My 2020 Pioneer Low Point drain is not the lowest point...

marknewbill

Hi all,
I noticed something of a curiosity, while inspecting the plumbing on my brand new pioneer RE275 I found the low point drains are not the lowest point,

let me explain (and yes I understand how syphoning works)
The run of piping comes across the floor going up to the kitchen sink, then to the water heater, and then along the floor to the corner of the enclosure, but here is where it gets interesting. instead of a elbow where it goes out throug a hole in the floor to the drain valve, it makes a sweeping bend up about 6-8 inches high and then down through the hole. (maybe to save a connection or elbow)

Is that normal? I can see how if some water remains in the line, it will NEVER come out that drain unless there is enough to completely fill the entire line then go over the upward sweeping bend, and then out the floor to start syphoning, and if that gets interrupted, the remaining water is trapped.

I know you can blow the lines out, and I also know you can use antifreeze. What I don't know is did they cut a corner here and can/should I have them change it when I bring it in for replacement of the bad microwave?
The other concern I have is they just left all of the metal shavings from cutting the hole for the water heater in the floor under this same space, and the lines are laying in this stuff. that seems real bad for the long term.

What does your drains look like, are they truly the lowest point?
Thanks for all your suggestions and help.
MN

danemayer

A few things to think about.

• Our 2011 Landmark doesn't have low point drains. They can cause freezeups when using the RV in sub-freezing weather. The luxury coaches, perhaps more likely to be used in the winter) eliminated low-point drains quite a few years ago, although someone has reported recently seeing them on a Landmark.
  • Winterizing without compressed air or antifreeze is risky. The toilet, water pump/strainer, faucet heads, and p-traps may still retain enough water to cause damage in a freeze.
  • If under warranty, you could ask your dealer to correct it. They'll likely cut the coroplast. Some people don't care for cuts, so weigh your options.

marknewbill

Thanks, I know its been forever since you replied. I decided to just blow out the water and use antifreeze. I am not sure why these drains are there - since the blown air gets out more water then they do- , it may be better off if I just cut them off and cap them (actually just reroute the pipes such the drains were never there so there is no stub with water in it. it would be one less thing to worry about opening and closing during the winter.