Water in Fuel Light ('06 F250 6.0L)

Hello All,
My tow truck is a 2006, f250 6.0 Power Diesel. Got the "Water in Fuel" light this morning and followed instructions I found on-line and in the manual. I drained the frame mounted fuel filter housing, but the light came back on. I've now drained it 4 times and swabbed through the drain hole with q-tips as best I could, but still the light comes on after running about 4 minutes (running fine). We have a week before towing again, so I probably could get it in somewhere, but hoping not to go that route. Any ideas? The fuel now coming out of the housing has no water in it and little sediment. I'm thinking some additive to dry the fuel and hope I just got some bad fuel last fill up. Help. Thanks!
Bobbie

david-steph2018

Re: Water in Fuel Light

Put it on scanner and make sure there are not any other engine codes. I have taken my autos to AutoZone and they have been able to help out.

NYSUPstater

When did you get fuel last and where? My guess is that you picked up a good chunk of water upon last fill up. If you DO have a lot of water in tank, don't think any amount of fuel additives will over come it so may just end up having to get it (fuel tank) drained and start w/ new fuel. The WIF sensor is normally pretty reliable overall.

dewwood

Maybe I missed it but did you change your fuel filter? Anytime you get water in your fuel you should change the filter maybe more than once if needed.

Maybe I missed it but did you change your fuel filter? Anytime you get water in your fuel you should change the filter maybe more than once if needed.

Didn't do that, but I do have a filter and will probably do it today. There is about a half of a tank in there now, wondering if I could just drive it out then refill....

I changed the filter, drained the housing a few more times, and still no luck, in fact the truck started running a bit rough. I decided to defer the problem to a higher power---the local Ford dealer:D.

cds1

My Ford did the same thing, the sensor on the bottom of the filter housing was corroded. The part was around $35 from Ford but that has been a while. It did fix the problem. Friend had the same problem, he has replaced two so far.

The sensor just snaps in the housing, I would have a part on stand by before you take it out. You don't have to take the housing apart to replace in case you are pressed for time. If you have the time, would be a good idea to clean it good. Diesel Tech Ron on youtube has a good video.

I found a local shop that could get to it right away, I'm hoping for it to be a sensor--I'll let y'all know how it goes. Thanks for the replies and advice.
B

I put a half a litre of Methyl Hydrate in on two separate fills. Cleared it right up. It's known for getting rid of water in fuels. It's inexpensive too!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Menthol Hydrate known as, among other names, methanol or in the automotive world it's Heet.

Peace
Dave

Hey All,

Got the truck back yesterday from the local shop I took it to (Raven Diesel Performance, Las Cruces, NM); it was the sensor and wasn't an expensive fix---well by diesel repair standards anyway. So from looking at 3 weeks out and changing all of our Christmas plans to truck fixed and no delay in 2 days, so glad I decided to keep calling shops after dropping it at the Ford dealer!

I may start running a water drying agent, at least once in a while and definitely putting the HMFC case drain on the maintenance schedule.

Cheers,
Bobbie

wdk450

Hey All,

Got the truck back yesterday from the local shop I took it to (Raven Diesel Performance, Las Cruces, NM); it was the sensor and wasn't an expensive fix---well by diesel repair standards anyway. So from looking at 3 weeks out and changing all of our Christmas plans to truck fixed and no delay in 2 days, so glad I decided to keep calling shops after dropping it at the Ford dealer!

I may start running a water drying agent, at least once in a while and definitely putting the HMFC case drain on the maintenance schedule.

Cheers,
Bobbie

I have been using this diesel fuel additive for about 9 years now now. My independent diesel pickup shop in Orangevale, Ca. (Sacramento area) recommended it back then with an amazing story about the shop owner's own truck. My 5.9 Ram now has 215,000 miles on it with no injector replacements, no smoke, no starting problems. You only use 1 ounce per tankful, so the $8 16 ounce bottle goes a long way. I order 6 at a time to get the price break and reduce shipping charges. To those of you that say that 1 ounce in a tankfull of fuel can't do anything, why would a manufacturer tell you to use less of their product they are selling???
https://www.xtremediesel.com/xdp-diesel-power-plus-fuel-additive-xtremedieselcom

Last edited:

david-steph2018

Hey All,

Cheers,
Bobbie
Glad it was a quick repair for you.

I have been using this diesel fuel additive for about 9 years now now. My independent diesel pickup shop in Orangevale, Ca. (Sacramento area) recommended it back then with an amazing story about the shop owner's own truck. My 5.9 Ram now has 215,000 miles on it with no injector replacements, no smoke, no starting problems. You only use 1 ounce per tankful, so the $8 16 ounce bottle goes a long way. I order 6 at a time to get the price break and reduce shipping charges. To those of you that say that 1 ounce in a tankfull of fuel can't do anything, why would a manufacturer tell you to use less of their product they are selling???
https://www.xtremediesel.com/xdp-diesel-power-plus-fuel-additive-xtremedieselcom

Just took a quick look, may order some. I installed their coolant filter when I bought the truck. Thanks for the recommendation.
B