Anyone ever tried a wood stove?

danemayer

I've seen a small RV heated with a wood stove in the Colorado mountains - not a Heartland. I think the chimney pipe went through his roof.

Keep in mind that your trailer is made of materials that can catch fire easily and burn very quickly.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, it sounds interesting but I can think of a few reasons I would not heat with wood.
My concerns would that it could be a tripping hazard in an already small living space, the use of foam and plastics and other combustible items used in our campers, potential burn holes in the EPDM roof and plenty messy for full time use not to mention constant monitoring wood load in the burn chamber.
And don't forget clean out of ash and chimney creasote.
I don't know a lot about wood for the source of heat but I have used it for heating my house, ice shack, hunting shack and tent.
The Nomad does sound pretty nice though and a source of free wood is always good.

Peace
Dave

ILH

My two thoughts on this would be... 1) I've seen RVs catch fire - they burn quickly and completely with very little margin for escape. 2) most of the wood stoves I've encountered give off some heat - the limited space in the RV would be difficult to manage temperatures. Just my thoughts - could be totally wrong.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I would think that your insurance company would object to you using wood to heat your trailer.

CDN

B and B
This a great idea to heat with Wood! Use liquid of glycol loop and old school rads, Outdoor wood fired boiler. This will work great as the loop can return along the sewer pipe and under belly. There are diesel powered variants for Renegade Super C Motorhomes.