Is this normal?

jrthomas

We got a new 2021 Milestone 386BH and have a few startup issues. In discussions with the service manager I had cause to remove the back wall of the basement to look at the heating ductwork. This is what I found.

Milestone 386BH-1.jpgMilestone 386BH-2.jpgMilestone 386BH-3.jpgMilestone 386BH-4.jpg

I've never seen sloppier work. Is this typical of Heartland? Anybody else seen this?

Thanks!

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Better fix that drain that has come apart before it leaks into your basement.

As far as the wiring, yes that come to see that with most manufacturers. That’s why they put up a wall.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We got a new 2021 Milestone 386BH and have a few startup issues. In discussions with the service manager I had cause to remove the back wall of the basement to look at the heating ductwork. This is what I found.

View attachment 64973View attachment 64972View attachment 64971View attachment 64970

I've never seen sloppier work. Is this typical of Heartland? Anybody else seen this?

Thanks!

There was a reason I labelled mine the “Basement o’ Doom.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• Basement o' Doom.jpg
    Basement o' Doom.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

rhodies1

Absolutely normal. They are in such a hurry when building. This is what you get behind the wall....out of sight is out of mind. Have you found any tools yet. I found a utility knife,,,. Box of screws and many extra wire connectors.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Might add, initially that bedroom heat duct drooped to the floor behind the wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dahillbilly

yep kinda normal; I know next spring gonna remove the basement wall and clean up some of the mess the factory left

sengli

It is very normal, no matter who makes the RV. I have had three new fifth wheels and everyone of them looked like that, and more behind the basement partitions. I usually take a summer break from using the RV and "clean up" what I dont like. Move and re-plumb water lines...fix hanging wires...check all connections and drains for any issues. That way I know where everything is routed and makes feel more confident if there is an issue I know where to look for it. Plus I found about two pounds of extra screws, lots of wire nuts.

CDN

B and B
I was able to gain a lot of room in my basement. I have over 4,000 lb of cargo carrying. Might as well add extra space. Close to 40 sq feet of extra floor space added.

After then Before

IMG_4960.JPGIMG_4962.JPGIMG_4926.JPGfullsizeoutput_c92.jpg

CDN

B and B
Why is the TV remove laying there in the forth picture?

I call it the dungeon on our 2017 BH3575.

I changed the batteries so I could test the TV while doing the install, I installed wireless HDMI systems. FTR This was March of 2019 and was snowing outside.

farfromdunn

Well done. I just bought a Milestone 377MB as a first time RV owner and found exactly the same mess behind my wall, even some screws and wire connectors as others have said. Planning on sprucing it up this weekend. Any tips on new wall placement before I get started? If you had to add new partition sections, what thickness plywood/OSB did you use?

Also, mine didn't come with a roof ladder, and the shady dealer said that was normal on this model. They wouldn't let me get on the roof to inspect the vent seals because I would have needed to use one of their ladders and they said that it was a liability issue. I was prepared with my own ladder and a tube of dicor as soon as I got off the lot. Thankfully they all looked great and didn't need any touching up. Is the part about the missing ladder correct, or was I correct in feeling that he was trying to rush me off the lot vs addressing issues? -Matt

danemayer

Also, mine didn't come with a roof ladder, and the shady dealer said that was normal on this model.

Hi farfromdunn,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

There are some models that don't come with a ladder. The 377MB picture on the Heartland website shows a rear view without a ladder, so maybe your dealer was correct.

david-steph2018

Well done. I just bought a Milestone 377MB as a first time RV owner and found exactly the same mess behind my wall, even some screws and wire connectors as others have said. Planning on sprucing it up this weekend. Any tips on new wall placement before I get started? If you had to add new partition sections, what thickness plywood/OSB did you use?

Also, mine didn't come with a roof ladder, and the shady dealer said that was normal on this model. They wouldn't let me get on the roof to inspect the vent seals because I would have needed to use one of their ladders and they said that it was a liability issue. I was prepared with my own ladder and a tube of dicor as soon as I got off the lot. Thankfully they all looked great and didn't need any touching up. Is the part about the missing ladder correct, or was I correct in feeling that he was trying to rush me off the lot vs addressing issues? -Matt

Welcome to the group from Show Low, Arizona, for now.
As far as the question about the basement wall, some individuals have used aluminum "C" channel as a sliding channel. They then cut the portions of the basement wall down a little so the wall can slide or be tilted in/out.
One addition I did to the basement wall was to add "E Track" sections so I can hang extension cords, hoses, etc...

farfromdunn

Over the weekend I pulled out the aft wall (left) in the basement storage, cleaned up the plumbing, wiring, and ductwork, and gained 3 sqft of previously unused floor space. 3 square feet doesn't sound like a lot, but when you only started with 15 sqft, 3 more is a 20% increase. I'll take it! Next project on the list: 400Ah of solar.

Attachments

• BasementAfter.jpg
    BasementAfter.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 115
  • BasementBefore.jpg
    BasementBefore.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 112

View attachment 64973View attachment 64972View attachment 64971View attachment 64970

Thanks!
So far these are the issues we have encountered and fixed.
First 4 pictures: The wire mess is from the front compartment. The floor vent was not blowing so I removed the wood and found the duct off, simple fix, however I couldn't let it remain this disorganized. Zip ties and clamps to route the wires, I built a 1x2 frame and added this extra space as storage.
Next 2 are the electrical cord, came apart, we had only 1 side of the breaker box working and found that the plug screws holding the wires were loose.
Next pic is our closet. It fell apart on our way from Tennessee to Oklahoma, replaced with cedar planking and added a center brace.
Last picture is on of the master bath sinks. Fell right out! Used construction gorilla glue to reattach. Fixed both and the front sinks.
Also I went and replaced ALL the crimped water connections with Shark Bite connections.

Attachments

• 20211118_115431.jpg
    20211118_115431.jpg
    629.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 20211118_115434.jpg
    20211118_115434.jpg
    687.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 20211118_115441.jpg
    20211118_115441.jpg
    671 KB · Views: 65
  • 20211118_115452.jpg
    20211118_115452.jpg