Considering 2019 T322 - With Roof 'issue'

rv123

We went to look at a 2019 T322 Toy Hauler today. I has been sitting unused for over a year. We noticed at the top of the very back above the ramp door on both sides, the black trim of the roof molding was lifted up away from the roof. It does appear to have some insulation foam attached but we aren't sure if it actually pulled the roof up and we didn't want to damage the sellers roof by pulling on it. Upon further inspection a rubber gasket running down the door looks like is shrunk up and pulled away from the door. Upon inspecting the roof, it looks great other than this back area. We could not see nor feel any water damage inside. Is this a known problem and easy fix or do we need to walk away from this nightmare now! Help before we make a big mistake!! I just joined so it won't let me post pictures.
Thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Since that is a 2019 model it was most likely built in 2018 so it likely sat on the dealers lot for two years. That's two years with no maintenance.
If you're seeing insulation there's a good chance water has made its way in.
I'll set your permissions to allow posting pics in just a few minutes.
It would be good to see what your looking at.

Peace
Dave

rv123

(UPDATE: photos attached now) We went to look at a 2019 T322 Toy Hauler today. I has been sitting unused for over a year. We noticed at the top of the very back above the ramp door on both sides, the black trim of the roof molding was lifted up away from the roof. It does appear to have some insulation foam attached but we aren't sure if it actually pulled the roof up and we didn't want to damage the sellers roof by pulling on it. Upon further inspection a rubber gasket running down the door looks like is shrunk up and pulled away from the door. Upon inspecting the roof, it looks great other than this back area. We could not see nor feel any water damage inside. Is this a known problem and easy fix or do we need to walk away from this nightmare now! Help before we make a big mistake!! I just joined so it won't let me post pictures.
Thanks

20201101_013640.jpg99367.jpeg20201101_015133.jpg

carl.swoyer

We went to look at a 2019 T322 Toy Hauler today. I has been sitting unused for over a year. We noticed at the top of the very back above the ramp door on both sides, the black trim of the roof molding was lifted up away from the roof. It does appear to have some insulation foam attached but we aren't sure if it actually pulled the roof up and we didn't want to damage the sellers roof by pulling on it. Upon further inspection a rubber gasket running down the door looks like is shrunk up and pulled away from the door. Upon inspecting the roof, it looks great other than this back area. We could not see nor feel any water damage inside. Is this a known problem and easy fix or do we need to walk away from this nightmare now! Help before we make a big mistake!! I just joined so it won't let me post pictures.
Thanks
Picture 1 shows no visible signs of water intrusion
Picture 2 evidence of water intrusion
Picture 3 $7500.00 New roof with lifetime transferable warranty against leaks.
My point is that it's not always easy to troubleshoot the water leak. My laundry basket collected the water and sent me on my new roof venture.
Had I not seen the water in my laundry basket I'd still be leaking.
A moisture meter is what helped me with my diagnosis.
Your pictures are in my opinion a water leaking issue with some rotten wood.
170 dollars per foot of roofing plus plywood replacement.
a61e69b6d429438a448f9d160a10d34b.jpg
07f7f534cad4e555948bdf03071f27fd.jpg
a6a38992192a29059395de628afa5ece.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

danemayer

I think you'd have to assume it's been that way for a while and there's been water intrusion, not necessarily just in the roof. So there's likely a lot of hidden damage that hasn't been assessed. Given that most of the repair cost is likely to be labor, and labor rates are quite high, without a good repair estimate, you really don't know what to pay for the RV.

If this is a new, never sold RV at a dealership, you might be able to make a deal where you get a good price for a fully repaired and warranted trailer, assuming they're willing to do the repair work. But you'd need to see inside the areas where water has likely intruded to know that the repairs weren't just superficial.

While a new, never sold RV at a dealership would carry a warranty from Heartland, the factory would not warrant any consequential damage from this situation. It would all fall to the dealer. You'd have to have a very clearly written warranty from the dealer.

In any case, it would be a significant risk.

Flick

Thanks

You mention a seller, so I’m assuming it’s an individual. I’d agree to a reputable repair being made by a company that will warrant the roof and possible wall damage on the sellers dime and if the seller doesn’t agree to that, I’d burn rubber leaving his drive. Lol.