Level up winter storage

bigdob24

How do you all store your RVs for the winter? Level up legs up or down?
I usually wipe the rams and leave them down , just curious .
BD

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You can storr your RV anyway you want. Legs up, legs down. It don't matter.

Peace
Dave

PALTeam

Past Indiana Chapter Leaders
I like to keep any hydraulic ram closed up when not in use so the piston rod is not exposed to the elements. I also like to keep the rods lubed with silicon, makes them slide up and down easier and protects them when they are extended.

This was my 'common sense' approach (not an expert opinion!), but your question got me to wondering, so I researched the interweb; most common thing I saw was "keep stored cylinders fully retracted".

I'd be interested in other evidence.

Lyle

bigdob24

Thanks for the input.
‘I believe I will clean the rams and retract them for the winter.
‘BD

brianlajoie

We get a lot of wind here in the Denver area. I lower the legs to provide additional stability during the winter. It is also a poor mans security system as I leave the legs down and yank the batteries (I also use a pin lock). First thing I do when I return in the spring is silicon the legs real well using a downward stroke to keep any debris away from the seals.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know why the rear legs can't be left extended for storage.
The front landing gear legs are extended.

Peace
Dave

PALTeam

Past Indiana Chapter Leaders
We get a lot of wind here in the Denver area. I lower the legs to provide additional stability during the winter. It is also a poor mans security system as I leave the legs down and yank the batteries (I also use a pin lock). First thing I do when I return in the spring is silicon the legs real well using a downward stroke to keep any debris away from the seals.

Good point!

- - - Updated - - -

Peace
Dave

My storage spot is lower in the back, so I can retract the front legs almost all the way.

So, it looks like it comes down to 1) what are your needs (stability in high winds) and 2) what is your preference?

Thanks all!

Dahillbilly

Peace
Dave
Dave this far north in Wi. the ground heaves quite a bit so one has to be carefull leaving them extended. I'm up close to Lake Superior in the snow belt.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I understand the heaving but the hydraulic legs are self equalizing so it shouldn't matter. At least to me it wouldn't matter.
What ever anyone is comfortable with will work.

Peace
Dave

CDN

B and B
My front legs are fully retracted fir winter storage. I have blocks high enough to allow them to be this way. Less chance of issues in my case.

jnbhobe

Mine are all down, rig is plugged in and it's inside with the heat on, set at 55*

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk