Dual regulator question

jovol

Hello, I am exploring a potential propane leak on the pigtail hoses (which might be why I've been going through so much propane lately). I have some questions regarding the ACR-2 dual regulator that came on my 2011 big country. Can the regulator be used with only one tank hooked up? I removed one of the pigtails from the regulator and left the other one hooked up to a full propane bottle. I rotated the arrow to point to the hooked up bottle, and I opened the tank's gas valve. I could hear a faint hissing coming out of the open port on the other side of the regulator. Does this indicate a faulty regulator? It is about 10 years old and the manufacturer does list the item as having a ten year lifespan, but I don't want to replace it unnecessarily. I plan on ordered new pigtails, and wondering if I should get a new regulator as well.

danemayer

In normal operation, when one tank runs out, you turn the indicator toward the other and then you can remove the empty tank without propane from the full tank leaking through the disconnected pigtail. If that's not how yours is working, either it's malfunctioning, or the dial pointer needs to go the other direction.

jovol

thanks for the quick response! Mine's definitely not working properly. I have a new one on order.

centerline

ive seen so many of these regulators leak if both tanks are not connected (even new regulators) that its my belief that they are NOT meant to be operated with only one tank connected.... BUT, the leak is usually small enough that you can change the tank on one side, while using the tank on the other side, as long as its done in a reasonable time frame.....

at any rate, no matter how its SUPPOSED to work, I wouldnt trust it to be safe UNLESS a tank is connected to both sides of it...

its my practice to leave the full tank off until after the 1st tank is empty, then I switch the changeover lever on the regulator, and turn on the other tank.. and then close the valve on the empty tank so if the regulator leaks thru, it wont allow any gas from the full tank to leak thru and go into the empty tank... this helps me keep a better idea of how much fuel I have left...

Last edited:

ORV1980

Sherman
Hello, I am exploring a potential propane leak on the pigtail hoses (which might be why I've been going through so much propane lately). I have some questions regarding the ACR-2 dual regulator that came on my 2011 big country. Can the regulator be used with only one tank hooked up? I removed one of the pigtails from the regulator and left the other one hooked up to a full propane bottle. I rotated the arrow to point to the hooked up bottle, and I opened the tank's gas valve. I could hear a faint hissing coming out of the open port on the other side of the regulator. Does this indicate a faulty regulator? It is about 10 years old and the manufacturer does list the item as having a ten year lifespan, but I don't want to replace it unnecessarily. I plan on ordered new pigtails, and wondering if I should get a new regulator as well.

To understand how the regulator is supposed to function go to the Heartland User Guides and read the pages on propane.

https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/?man=Propane

If you want to get more information about the propane systems in an RV you can go to YouTube and see some good videos. Be a little picky about which videos you take advice from. If they are an actual tech from an established shop, they are probably ok. If it is just some guy in a garage, question what he says, especially if it differs from other advice.

A couple of YouTube vids that I thought were good are here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpyTfYjmOgc

And

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD1qcH_hNYY

I have replaced a few regulators on a couple RVs. I have always taken the old part, or a few good pictures, to a propane shop to get replacements. In Oregon I went to Suburban Propane. In Colorado I went to Glaser Gas. Make sure you are talking to a technician wherever you go. I think I got better quality parts and the price was reasonable.

The most important part, if you don't feel 100% comfortable performing the repairs, have it done by a professional. Propane and natural gas can be very dangerous if not handled correctly.
Please be extremely careful! This word is dangerous enough these days.

Sherman

wdk450

A handy tool to help chase possible propane leaks is a tank volume gauge like this, which actually measures tank pressure:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GASONE-...CuB2RUugG8r8DYHX3eRoCep4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

For leak testing you hook up this gauge to a tank, hook the tank pigtail hose to the other end of the guage, make sure all propane consuming appliances are OFF, turn ON that tank's valve, note the gauge reading, then turn OFF the tank valve. If there is a leak in the system beyond the gauge, the gauge needle will drop down (indicating gas pressure lost) within a couple of minutes. If there is no leak, the gauge will remain steady for as long as you test.

ORV1980

Sherman
A handy tool to help chase possible propane leaks is a tank volume gauge like this, which actually measures tank pressure:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GASONE-...CuB2RUugG8r8DYHX3eRoCep4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

For leak testing you hook up this gauge to a tank, hook the tank pigtail hose to the other end of the guage, make sure all propane consuming appliances are OFF, turn ON that tank's valve, note the gauge reading, then turn OFF the tank valve. If there is a leak in the system beyond the gauge, the gauge needle will drop down (indicating gas pressure lost) within a couple of minutes. If there is no leak, the gauge will remain steady for as long as you test.

I like that suggestion Bill! Now I have a good reason to buy another tool, and I can show my wife your post to prove I need it.
Seriously though, that is a good inexpensive way to start a leak check.

sherman

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Actually, the Mopeka tank sensor system will tell you the percentage of liquid propane in the tank. Sends it to your phone and a wall mounted display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk