Black Tank Valve Leaking

aanorm69

We have a 2011 Bighorn 3071RL and the black tank valve is leaking about 3-4 drops per minute. Two questions: 1) Is there anything I can do to stop the leak without pulling and rebuilding the valve? 2) If not and I do have to pull it, where is the valve located? Do I have to drop the corrugated plastic liner on the belly of the rig? Thanks in advance for y'alls help. Norman

wdk450

I looked up this You Tube video which seems pretty much applicable to most 5th wheels, although the exact setup of your valves might be a little different:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhWtTUURPN0&ab_channel=JonesN2Travel

I have to do the same job too sometime in the near future. The add-on final Valterra valve is something every RV owner should have for that probable eventuality that one of the tank valves is going to leak. Otherwise you will be unpleasantly surprised some day when you remove the outside cap for dumping and get a 3 inch pipe full of nasty liquid from the leaking valve to the outlet, gushing out.

BTW, I find a You Tube search for many RV repair jobs to be a great resource.

Oregon_Camper

Mine leaked for a while too. I simply added a OEM valve on the outside connection and now I have an absolute seal...NO drips ever.

I think my black tank valve issue fixed itself over time as I test it every now and then, with this after market valve open and nothing is coming out now. I like having this valve installed as piece of mind, that I will never get that surprise SPLASH when I remove the outer cap.

Here is the link to the valve . Take about 30 seconds to install. :cool:

https://www.valterra.com/product/twist-on-waste-valve-boxed/

Last edited:

aanorm69

Thanks for the replies. The Youtube video shows just what I expect to encounter. And I'm definitely going to et me a Valterra. I've already been surprised once the first time I realized the valve was leaking. Fortunately the black tank hadn't been used since the last dump and flush so it wasn't too bad. Now I just have to do it.