Screen Door Replacement

Speedy

Good day all,

I am wanting to replace our existing screen door mostly because of age. In the process I would like to upgrade it to include storm glass (Plexi of course). I know that a complete replacement of the door would correct this but I think that is going too far time and money wise. Suggest away.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
You can easily replace the screen material. I would recommend lexan instead of plexiglass for the inserts. Costs a little more, but much more scratch resistant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have added lexan/plexiglass to our last 4 campers' screen door. Over time and the location of the door, we started adding tint to the lexan to help block the sun but it started bubbling. The next to the last door, we took it off the frame and ran it down to an auto tinting location which was fantastic but costly. On our current coach, we ordered dark tinted lexan from a glass company. It was about the same cost as the auto tinting place but well worth it.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have added lexan/plexiglass to our last 4 campers' screen door. Over time and the location of the door, we started adding tint to the lexan to help block the sun but it started bubbling. The next to the last door, we took it off the frame and ran it down to an auto tinting location which was fantastic but costly. On our current coach, we ordered dark tinted lexan from a glass company. It was about the same cost as the auto tinting place but well worth it.

JimB helped us procure tinted Lexan already cut to fit for the top, bottom and slider. Unfortunately our measurements were off about 1/8”, and in the process of trying to make it fit, we cracked the top pice of Lexan. So we have it on the bottom and slider only, leaving the top part as screen only. This way we get some breeze through the door and protect the bottom screen from cat claws. The tint also cuts the heat somewhat.

sengli

On our last several fivers, I had issues with the screen door fitting the opening correctly, when new. After talking with the dealer, they said they could not just order and replace the screen door, like you said it required the entire door assembly be swapped. The screen door is riveted on the hinges.

So if thats is true, not sure where you might get just a screen door. Maybe one of the RV salvage places might sell you an entire assembly. If you didnt pick it up in person, bet the shipping would be insane though due to its size.

TravelTiger

Another note, often in the winter the door becomes hard to close. I think it’s due to the heat vent under the stairs, that blows warm air on the inside of the door, while it’s cold outside, causing it to warp slightly. It seems to go back to normal once the temps are less dramatic.

centerline

You can easily replace the screen material. I would recommend lexan instead of plexiglass for the inserts. Costs a little more, but much more scratch resistant.

Lexan = polycarbonate

plexiglas = acrylic

just an FYI.... you may have the properties of polycarbonate vs acrylic confused with each other

Lexan and Plexiglass are trade names.

the polycarbonate, has a much higher impact resistance, but a much lower scratch resistance than acrylic...

the acrylic is more scratch resistant, but is more prone to cracking as it ages, as the impact resistance lowers with uv exposure...

BOTH types can be purchased with scratch resistant coatings, or coatings for higher UV resistance, and/or a bit of a reflective coating.... all of these coating are relatively tough but can be worn off if care is not taken...

replacing the screen in a screen door with plexiglas would be the best choice, for longevity... the window will need to be wiped/washed, but really takes no hard impact, so the lexan, which should have a scratch resistant coating (if you want it to remain crystal clear) would be overkill and twice as expensive...

polycarbonate is commonly used for making bullet-proof glass... acrylic is commonly used as a replacement for actual window glass...

- - - Updated - - -

JimB helped us procure tinted Lexan already cut to fit for the top, bottom and slider. Unfortunately our measurements were off about 1/8”, and in the process of trying to make it fit, we cracked the top pice of Lexan. So we have it on the bottom and slider only, leaving the top part as screen only. This way we get some breeze through the door and protect the bottom screen from cat claws. The tint also cuts the heat somewhat.

if it cracked, it wasnt really lexan.... lexan is strong and tough can be folded in half without breaking.... the extremely tough bubble packaging material that some items are sold in, is polycarbonate... the same as lexan

TravelTiger

Lexan = polycarbonate

plexiglas = acrylic

just an FYI.... you may have the properties of polycarbonate vs acrylic confused with each other

Lexan and Plexiglass are trade names.

the polycarbonate, has a much higher impact resistance, but a much lower scratch resistance than acrylic...

the acrylic is more scratch resistant, but is more prone to cracking as it ages, as the impact resistance lowers with uv exposure...

BOTH types can be purchased with scratch resistant coatings, or coatings for higher UV resistance, and/or a bit of a reflective coating.... all of these coating are relatively tough but can be worn off if care is not taken...

replacing the screen in a screen door with plexiglas would be the best choice, for longevity... the window will need to be wiped/washed, but really takes no hard impact, so the lexan, which should have a scratch resistant coating (if you want it to remain crystal clear) would be overkill and twice as expensive...

polycarbonate is commonly used for making bullet-proof glass... acrylic is commonly used as a replacement for actual window glass...

- - - Updated - - -

if it cracked, it wasnt really lexan.... lexan is strong and tough can be folded in half without breaking.... the extremely tough bubble packaging material that some items are sold in, is polycarbonate... the same as lexan

My bad, it was tinted acrylic.