, have you all ever installed these? And if so, how difficult was it? I want to do it myself and am just trying to figure it out before I go drilling holes all over this thing. Thanks in advance.

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sengli

Are you talking about slide toppers for the individual slides? If so these are not a one man install by any means. Check out you tube for a lot of videos on that subject.

Be careful where you drill and and attach due to the fact there isnt a lot of "meat" to drill and screw into.

jbeletti

Slide Topper Awnings can be installed after the fact. It can be a DIY project with a helper. You will want to study up on it first (YouTube videos, pictures of existing installs etc.).

A&E by Dometic is probably the most popular, followed these days by Solera by LCI, then Carefree of Colorado.

Look for installation specials at Camping World as well.

Jgolliher

Awesome, thanks for the tips. I’m thinking I could do this with a buddy as well.

danemayer

Definitely 2 people. Also 2 ladders. And the rollers are spring operated, so care is required when they're wound up. If one end unwinds unexpectedly, the bracket can whip around and smack your wrist really hard.

jbeletti

Dan makes a great point on safety. I helped friends replace a patio awning once. After winding the awning up the specified number of turns for desired tension, we used a metal food skewer to pin the awning tub in place. It was a Dometic A&E unit and had a slot that we used for the skewer. Be careful!

Jgolliher

Ok, thank you for the pointers. I’m looking to avoid the wrist slaps and springs goin crazy on me!