Tire Change Procedure

Galluta

I recently purchased a 2018 Bighorn 3160 El. I'm trying to figure things out a bit and I have come to realize there is no jack or tire iron to change a flat tire. No procedure in any manual I can find. So here are my questions. Can I use the 6 point leveling system to lift one side of the trailer off the ground without damaging the system? Is there a published procedure for lowering the spare and or changing the tire? Any other ideas to safely manage this process?

danemayer

I use the levelup to get the tire off. It's helpful to have boards to place under the jacks so they don't have to extend fully to get the coach lifted. I'd suggest 4-6". With 6 point levelup, I think you'll need boards under both middle and rear jacks and perhaps the front as well.

SLO

I use the level up to repack wheel bearings as well. I lift it up with level up and use jack stands while still attached to truck. This way I can rotate tires too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Galluta

Thanks Jim for your quick response. So Heartland doesn't provide a lug wrench either I take it. You wouldn't think the DOT would be OK with that.

Piperflyer

If you don't want to use the level-up jacks you can buy a 10 ton bottle jack to lift the axle. Just be careful you do it so the jack will not slip

Flick

Thanks Jim for your quick response. So Heartland doesn't provide a lug wrench either I take it. You wouldn't think the DOT would be OK with that.

Even if they provided the so called lug wrench, it’s a 50/50 chance that you couldn’t break loose or get tight the lugs on wheels, for example, of a Cyclone or one of its cousins. You really need a good set of sockets and a good breakdown handle with a cheater.
The bottle jack is a good idea but it helps to drive the other wheel or wheels on a board as I think was already mentioned.

jbeletti

My sense is that if the RV was motorized, then it would be a requirement. A lot of us carry a 1/2" Cordless Impact Wrench with a variety of impact-rated sockets and extensions. Makes changing a tire a lot easier.

TXgearhead

My sense is that if the RV was motorized, then it would be a requirement. A lot of us carry a 1/2" Cordless Impact Wrench with a variety of impact-rated sockets and extensions. Makes changing a tire a lot easier.
^^This. Dewalt has a high strength one. I have a "regular" strength 1/2" Dewalt that worked the one time I needed it.
Regarding the level up. I used it on the side of the road in Nowhere New Mexico. I tried to use it the next day in Discount Tire parking lot in ABQ. No bueno. Level up said the coach was too far off level. It was in a rain water run-off valley.
Just be prepared. An impact with spare battery and charger. May as well get a recip saw as well to saw the steel belts off the under body. Have a couple 2x8 for use under the 6? ton bottle jack.

mlpeloquin

If you don't want to use the level-up jacks you can buy a 10 ton bottle jack to lift the axle. Just be careful you do it so the jack will not slip

If you use a bottle jack, you need to place that bottle jack under the leaf spring attachment. If the bottle jack is directly on the axle, it will bend it. You may not notice it, but over time your alignment will be off and tread pattern will show you. The axles are softer than you think. A truck/trailer alignment shop will pull/push and set the trailer down on the axle in the proper spot to realign it. It is lazer/computer controlled. I have watched it done on my Big Horn twice. Mine bent after going cross country each time do to the roads. I preference putting blocking under the I-beams for support for safety. Made them out of 6x6's and 4x4's.

You should also have a proper torque wrench for the lugs as well.

TXgearhead

I will add what I learned during my recent blowout. It will take forever for a roadside service to get to you. While I was standing around waiting I got started on the process. I jacked up the 5th and took the flat tire off. Then I started on removing the spare off the underbody carrier. I had lubed up the carrier so no issue with that. But I will say getting the tire off the carrier was a challenge. That 17.5" all steel belted 16ply tire is heavy. Mine was on a solid steel wheel so that made it worse. The road service arrived and they mounted the spare on. I have a steel pipe that I will carry in the future to help pry the spare off the carrier.

Galluta

Thanks to all that responded to my post. The suggestions were very nourishing. Didnt realize it was such an arduous process. Very glad I reached out. If there are other nuances to know about bighorns, please feel free to pass them along. Again, much appreciated.

CoveredWagon

If you use a bottle jack, you need to place that bottle jack under the leaf spring attachment. If the bottle jack is directly on the axle, it will bend it. You may not notice it, but over time your alignment will be off and tread pattern will show you. The axles are softer than you think. A truck/trailer alignment shop will pull/push and set the trailer down on the axle in the proper spot to realign it. It is lazer/computer controlled. I have watched it done on my Big Horn twice. Mine bent after going cross country each time do to the roads. I preference putting blocking under the I-beams for support for safety. Made them out of 6x6's and 4x4's.

You should also have a proper torque wrench for the lugs as well.

Bingo. UNDER the SPRING, not under the axle !!!

TXgearhead

All the above is true. I will add that the axles when correctly aligned will have some vertical curvature.
So don't go trying to re-align them yourself with 2x4 and a jack!!

Oregon_Camper

Assuming the RV is still attached to your truck, just toss some wood blocks under the "good" tire and drive up on them...presto! The other tire is off the ground and ready to be changed.

BTW...I used the leveling jacks to change my flat, but the wood blocks work too. I used blocks on RV's I had before the Bighorn that didn't have hydraulic jacks.

TXgearhead

I've got a TrailerAid+ but have only used it for maintenance in my driveway. Usually had to put a 2x8 under it for enough height.

wdk450

I am pre-level-up so I carry a bottle jack, jackstands, a breaker bar and sockets, wood cribbing, and a 3/4 inch torque wrench. I also have a 12 volt impact driver set in the truck. I also have some piping in the storage area I can use as a "torque amplifier" for the breaker bar or jack handle.

RVFun4Us

Going to take my Big Horn into a tire shop soon and I want to tell them exactly where to position their jack when lifting the rig. I know the axle is a no-go. So where is a good place - the I beam? Also, I was having trouble getting the knob on the spare tire mount to go back in to the hole after removing it. Not a very good design, have to get the carrier in exactly the right spot for the knob to take hold. So I made a change and inserted a bolt with the same diameter and thread pattern in from the bottom. It was much easier to insert and take hold. I put a flat washer, lock washer, and nut on to the top of the slide mount. Figured it would be less corrosive on the top instead of the bottom. Also put white lithium grease on all threads to help out the process.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If your gonna have them jack it be sure the jack is centered on the I-beam.
Why not just use your Level up?
And don't forget to have them hand torque the lug nuts.

Peace
Dave

RVFun4Us

If your gonna have them jack it be sure the jack is centered on the I-beam.
Why not just use your Level up?
And don't forget to have them hand torque the lug nuts.

Peace
Dave

I know tire shops have their own protocol when performing tire changes. I can certainly ask them if I can use the level up system but they also might not want to do that and instead just use their floor jacks. Will see what they say. Level-up when on the road and having to change a tire is certainly a good option though.