My fithwheel underbelly was cut

I took my 2020 Heartland Big Country back to General RV with a hydraulic leak that appeared to be coming between the dual tires on passenger's side. When I return to the dealer I learned that the leak was fix but also learned that to access the work area they did it the fast and easy way by cutting my underbelly without my convent. When I asked why the service advisor stated that the manufacture, Heartland agave them the approval to cut the underbelly. Upon checking with Heartland they advised they were never contacted and they would not authorized such repair by cutting the underbelly. Has anyone here have had the same experience. What is my recourse. Heartland advised I should request a whole new underbelly install.k

danemayer

Hi Leonarddiaz,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I think it's pretty common to cut the coroplast in order to make a repair. Perhaps you can convince the dealer to replace the coroplast. But before talking with the dealer, you might call Heartland back and ask them to cover the dealer's labor cost to replace the coroplast. Based on what they told you, they would have authorized that if they'd been asked. If they agree, that would go a long way toward getting the dealer to go along.

An alternative would be to have a 1x4 or 1x6 piece of pressure treated wood installed above the cut. Screw the coroplast into the wood to close the cut and then seal with Gorilla tape or scrim tape. Lots of us have cuts in our coroplast, sealed with tape, and usually without the wood.

RoadJunkie

Well, how large is the cut? Many do-it-your-selfers have found it more convenient to make a flap to repair valves or Leakes and then work to repair the flap through various means. It sounds like your rig may be new and that makes it harder to accept the cutting.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

What he said. My dealer has cut the coroplast as have I. It’d be a real big pain to drop the whole sheet of material and reattach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

The advice from Heartland notwithstanding, like others have mentioned, I too prefer to strategically cut the coroplast for surgical access to a given item. This is typically done with a 3-sided flap cut, then taped. I've had zero issues with this method for access except when I was out of the good tape.

Here's what I use - link:
scrim_tape.jpg

centerline

if they cut a piece OUT, I would have the dealership get another piece of the covering and attach it over the cut out area.... or replace the entire piece.
but if it was cut properly, gorilla duct tape will seal it, or if you want a lifetime repair (until it needs opened again) roof repair tape will seal it for life without ever peeling...
but no matter which tape you use, clean the area well with alcohol first to remove any road grime or debris so the tape will have a chance to do its job.

MTPockets

Cutting the corroplast to make a repair is no big deal. It’s common practice and if properly taped back in place you should never have a problem.

RickL

I had the Heartland Service Center replace one of my faulty grey tanks just this past summer. Want to know what the manufacturer’s service center did - cut the coroplast and taped it. I went ahead and re-taped it with Gorilla tape for my own peace of mind.

sengli

Many years ago on first new RV, I had the same thing happen. I just assumed that the coroplast should have been replaced, not just cut and taped. But it is the standard thing to do for under belly service. Trying to make them replace the entire sheet of coroplast will never fly, and honestly the coroplast is really just a cover not a seal. Towing in the rain, mine filled up like a bladder.

MTPockets

Many years ago on first new RV, I had the same thing happen. I just assumed that the coroplast should have been replaced, not just cut and taped. But it is the standard thing to do for under belly service. Trying to make them replace the entire sheet of coroplast will never fly, and honestly the coroplast is really just a cover not a seal. Towing in the rain, mine filled up like a bladder.
All correct: I had the water intrusion as well when pulling in the rain. I fixed my problem by using 2” wide aluminum flat stock and attaching to frame & corroplast around wheel area and used caulk/sealer as well. This stopped my water intrusion problem.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
All correct: I had the water intrusion as well when pulling in the rain. I fixed my problem by using 2” wide aluminum flat stock and attaching to frame & corroplast around wheel area and used caulk/sealer as well. This stopped my water intrusion problem.

That sounds like a good idea!!

Something else to do. LOL

jbeletti

How well do these taped repairs hold up in VERY rainy climates?

The Scrim Tape holds up very well so long as the surface was prepped well. I wash my coroplast, and I suppose one could wipe it with rubbing alcohol before applying the tape.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Years ago, window flashing tape was recommended, and that is what we’ve used without fail.

Clean with Lysol wipes before applying. It may give and stretch some with time, but it has not come unstuck.

b24031d170d1c834c9481b6d43817b44.png

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
The advice from Heartland notwithstanding, like others have mentioned, I too prefer to strategically cut the coroplast for surgical access to a given item. This is typically done with a 3-sided flap cut, then taped. I've had zero issues with this method for access except when I was out of the good tape.

Here's what I use - link:
View attachment 64981

I have several access flaps cut in mine. As Jim said use a 3 sided cut and I leave the uncut side towards the front of the RV and use the Scrim tape. None of mine have come loose, but if one would happen to while driving the wind would not blow it open. I use alcohol to clean with before applying the tape.